WW2 German State Veteran's Organization Flag

bryang

I believe that this flag may count as a U.S. "bring back" of sorts, as it came to be in the U.S. by an interesting route.

My father was career U.S. Army as a Criminal Investigation Division (CID) Special Agent.  When he returned from Vietnam in '73 we were stationed in Belgium, and the Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe.  I was eleven at the time, and found interest in collecting vintage military items.  To this end, I spending my weekly allowance on old WW2 helmets at the local Sunday morning flea market in Mons.

In 1974, or so, a CID Agent who worked with my father learned that I was collecting military items, and so he gave me this flag set up.  This flag is of the State Veteran's Organization, which   understand was comprised of WW1 German Vets who served again in WW2.  This set up includes the original black leather case, flag with topper, and two sections of pole which connect.  The top features a First World War Iron Cross as the center of the swastika.

This flag came to this CID Agent while he was stationed in West Germany a few years prior (in the late '60's).  He told my father and me that one evening he had stopped at a local gasthouse for dinner, and noticed that there was a group of elderly German men drinking beer and telling old war stories.  After a few beers, the men began singing some of their old marching songs, when one of them left and returned with their old flag.  The German polizei showed up and confronted the old men about the flag.  The American CID Agent had worked with the German police and happened to recognize one of them.  He intervened, and explained that the old guys were harmless, and had simply been drinking and sharing old stories.  The German police were okay with the explanation and left.

The elderly German Vets were appreciative of the American who spoke up for them, and so they gave him this flag ... which he eventually passed on to me.

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

USCapturephotos

Really interesting story. I could picture all of those old guys singing after a few beers in my minds eye. Thanks for sharing with us.

Paul