The Hurt Locker

navrocky

Hurt Locker wins the Oscar for the best picture!

May all the contributors who took part in the short lived discussion regarding this film; the lad who "You Tubed" his critique; those who expertly expressed and pointed out its flaws; and all the people who served in our armed forces doing their jobs, take pride in the penultimate recognition of this fine film and may we all take pride in its glorious theme. Congratulations to all those talented people who created such an exemplary crafted film.

Just watched it last night and I have to say it was one of the best war films I have seen in a long time. The two hours just flew by and what a great ending :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll repeat my disclamer from the previous Hurt Locker thread: "Any resemblance to actual EOD Soldiers -- living or dead -- is purely coincidental, The audience must tacitly agree to provisionally suspend their disbelief and judgment in exchange for the promise of entertainment. The Hollywood formula of dramatic explosions and the stereotypical cowboy, lone wolf, damaged Soldier unable to adjust to civilian life is in effect."

And after last night, "No Hollywood egos were harmed in the production of this movie." The focus of the Academy Award for best Director and Movie seemed to be more politically focused on recognizing the first women director to win an Academy Award than the merits of the movie.

Here's an interesting comparison of Hurt Locker vs. Avatar, as political allegories, from the UK Telegraph. Interesting food-for-thought....

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegard...-at-the-oscars/

And the text of that link:

I’m glad The Hurt Locker triumphed over Avatar at tonight’s Oscars. Not only is Hurt Locker a far superior film – with standout performances, an intelligent and brilliantly executed script, as well as three dimensional lead characters – it is also a tremendously patriotic film which pays tribute to the courage of American troops serving in Iraq. For all these reasons I named it as one of the top 10 conservative movies of the last decade. The film won six awards, including Best Picture, Best Director (Kathryn Bigelow), and Best Original Screenplay.

I acknowledge that Hurt Locker has attracted a good deal of controversy and has divided opinion in the States over aspects of historical accuracy, and the debate will continue to rage. But I believe it thoroughly deserved its Oscar wins, and that the powerful message it projects about the US mission in Iraq and those who serve in the American armed forces, is an overwhelmingly positive one.

Avatar is technically brilliant with the most sophisticated special effects ever committed to celluloid. Its director James Cameron has made some of the greatest sci-fi films in history and has been a visionary and ground-breaking figure in Hollywood for over 25 years. The film deservedly picked up awards for Visual Effects and Cinematography , but was not deserving of a Best Picture win.

The acting in Avatar was mediocre, the storyline simplistic, and frankly large stretches of the movie, while visually impressive, were rather dull. In terms of sheer cinematic excitement, Avatar is not in the same league as Cameron’s earlier classics, Terminator and Aliens, and less engaging than Titanic.

But what I found most jarring about Avatar was its overtly anti-American and anti-military bias. As I wrote at the time of the film’s release in December:

Avatar “is an intensely political vehicle with a distinct agenda. In fact I would describe it as one of the most left-wing films in the history of modern American cinema, and perhaps the most commercially successful political movie of our time. While the vast majority of cinemagoers will simply see it as popcorn entertainment, Avatar is at its heart a cynical and deeply unpatriotic propaganda piece, aimed squarely against American global power and the projection of US economic and military might across the world.”

Cameron himself has confirmed that in his mind, Avatar is in part an allegory of both the war in Iraq as well as the wider War on Terror. In an interview with The Times he declared:

“We went down a path that cost several hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives. I don’t think the American people even know why it was done. So it’s all about opening your eyes.”

“We know what it feels like to launch the missiles. We don’t know what it feels like for them to land on our home soil, not in America. I think there’s a moral responsibility to understand that.”

Avatar cost up to $400 million to produce and market. In contrast, The Hurt Locker had a budget of just $11 million. Avatar is in essence a hugely expensive political statement against America’s leadership of the world, and the US-led war in Iraq. The Hurt Locker is not an overtly political movie, but it pays tribute to the tremendous bravery and sacrifice of American troops fighting in Iraq, at a time when Hollywood has produced a slew of anti-war movies.

