"Hollywood" shoulder patches?

willysmb44

I thought I would bump this topic with a fictional unit from a great 80's movie I just watched again this weekend on Netflix - "Tank" starring James Garner as CSM Zack Carey of the 114th Infantry Division (Mechanized). The patch looks a lot like many of the new infantry brigade SSI's being created by the Institute of Heraldry.

post-1761-0-71722600-1362406509.jpg

post-1761-0-14574300-1362406517.jpg

post-1761-0-17710900-1362406528.jpg

post-1761-0-34657200-1362406537.jpg

...Found this one basicaly by Accident...I can't really tell for which movie this is...

Try Sleeping Car to Trieste (1948). According to one reviewer, Bonar Colleano, as Sgt. West, got more screen time in this movie than his character warranted: "An inordinate amount of footage is devoted to the wisecrackery of Bonar Colleano, cast as yet another stereotyped American." Too bad as well that Sgt. West's SSI is not shown here. Could we "TRUST" the wardrobe department to get this right?

post-1963-0-09074400-1362417358.png

Try Sleeping Car to Trieste (1948). According to one reviewer, Bonar Colleano, as Sgt. West, got more screen time in this movie than his character warranted: "An inordinate amount of footage is devoted to the wisecrackery of Bonar Colleano, cast as yet another stereotyped American." Too bad as well that Sgt. West's SSI is not shown here. Could we "TRUST" the wardrobe department to get this right?

post-1963-0-09074400-1362417358.png

I believe this picture has already been posting in this topic but here is the same guy I'm assuming from the same movie. I don't know if he's wearing the same SSI as the guy on the right, but if so, I don't know what it is.

post-1761-0-11448800-1362422598.jpg

Thank's Wailuna, I had no idea from what movie that still was from, Yes Sean it is the same guy from the same movie just a differant scene, Bonar Colleano.

Here's Colleano in the Stairway To Heaven, a 1946 classic, with David Niven, et al, it is also know by it's British title A Matter Of Life And Death. Colleano as mentioned played a KIA AC Bomber Pilot who both in this life and the next made with the jokes, a fun good natured guy who liked the girls.

A OKAY

post-34986-0-49611400-1362425427.jpg

Chatting up a Bird, the Bird is of course an Angel.

post-34986-0-22008300-1362425480.jpg

SGT Biko's division insignia looked reasonable to me. That said, the film always drove me nuts because hardly anyone is wearing ordnance insignia and clearly that's the branch most of them would be in. Like someone at Aberdeen proving Ground once said when this movie came up, "If they're going to mock our branch, the least they can do it show the correct branch insignia while doing it!" The funny part is, I never met anyone in the ORD branch that disliked this movie, myself included!

As for the "Tank" reference, I too recently watched it on Netflix for the first time in many years. It's actually a better representation of Army life in that timeframe that I realized at the time (I saw it as a kid in the theater). As for the insginia, I didn't even realize it wasn't one of those Brigade ones designed around that time as it looked so plausible...

firefighter

SGT Biko's division insignia looked reasonable to me. That said, the film always drove me nuts because hardly anyone is wearing ordnance insignia and clearly that's the branch most of them would be in. Like someone at Aberdeen proving Ground once said when this movie came up, "If they're going to mock our branch, the least they can do it show the correct branch insignia while doing it!" The funny part is, I never met anyone in the ORD branch that disliked this movie, myself included!

As for the "Tank" reference, I too recently watched it on Netflix for the first time in many years. It's actually a better representation of Army life in that timeframe that I realized at the time (I saw it as a kid in the theater). As for the insginia, I didn't even realize it wasn't one of those Brigade ones designed around that time as it looked so plausible...

It was kind of a funny movie.Then again I like Steve Martin, Phil Hartman & Dan Aykroyd.

ASMIC did a nice write up awhile back in the Trading Post.Interesting article.

Here's that modified 28th Infantry Division in colour.

I used to work at the Military Shop of Hawaii. My old boss, Doug Boyer, got some great stuff from that MGM auction!

What Elvis movie was this used in?

Jon.

I picked up a couple of those at the Military Shop years ago. The problem was before the internet you couldn't convince anyone they were an Elvis movie prop! People just assumed someone had messed around with some 28th ID patches (which is what they were).

I finally was able to sell off some of them a couple of years ago...I thought I was taking them to the grave with me!

post-34986-0-62932200-1362456174.jpg

Nice grouping from Tank Sean, I would say since the movie was shot at Ft Benning and actual post in the movie was supposedly or loosely based on or as Ft Benning, I imagine the movie guys based this phonyed up patch on Ft Benning's real unit the 197th Infantry Brigade (Sep)

The Old Dollar.97

post-34986-0-44500200-1362456064.jpg

post-1761-0-17710900-1362406528.jpg

Nice grouping from Tank Sean, I would say since the movie was shot at Ft Benning and actual post in the movie was supposedly or loosely based on or as Ft Benning, I imagine the movie guys based this phonyed up patch on Ft Benning's real unit the 197th Infantry Brigade (Sep)

The Old Dollar.97

dollar 1.97.jpg

The symbolism of the movie patch suggests a unit that could not move in a straight line from point A to point B. It's just as well it was not adopted in real life!

CHASEUSA11B

"The filmmakers want to thank the U.S. Army for it's total lack of co-operation in making this movie"

Quoted at the end of Sgt Bilko

• 6 months later...

1980's "Private Benjamin" starring Goldie Hawn, Eileen Brennen and Hal Williams was mostly played straight in terms of uniforms and insignia. However, the film also included Robert Webber as Col. Thornbush, commander of the the Thornbirds, a fictitious parachute unit with its own fictitious uniforms, shoulder sleeve insignia and beret flash.

post-1761-0-93427100-1378386006.jpg

post-1761-0-61816600-1378386014.jpg

post-1761-0-88487600-1378386312.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is a screen shot from the scene in "Superman: The Movie" where Lex Luthor stages a car accident on the highway to halt an Army convoy and allow Otis to re-program the ballistic missiles. I guess this is a fictional patch the soldier is wearing. It sort of looks like one of the numerous Logistical Commands from the 50's and 60's but if it's real I haven't been able to identify it.

post-1761-0-23040600-1381339338.jpg

Here is a screen shot from the scene in "Superman: The Movie" where Lex Luthor stages a car accident on the highway to halt an Army convoy and allow Otis to re-program the ballistic missiles. I guess this is a fictional patch the soldier is wearing. It sort of looks like one of the numerous Logistical Commands from the 50's and 60's but if it's real I haven't been able to identify it.

That is actually the 122nd ARCOM.

post-3043-0-35939000-1381342145.jpg

That is actually the 122nd ARCOM.

Thanks Teamski. I skimmed through one of my patch guides looking for anything resembling it and I guess I perused right over the ARCOM's. I think in the photo I posted it's sideways, isn't it?

• 5 months later...
vintageproductions

Here are two from the soon to be released Sabotage movie. All the stars are in a elite DEA / SOT unit. But in their team house are tons of cool captured foreign military items, as each agent was supposed to be a high speed operator.

dea.jpg

What about the 18th Infantry Division patch in the FOX series, "Enlisted"? Weak design.

I have tried at length to try to post a link to that design I have, but for some reason, the cut-and-paste will NOT work on this site alone recently, so I can't post it. But Google it, it's not tough to find...

What about the 18th Infantry Division patch in the FOX series, "Enlisted"? Weak design.

I have tried at length to try to post a link to that design I have, but for some reason, the cut-and-paste will NOT work on this site alone recently, so I can't post it. But Google it, it's not tough to find...

Would this be the patch Willy? What is that critter we're seeing, a Beaver :lol:

post-34986-0-50586500-1396211514.jpg

Salvage Sailor

From the film Gravity

This is off of the Soyuz suit - International Space Station

Clooney is also wearing a patch on his suit is someone wants to grab a screenshot

IMG_0270.JPG

• 1 month later...
seanmc1114

The two "M*A*S*H" colonel together. McLean Stevenson as a scientist and Harry Morgan as Gen. Stilton in Disney's "The Cat From Outer Space". Harry Morgan, along with all of the other soldiers portrayed in the movie, wore mirrored sets of these patches on both their dress uniforms as well as their olive green utility uniforms.

post-1761-0-71894300-1401292895.jpg

post-1761-0-79919900-1401292903.jpg