There's a pin at a local flea market that I've seen and was wondering if anyone else might have seen a similar one.

It's a small, circular pin obviously designed to be worn on the lapel (the device on the back is like the ones on Ruptured Duck Lapel pins given in WWII), and it has a bronze-like finish similar to those of WWI era collar discs. In the middle of the button is a 13 star shield with "Exempt" over it and "US" under it.

My first inclination is to say it's WWI era and "Exempt" meaning "Exempt from the Draft". Has anyone heard of any buttons like this?

Thanks.

donation2015.gifdonation2018.gif

I don't recall any reference to it, but I have a couple and assume the same meaning as you.

BKW

Thanks. That's the only explanation I can think of for that sort of pin. I had read that guys in that time period were frowned upon if they weren't in uniform or could produce a draft registration card if they looked healthy. I would imagine that that sort of "Exempt" pin could deflect that sort of attention.

donation2015.gifdonation2018.gif

It should be remebered that MANY people were exempt from service during the war by virtue of their civilain jobs.

My father tried to enlist sometime after Pearl Harbor but they wouldn't take him. He worked for BETHLEHEM STEEL in the steel rolling mill and was considered an Essential War Worker.

This held true for numerous occupations thru-out WWII. The theory was basically we can get lots of guys to tote a rifle but certain skills are vital to the war effort.

I've been collecting for over 50 years and have never seen the aforementioned pin. It's always a pleasure to learn something new here.

regards,

Bob Frey