The Hurt Locker is a brave film that goes against the conventional wisdom in an overwhelmingly left-wing film-making community, and which struck a powerful chord with both critics and the American public. The Hurt Locker was the clear underdog in this year’s Oscar contest, and its stunning win over a far larger adversary was a triumph for an independent movie that celebrates the heroism and dedication of American troops on the battlefield in the face of a brutal enemy.

"The Turd Locker"....... the derisive title it is known by amongst many non-fictional personnel who have non-fictional experience in Iraq, and the Army in general.

Manchu Warrior

I really must have missed something because I really didn't think it was that great of a movie. :think:

The most interesting thing about Kathryn Bigelow winning best director for "The Hurt Locker" was who handed off the Oscar to her…Mis anti war herself, Barbra Streisand. I might be looking too deep into it but what's the odds of that?? But it probably has more to do with a woman receiving an Oscar for best director for the first time.

As far as war movies goes. I'm more into WWII war movies than anything to do with the war we are in now. But the "The Hurt Locker" did hold my interest.

"The Turd Locker"....... the derisive title it is known by amongst many non-fictional personnel who have non-fictional experience in Iraq, and the Army in general.

Of course EVERY war movie ever made was "not the way it was," according to anyone who was in the real thing, and in fact that's true of all movies, no matter the subject, war or peace: movies are not reality. The problem, of course, is that a lot of people seem to think they are and get their perception of history from Oliver Stone and other Hollywood writers and directors, and it will always be that that, which is why it's important as collectors to do what you can to preserve the real history.

I guess the reason that I'm so vocal in my criticism of the movie, swimming against the tide of swooning admirers, is that I work with Army EOD soldiers every day. What you see in the movie is the atithesis of what these professionals are and do.

I was waiting for the director to thank the US Army for all of it's support in the film. And a couple of veteran EOD soldiers to be recognized by a standing applause. But that didn't happen because the Army pulled it's support to the film in 2007 and has been largely silent since. See: http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section...p;article=68347

This stands in stark contrast to the movie Dear John, a romantic drama about a soldier who falls in love with a conservative college student which the Army has pulled out all the stops to support with huge posters at MWR facilities.

I also found it interesting that for all the celebration of women a the Oscars that no women EOD soldiers were depicted in the movie, even thought the actual unit the screen play is based on had women in its teams.

I'm waiting for the Hurt Locker sequel, the story of a crack Mortuary Affairs sniper team that goes behind the lines in Afghanistan to advenge the dead that they see and treat with reverent honor day in and day out. The working title is the Dead Locker.

The most interesting thing about Kathryn Bigelow winning best director for "The Hurt Locker" was who handed off the Oscar to her…Mis anti war herself, Barbra Streisand. I might be looking too deep into it but what's the odds of that??

I guess Jane Fonda wasn't available that night.

I guess the reason that I'm so vocal in my criticism of the movie, swimming against the tide of swooning admirers, is that I work with Army EOD soldiers every day. What you see in the movie is the atithesis of what these professionals are and do.

I was waiting for the director to thank the US Army for all of it's support in the film. And a couple of veteran EOD soldiers to be recognized by a standing applause. But that didn't happen because the Army pulled it's support to the film in 2007 and has been largely silent since. See: http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section...p;article=68347

This stands in stark contrast to the movie Dear John, a romantic drama about a soldier who falls in love with a conservative college student which the Army has pulled out all the stops to support with huge posters at MWR facilities.

I also found it interesting that for all the celebration of women a the Oscars that no women EOD soldiers were depicted in the movie, even thought the actual unit the screen play is based on had women in its teams.

I'm waiting for the Hurt Locker sequel, the story of a crack Mortuary Affairs sniper team that goes behind the lines in Afghanistan to advenge the dead that they see and treat with reverent honor day in and day out. The working title is the Dead Locker.

