LEGION of MERIT--Showcase

Jack's Son

• 2 weeks later...

More from our good friend Tom on this newest LOM in my home.

Tom writes: LOM #7032 is traceable to 1st Sgt. Andrew C. Bichke, F/339 Inf Regt., 85th Division, ASN 6,810,832. His 6 million serial number indicates he was a career NCO with pre-WW2 service. The 85th fought only in Italy. It is only the second one found to be number traceable, out of the many requests from Forum members. In addition, an LOM to an enlisted man is rather scarce. Of the 20,273 US Army LOMs awarded for WW2, only 3114 or 15.4% were enlisted awards.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to upload the reverse, but after several failed attempts, I give up. The picture has 123 kb at my computer. Less then 150 kb !

LoM Chief Commander presented to Chiang Kai-Shek

Two items: FDC, bearing a cachet honoring Chinese leader Chiang Kai-Shek, signed on the front in black felt tip, Joseph W. Stilwell, Gen. U.S.A.; and an ink signature in Chinese of Chiang on an embossed, off-white, The President of the Republic of China card. Shadowboxed with a portrait of Stilwell pinning the Legion of Merit on Chiang in July 1943, an award only bestowed upon heads of state. Also displayed is a genuine Chief Commander badge, to an overall size of 19.75 x 15.75. In overall fine condition.

http://www.icollector.com/Joseph-Stilwell-and-Chiang-Kai-Shek_i9873278

Please, can someone from this forum upload the picture ?

( I reduced the picture and at my computer the size is 139 kb, also smaller then 150 kb )

Here is a group of miniature medals with the LOM to Lt. Col. Lloyd W. Sterns. The group is in a Spink and Son Ltd. leather case. He was awarded the LOM along with the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus (the highest knightly order of Italy) and the Order of the Crown of Italy. The LOM is engraved with his initials. Lt.Col. Lloyd W. Stearns was Flag Lt. to the Commanding Officer of Allied Control Commission, Admiral Stone, in Italy.

Dick

post-9487-0-63855900-1367183818.jpg

post-9487-0-50381900-1367183844.jpg

post-9487-0-42385400-1367183866.jpg

Hello

Here are the pictures from the Legion of Merit, number 2551, full wrap brooch, officer device "STERLING I.R."

HAVE FUN

Michael

post-8324-0-68108100-1367332258.jpg