Pre WWI awards of the Purple Heart

LYONSJ9

Hey guys! I just bought a Spanish American War Purple Heart group, and was curious as to how many were awarded during this conflict and the other Pre WWI campaigns (Civil War, Indian Wars, Boxer Rebellion, and etc.). Seems to be a greatly overlooked aspect of the history of the award. 

Bruce Linz

Bill I think you are right.  In fact, I think there is a list of Civil War PH recipients on the forum.  I was always surprised by how long the list is.

I saw the CW thread, but it didn't really say anything about the other conflicts. 

Bruce Linz

I not sure if anyone has pieced together a list and shared it on the forum.  Quite a few PH awarded for SpanAm. 

5 hours ago, Bruce Linz said:

I not sure if anyone has pieced together a list and shared it on the forum.  Quite a few PH awarded for SpanAm. 

Do you know roughly how many?

The award cards are filed alphabetically not by conflict however Fred Borch in his Purple Heart book stated that there were 1,584 WIA’s for the Spanish American war period - These men would have been in their 60’s or 70’s in 1932 when the Purple Heart was first issued so if 25% applied (just guessing) would be about 345 Purple Heart medals.

Bill

KASTAUFFER

They are very tough to find. I have found 5 Span Am/Philippine Insurrection Purple Hearts in the last 40 years.