How about a movie about CIA Secret Squirrel podiatrists that that parachute into Pakistan to avenge their fallen arches? The name of the movie? The "Foot Locker"! :rolleyes:

Mr. Cameron (aka "King of the World") must've been out of the country on 9/11:

"... Cameron himself has confirmed that in his mind, Avatar is in part an allegory of both the war in Iraq as well as the wider War on Terror. In an interview with The Times he declared:

“We went down a path that cost several hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives. I don’t think the American people even know why it was done. So it’s all about opening your eyes.”

“We know what it feels like to launch the missiles. We don’t know what it feels like for them to land on our home soil, not in America. I think there’s a moral responsibility to understand that.”

'The Hurt Locker' is lowest-grossing movie to ever win Best Picture:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/m...et_postosc.html

That lnk does not work (very long URL's can be a problem when pasted into forum posts).

Drudge Report called this "'BEST PICTURE' NO ONE EVER SAW..." and linked to a story that included this:

hl.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahaaha. Do you mind if I borrow that for elsewhere?

Hahahahahahahahahaaha. Do you mind if I borrow that for elsewhere?

Feel free to use it. I thought the Turd Locker was funny as well.

Thanks. Oh, and can't claim the title, just something I heard passing around, and thought it appropriate.

Fieger sues 'Hurt Locker' makers

Doug Guthrie / The Detroit News

Southfield -- A real life U.S. Army explosives expert sat beside lawyer Geoffrey Fieger today to announce a lawsuit that claims his identity and personal exploits were stolen by the makers of the Academy Award nominated movie "The Hurt Locker."

Master Sgt. Jeffrey Sarver and his lawyer say the screenplay's author Mark Boal directly evolved the movie from a story he wrote for Playboy magazine about Sarver and his unit in Iraq in 2004. Boal spent almost 30 days with Sarver's unit as an embedded journalist.

"They never offered me anything," Sarver said. "I'm pretty upset. They left me out."

Similarities between Sarver and the movie's main character William James are too numerous to be coincidence, Fieger said.

From The Detroit News:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100303/ME...f#ixzz0hgzDA1x8

War Veterans Say The Hurt Locker 'Too Much John Wayne':

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpps/entertainment/...0100303_6372357

For the most part, criticism has focused on the character of Sgt. James, the movie's lead character. Ryan Gallucci, who served in Iraq in 2003 and now works for Amvets, a veterans' organization, said, “I thought the movie was great until the time they introduced the character played by Jeremy Renner. After that it was all downhill. I felt they portrayed the military in a negative fashion. I had to turn it off several times and, in the end, I was pulling for him to get blown up.”

Great to see a subject handling the war get a prize .

Its a Hollywood plot with plenty of make believe but then so is Pawn stars and it got nothing

owen

True. But the Pawn Star guys are not representations of guys who are at this very moment sacrificing and bleeding for real either.

My thoughts on the movie:

I went into the theater knowing that I would experience a "movie." I accepted that the film would be a mix of fact and fiction...and that its purpose was to entertain me while hopefully opening a window on a compelling slice of the Army's work in Iraq. With some really cool explosions.

I expected this movie to be no more truthful and no more deceptive than a movie like: Platoon; or Kelly’s Heroes; or Memphis Belle; of Best Years of our Lives; or Inglorious Basterds; or Thin Red Line; or The Enemy Below; or Full Metal Jacket; or Windtalkers; or Dirty Dozen; or Saving Private Ryan (where an NCO pulls a pistol to quell an inconceivable Ranger mutiny)...in other words: every Hollywood war movie.

But what happened on Sunday night on the Oscar stage made my personal opinion of the film’s quality or technical accuracy momentarily trivial. The Oscar attendees - and half a billion viewers worldwide - heard a Hollywood director stand up and thank the women and men who wear the uniform of the United States Armed Forces for their hard work and sacrifices, and wish them a safe return home.

