Wolf & Brown Plastic Coated Ribbons

0811gysgt

I know some of you members collect these too.

I don't know anyone who possess' or has seen the MOH in this variation of ribbon.

Does anyone have an idea when Wolf Brown stopped making these type of plastic coated ribbons? It seems like the newest ribbon I have is for the USCG Achievement Medal.

I am always looking for the ones that I don't have, so please PM me if you have one for sale.

I am also selling some of my own duplicates in the forum sale section.

I know Wolf Brown was a Los Angeles, CA based company that went out of business in the early 80's?

post-8847-1263356371.jpg

Nice collection, I too have a few. I use mine to restore uniforms and such but I do have some saved back. These are my US Army WW2. There are some dupes.

post-736-1263419699.jpg

Now these type you did not address. They look like paper or material that has been pressed between 2 thin sheets of plastic. Then the pin back is applied. These too are marked Wolf Brown LA patent pending. They bow with age. I believe they made DUI's using the same process.

post-736-1263419979.jpg

Gunny:

AWESOME collection of Wolf Browns! I had no idea they made the plastic covered ribbons as late as the USCG achievement...the latest I have ever seen is an NDSM.

To answer your question, yes MOH ones did exist, I've had one in my hands long ago though...

Dave

Gunny:

AWESOME collection of Wolf Browns! I had no idea they made the plastic covered ribbons as late as the USCG achievement...the latest I have ever seen is an NDSM.

To answer your question, yes MOH ones did exist, I've had one in my hands long ago though...

Dave

Thank You Dave.

I have never seen the MOH in W/B plastic and probably never will.

Rocco

Wow! :w00t: That is a fine collection you have, Rocco. I love that Wolf-Brown ribbons still look brand-new, despite being 65 years old. I have a few myself, and the worst damage to any of them is one ribbon bar has very slight fading on the top edge of the three ribbons. I wish these guys were still in business and making ribbons.

EDIT:

I just noticed the CG Achievement ribbon. I've never seen a Wolf-Brown ribbon that recent. Very nice!

Stinger Gunner USMC

Great job Gunny! No doubt that you out bid me on a few of them over the years on ebay. Ive never seen such a complete collection of the W-B ribbons

Captainofthe7th

Nice collection! I love WB ribbons, I think they are some of the best looking. I try to accumulate as many as I can....

I have a few that are too small or too loose on a bar...is there a way to un-warp these? Will some sort of heat work or will that just ruin them?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I've also noticed that WB ribbons differ in size (thickness? other?). The difference is slight, but would require different thickness mounting bars. Otherwise, like you said they'd be too loose on the bar, or wouldn't slide on at all. I definitely wouldn't try heating them, you may risk melting the plastic or further warping them. I'd set the odd-sized one aside as loose examples, rather than trying to bend them. Better to have a few loose ribbons in perfect condition, than several broken ones. Just my two cents :)

Captainofthe7th

I figured I'd leave them be. I just wasn't sure if there was a proven method. The tight ones are okay and I can eventually get them onto a bar...the loose ones, depending on severity, I have found them on original bars where the loose ribbon is in the center of two others.

Rob

My most recent addition. No quite the MOH, but still very RARE. This is the 1st W/B Brevet that I have ever seen.

I purchased a Sampson Medal W/B Ribbon last year that was unfortunately lost in the mail, along with one or two other rare ones.

Does anyone own one like this?

post-8847-1263906115.jpg

Anbody got a nice plastic coated ribbon bar for the 1950's National Defense Medal? I need one to repair a very significant group of ribbon bars...

Erich

• 1 year later...
Too Much WW1 Militaria

All,

Does anyone have a spare 5/16th Distinguished Service Cross Wolf Brown they can spare? I need it for the ribbon rack of William Leverette.

Thanks,

John

In looking at this thread, please clarify for me, is the question with this thread whether MoH and Brevet Medal large style W-B ribbons exist at all or is it do they exist with the plastic coating?

MW

Neat display of WB ribbons. I have seen tons of WB ribbons and ribbon group and have also never seen a MOH ribbon from this firm.

Do you have any British DFC duplicates?

In looking at this thread, please clarify for me, is the question with this thread whether MoH and Brevet Medal large style W-B ribbons exist at all or is it do they exist with the plastic coating?

MW

I cannot speak for the Brevet Medal ribbon, though one is posted here, but I do know for a fact that Wolf Browne manufactured the plastic slide-on ribbons for the MOH in both army and navy sizes. I have never owned either, but know a collector who has a WWII MOH recipient's uniform with a plastic slider MOH and recall seeing a 1/2" navy MOH in a display of WB ribbons several years ago.

Allan

• 1 year later...

Anyone have a WB Brevet plastic coated they are willing to part with I need it to finish a collection.

Any help appreciated

Jonathan

• 9 months later...
shrapneldude

post-1424-0-12679300-1402082949.jpg

post-1424-0-62522500-1402082959.jpg

Here are two ribbon bars for the Brevet Medal I have in my collection - one is a Wolf Brown plastic style like yours that came off one of the display cards, and the other is a wax coated one, both the Navy/Marine Corps "Wide" style.

• 1 year later...
medalcollector

I'm sorry to post this question in a thread that hasn't been active In a while, but this is the best place.

Have anyone ever seen a 1/2" WB Korean War ribbons?

Thanks.

There were no 1/2" Korean War era Wolf Brown ribbon bars. The practice of 1/2" ribbon bars stopped around 1947 and after that all services wore the same size ribbons. I believe the last 1/2" ribbon bar produced by Wolf Abrown would have been the Occupation Medal for WWII.

I, too, saw a MOH, it was cut off-center so the left most star was on the very edge. An eBay seller listed it and then eBay pulled it