3rd Armored M-1...ID'd Medic

wdphll

Wade,

Wow!! That is an awesome lid and uniform. It doesn't get much better than that! thumbsup.gif

Are the markings decals or painted?

Tyler

Thanks for your comments...I about fell over when I first saw it...To answer your question Tyler, they are decals, and are glued on. With what I have no idea. Only things painted are the capt. bars on the liner and the Officers stripe on the helmet.

Wade

Great helmet!

Here's a still photo from the 3rd AD in Normandy dvd series by Combat Reels. Photo shows an officer in Normandy wearing a marked helmet very similar to the one posted.

PDVD_035.jpg

Wade, I can't think of too many people who deserve a grouping like this, more than you! Absolutely stunning grouping with rock solid provenance... it is to drool over! I like the display with the mannequin wearing the helmet and the officers visor under the arm of the jacket. Neat idea! Also, there is nothing more thought provoking than to see the man and his lid reunited in the cemetery. I could go on and on about the helmet, the markings, the uniform, the BS and the PH but, what it really comes down to is that you are now the curator of the remembrances of a mans dedicated service to his country in the time of greatest need! Carry the honor with humility! thumbsup.gif

just-a-good-ole-boy

Wade.................uh..Im almost speechless! That is a wonderful group. I had no idea it was gonna be that nice! Great score!

Wade, I can't think of too many people who deserve a grouping like this, more than you! Absolutely stunning grouping with rock solid provenance... it is to drool over! I like the display with the mannequin wearing the helmet and the officers visor under the arm of the jacket. Neat idea! Also, there is nothing more thought provoking than to see the man and his lid reunited in the cemetery. I could go on and on about the helmet, the markings, the uniform, the BS and the PH but, what it really comes down to is that you are now the curator of the remembrances of a mans dedicated service to his country in the time of greatest need! Carry the honor with humility! thumbsup.gif

Thank you for the kind words... Coming from you, that means a lot! I collect for the sole purpose of the memory of the men who fought in WW2..this grouping is an HONOR for me to own. It will now take its place next to many other examples of items owned by the greatest generation of men to ever to have graced this earth.

Wade.................uh..Im almost speechless! That is a wonderful group. I had no idea it was gonna be that nice! Great score!

Thanks steve..now you know what I felt like when you showed off your 3rd Armored lid. They deserve to sit next to one another! :P

That's a fantastic helmet and an even better grouping!

I've only seen a few marked 3AD helmets, and I've missed out on (or couldn't afford) all of them.

If the grouping ever needs a new home.......

Congrats on a great grouping!

Steve

• 3 years later...

Hello everybody - I'm new to this forum, and I just found this very old thread about Captain Ashline's Uniform.

First I have to say that it is an awesome grouping - My congrats to the proud and lucky owner, it is really outstanding.

It holds a special significance to me because I happen to have Captain Ashline's Mackinaw.

I've been told that he used to own it when he was stationed in the UK, and when he left - to get back to the US, I've been told, but maybe he left to Normandy, I can't be sure about it, the story is a bit confused - he gave the Mackinaw to this roommate, Captain George Holliday, who was there " to fly B17 over Europe" and took it back to the US after war's end.

For me it was incredible to see more of Captain Ashline's heirlooms coming out of the shadows, and I think it is not very common to find out different thigs belonging to the same person.

So thank you for posting these pics and infos, and my compliments again - even after such a long time - for the beautiful grouping.

Ciddu

mackinaw.jpg

mackinaw12.jpgmackinaw17.jpg

I don't know where i was to miss this :o

What a fantastic helmet and grouping.

Ciddu that's a very interesting addition to the story -I'm sure Wade will like the extra information.

Regards

Richard

Hi Wade,

Thats a Fantastic IDed 3rd A.D Grouping you have got there belonging to an Officer along with his 4 Pocket Dress Uniform

love that Helmet with its matching Liner Very Nice Group indeed ;)

Its amazing how another Forum Member has that Capt's Mackinaw Over Coat

i remember a year or two ago a member also had a Dress Uniform to a Tanker here IDed and the rest of his

combat Uniform was for sale on Paratroopers .Fr in Normandy its amazing how items travel around the world.

Tomás.

• 10 years later...

Yes. Seriously amazing. Im

on the hunt for a nice armored division helmet. This one is spectacular. Wonder where it is now. Hopefully he kept it. 
Z