What Civilian Boot most resembles a Korean War Shoe Pac?

USMC_COLLECTOR

• 4 weeks later...
USMC_COLLECTOR

I am looking for something that closely resembles this. It was like a winter boot used in Korea. 

image.png.4cdabc2559b9ec005d56cdc32fc02e02.png

image.png.6f0ce8d910711a942860d6c3d8db7a6c.png

image.png.5d6c92a45aad3464c9afc82f35542fdb.png

27 minutes ago, themick said:

What is a "shoe pac" as opposed to an actual shoe?

Steve

28 minutes ago, themick said:

What is a "shoe pac" as opposed to an actual shoe?

My Dad got his Shoepacs in December 1944.  Here are some photos from his "liberated camera".  I think these are shoepacs.

The boots on the left are a little hard to tell but I can see the "ribs" running along the top of the ones on the right.  

ShoePack.JPG.dfb7f60192b0a9f893af035f2f5889b1.JPG

Ah!  The ones on the right are obviously the Buckle boots.  They received these in April or May of 1944---whereas the GI's landing at Normandy still wore the gaiters. 

693801860_ShoePack2.JPG.228d0e097bc6a535e224b42b3415e03c.JPG

614936889_ShoePack3.JPG.54658d79c2d10a4a2d14cd8ce8d6f18a.JPG

Now to answer the original question---I remember my Dad always owned a pair of Shoepac boots.  I didn't know why back then but now I realize he liked the GI issue so he continued to shop for ones like them.  But I wouldn't know what is out there in the market.  

On 12/29/2021 at 8:47 PM, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Is there a brand of civilian boots that resemble Korean war Shoe pacs?

Any info helps.

Look into the history of the LL Bean boots........ 

ive a pair of boots that look very similar, all stamping is worn, so hard to tell, theyre all reg eyelets though you could replace them, mine are olive green, but im sure you could get them in brown

• 3 weeks later...

Question, what came first a Civilian Boot like this copied by the Army, or a Army designed and developed one copied for the Civilian market post war?

35 minutes ago, patches said:

Question, what came first a Civilian Boot like this copied by the Army, or a Army designed and developed one copied for the Civilian market post war?

Pulled directly from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.L.Bean

"L.L.Bean was founded in 1912 by its namesake, hunter and fisherman Leon Leonwood Bean, in Freeport, Maine. The company began as a one-room operation selling a single product, the Maine Hunting Shoe, also known as duck boots and later as Bean Boots. Bean had developed a waterproof boot, which is a combination of lightweight leather uppers and rubber bottoms, that he sold to hunters. He obtained a list of nonresident Maine hunting license holders, prepared a descriptive mail order circular, set up a shop in his brother's basement in Freeport and started a nationwide mail-order business. By 1912, he was selling the Bean Boot through a four-page mail-order catalog, and the boot remains a staple of the company's outdoor image. Defects in the initial design led to 90 percent of the original production run being returned: Bean honored his money-back guarantee, corrected the design, and continued selling them."

Allan

Thanks for that Allan, interesting, what got me to ask is there is a figure in the WWII U.S.Army WWII Osprey Men at Arms Pacific Theater of a Kiska Task Force GI August 1943, he's is depicted wearing "Shoe Packs", figure description for the plate says civilian acquired boots, something to that effect, so indicating they were first of the civilian market.