• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Jack's Son

LEGION of MERIT--Showcase

A scan of what appears to be a Legion of Merit lapel pin is below along with a WWII PH lapel pin for size comparison.

The lapel pin screws on. No visable markings. I don't know what type of LOM it was for. Chief Commander comes to mind since it looks like the medal/badge.

post-8808-1271964771.jpg

Lots of very nice LOM picutres ..I enjoy going through and reading this thread.

I don't have a separate pic of just the LOM so here is a small group. This LOM is not named (nor the others) but they are from a retired Marine Colonel that I obtained awhile back when I got his three dress uniforms. It's a modern era since he retired around 2000 or 2001 IIRC.

IMG_1886.jpg

RIP Molly...Oct. 2000 - July 2013 For 13 years you have been my best friend and companion, giving love and asking only for love in return. May you rest now, free from your pain. I will miss you girl, and will keep you in my heart forever....the sweetest dog and best friend ever! I'll see you again one day.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Hi all,

This is a very interresting thread, I've gained a lot of knowledge on this very nice award.

Regards,

Kerry

Looking for any American medal named to the surname "BULOW".

A bit unconventional. But nice.

post-9621-1272739976.jpg

Since this thread has been reborn, I will soon be able to display my newest addition to a growing collection

"Everyday sounds like the 4th of July." -Anonymous Combat Engineer from 6th Army

Banner-1.jpg

Since this thread has been reborn, I will soon be able to display my newest addition to a growing collection

It is very striking when you take a close look at it. Gives me new respect for the look of award. Here is the only one I have.

Regards

John

post-5224-1272750902.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hello All,

Here is a Legion of Merit degree of Officer to an Australian Officer, Lt Colonel William Vere Jardine-Blake. He served during WW1 and WW2 and is one of only six Australians who recieved this award during WW2.

Regards,

Kerry Bulow

post-7278-1273022271.jpg

Looking for any American medal named to the surname "BULOW".

A bit unconventional. But nice.

I've got to ask...what's the story on this group? It's nothing short of odd...

Dave

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I've got to ask...what's the story on this group? It's nothing short of odd...

Dave

Dave - these are my personal awards. They are the three that make all others redundant and that best sum up my service. I do also have a full set, but prefer these simple three and the elegant but foreign way a Canadian friend mounted them. The LOM is old and gorgeous as is the SM. My kids don't know what they are and will likely discard them some day. I hope that in the distant future they end up in a passionate collector's hands and on this forum with the question asked of why some doofus mounted them this way.  The truth is that I just like them like this.  Tom

Here is a group of miniature medals that belonged to Rear Admiral James Kepler Davis U.S. Navy. Rear Admiral Davis was a 1916 graduate if the Naval Academy and retired in 1947. The group is named and I think mounted in England and in a Spink box.

post-9487-1306517751.jpg

post-9487-1306517761.jpg

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Here's my fathers display including LoM.f54cb034.jpg

Did you ever find anything out about his Defense Distinguished Service Medal? It shouldn't be at the bottom, it should be the very first ribbon.

Dave

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Ok, here are some shots of a framed setup I made for my displays with the history and description of the grades. And the others are a few of my cased sets. The LOM is one of the most attractive of the US medals in my opinion and has always been one of my favorites. :thumbsup: And being the only one in different grades for foreigners the possibilities are endless!

With the flash OFF the un-natural light made the blue background look purple! :blink:

post-15093-1307026290.jpg

WANT TO BUY:

Titled case set "U.S. Typhus Commission";

Titled case "Medal for Merit";

ASMIC: 1677

OMSA: 6045

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif