4 patches, how did I do?

Flashlarue

Here are 4 patches I pulled out of a box of $5 junk patches. I hope these are good WW2 patches. I'm far from an expert but at the price I didn't think I was going to get hurt.

20201118_154348.jpg

20201118_154313.jpg

20201118_154248.jpg

20201118_154208.jpg

That is a good start. Do your research and look at forum, join ASMIC and I recommend collecting the uncommon and thus more expensive if you can afford. The common patch will always be common but if you just want a basic collection that is fine and relatively inexpensive. When you have been doing it like me for over 60 years and alittle nuts that just does not do it any longer and you hunt for the hardest to find and  of course most costly. Nice idea is to pick a branch, or a particular unit, a period or war, etc.

2 hours ago, mortaydc60 said:

That is a good start. Do your research and look at forum, join ASMIC and I recommend collecting the uncommon and thus more expensive if you can afford. The common patch will always be common but if you just want a basic collection that is fine and relatively inexpensive. When you have been doing it like me for over 60 years and alittle nuts that just does not do it any longer and you hunt for the hardest to find and  of course most costly. Nice idea is to pick a branch, or a particular unit, a period or war, etc.

Good advice all around. I learned a long time ago when I used to collect coins that the more common grades, while they were so cheap to get, were hard to liquidate when I wanted to move along to better pieces. They are great learning tools, but not much more. In addition to the forum and ASMIC,  I would also recommend purchasing a few books and learning about construction methods such as Hans De Bree's book  and definitely if you wade into deeper, more expensive waters, any of the Keller books. ESPECIALLY if you want ot get into airborne patches. I'd also pick up a copy of Jeff Millstein's book on Marine Aviation Insignia too.  

4 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

The Airborne patch looks like a cut edge.

It is cut edge but much later issue. As mentioned 60s period, right before they switched to merrowed edge