The world heard a message that doesn’t get broadcast often enough. Here was the person who made “the best picture of the year” – Hollywood’s newly crowned royal Highness – using her moment in the world’s spotlight to declare respect, concern, and care for members of the armed forces. And I surely hope that message resonated with some young, impressionable viewers who aspire to become Hollywood big shots someday.

I’d trade all the eye rolling from a theater full of “stitch Nazis” and “I was there and therefore I saw it all” veterans to hear that message of gratitude to our servicemen and women play out on the world stage again and again.

My last point is on the topic of “authenticity”- and I’m not talking about observations like “ACU’s weren’t in wide use at that time”:

On one hand we hear EOD veterans deriding the characters as phonies and reckless cowboys….while on the other hand we hear from a soldier suing the filmmakers for creating a character that does “exactly” what he did during his tour in EOD. So whose truth is the real truth? Is there one truth? Hard to say. We don’t live in a black or white world. We all live our lives navigating the nuances of a vast “gray area”. So the real story is probably a mix of both…maybe just the right mix to make a good movie.

Rob L.

My thoughts on the movie:........

Thank you RobL! I was beginning to think that to disagree with the negative reviews would not be tolerated. Like any war film, they are never done the way it really happened. Look at the films produced during WWII or need I bring up all the mistakes in the movie the Sea Bee's with John Wayne(my favorite button popping patriotic war movie as a teenager)? I personally have not seen this current film, my sons have(one in the Army as a medic and one in Tactical Nuclear Security). Both have said that if you take out the obvious mistakes and ignore the Hollywood bravado, American soldiers come out of this film looking very good. So, OK, it's Hollywood, they got it wrong in a few area's, every war film does, but it's still Hollywood! With all the liberal Hollywood sewage that usually comes out against our military, isn't it at least refreshing to see it win in the Oscars and for Soldiers serving our country to at least get recognized in a positive light?

PREcisely! My point exactly when submitting this topic for discussion. Well said and well stated!!

My thoughts on the movie:

I went into the theater knowing that I would experience a "movie." I accepted that the film would be a mix of fact and fiction...and that its purpose was to entertain me while hopefully opening a window on a compelling slice of the Army's work in Iraq. With some really cool explosions.

I expected this movie to be no more truthful and no more deceptive than a movie like: Platoon; or Kelly's Heroes; or Memphis Belle; of Best Years of our Lives; or Inglorious Basterds; or Thin Red Line; or The Enemy Below; or Full Metal Jacket; or Windtalkers; or Dirty Dozen; or Saving Private Ryan (where an NCO pulls a pistol to quell an inconceivable Ranger mutiny)...in other words: every Hollywood war movie.

But what happened on Sunday night on the Oscar stage made my personal opinion of the film's quality or technical accuracy momentarily trivial. The Oscar attendees - and half a billion viewers worldwide - heard a Hollywood director stand up and thank the women and men who wear the uniform of the United States Armed Forces for their hard work and sacrifices, and wish them a safe return home.

The world heard a message that doesn't get broadcast often enough. Here was the person who made "the best picture of the year" – Hollywood's newly crowned royal Highness – using her moment in the world's spotlight to declare respect, concern, and care for members of the armed forces. And I surely hope that message resonated with some young, impressionable viewers who aspire to become Hollywood big shots someday.

I'd trade all the eye rolling from a theater full of "stitch Nazis" and "I was there and therefore I saw it all" veterans to hear that message of gratitude to our servicemen and women play out on the world stage again and again.

My last point is on the topic of "authenticity"- and I'm not talking about observations like "ACU's weren't in wide use at that time":

On one hand we hear EOD veterans deriding the characters as phonies and reckless cowboys….while on the other hand we hear from a soldier suing the filmmakers for creating a character that does "exactly" what he did during his tour in EOD. So whose truth is the real truth? Is there one truth? Hard to say. We don't live in a black or white world. We all live our lives navigating the nuances of a vast "gray area". So the real story is probably a mix of both…maybe just the right mix to make a good movie.

Rob L.