Anyone has attended Airborne school at Ft. Benning

CNY Militaria

HOOAH!

Now drop and give me twenty - and one more for the big Ranger in the sky! (Do they still say that?)

Congratulations, Schottzie!!

Steve

CNY Militaria

We did 20 after graduation to "celebrate". I enjoyed the announcement noting that bloodwings were forbidden by the DOD...I guess the blackhats didn't listen. Never heard the Ranger in the sky saying, just every variation of airborne about a million times.

Congrats on your wings and welcome to the Airborne fraternity! You can now refer to all non airborne as "Nasty Legs" and other vile terms! :)

Make sure you don't give those blood wings away cheap, either.

Just got back today after spending 24 hours in the airports due to delays. I got my wings, I am out of the hot weather, and its back to business as usual!

AIRBORNE!

Justin

Explain this process: I thought you were in ROTC - is Airborne School open to anyone in ROTC or is there a selection process for that?

CNY Militaria

During the Summer months, a few hundred ROTC/USMA Cadets are able to go to Airborne and Air Assault Schools. We have to compete for them during the year using an OML system. Cadets used to be able to attand Ranger school, but too many came back injured which affected their scholarships and other training.

few hundred? you guys get more slots than us! :lol:

Blooding has been illegal since I believe 1994. But it still goes on. Pinnings and stripings and all that good stuff thumbsup.gif

Cadets used to be able to attand Ranger school, but too many came back injured which affected their scholarships and other training.

Yes, that's correct. If you could pass the screening test one could opt for Ranger School in place of "Advanced Camp" as they used to call it in the 80's. One of the cadets in our unit was able to go to Ranger school only to get hurt. Too many ended up this way for some reason. We had a few guys that were prior service and had completed Ranger school but from what I remember they still had to attend Advanced Camp.

Many of us were able to get a slot for Airborne school and Air Assault school. Couple of our guys even got to go to Northern Warfare school.

Bryan

I was an ROTC instructor and ROO (Recruiting Operations Officer) several years back in Iowa. The primary reason Airborne and Air Assault School slots are given to Army ROTC Detachments is that it's a strong incentive to attract and keep cadets in the program. I recall having many more Air Assault slots than Airborne slots. The major attraction of Air Assault school was that it was in Hawaii and much shorter than Abn School. I even had one cadet take his girlfriend along and they spent a week in Hawaii on vacation after he graduated.

Kevin