Post your Officers Numbered Insignia

37thguy

This is an interesting topic, and I'm glad to finally be able to kick in something to the forum besides a random opinion or two. Here are mine...there are some others on uniforms, but these are the easily accessible ones.

15th FA on the left are both Meyer hallmarked, clutchback.

15th FA in the middle is screwback, unmarked. Curved in silouhette and look like they were manufactured that way. I'm guessing mid 30s?

15th FA in upper right is pinback, with a C shaped clasp (open on the space of the C). Is that WW1, French made?

E/3d FA is pinback, clasp was broken when I bought it

post-3938-1227468589.jpg

Some higher # infantrys. The 501st came out of the estate of LTG Julian Ewell - it has theater-made numbers attached to it. The 504th came out of the estate of Colonel Julian Cook.

Kurt

post-322-1227479692.jpg

Some higher # infantrys. The 501st came out of the estate of LTG Julian Ewell - it has theater-made numbers attached to it. The 504th came out of the estate of Colonel Julian Cook.

Kurt

post-322-1227479692.jpg

Kurt,

Very interesting. I refrained from posting this earlier but my 501st X-rifle (the one that I posted) actually came from J. Ewell as well. I met with him several years ago as we have a few things in common. This was a gift along with a few pictures of him from various stages of his career. Interesting to see the post war variant.

Thanks for sharing,

Jake Powers

Nice thread. Here are some of my numbered BOS. The three below were photographed in a display case so the pictures aren't the greatest but you can get the idea. There are from the short-lived stand-up collar, brass buttoned uniform (I don't remember the "M" designator, perhaps M-1919?).

All are screw-back type; the 1st and 9th are from a matched pair. The I Company, 6th Regiment is a singleton.

post-1107-1228060574.jpg

post-1107-1228060594.jpg

post-1107-1228060581.jpg

Next are a pair of 2nd Division collar insignia. I'm only photographing one side but both are matched pairs attached to the collar of the uniforms. The 9th Regiment pair are screw-back and the M-G pair are pin-back. The other one isn't really a "numbered" BOS insignia, per se. but it sort of goes with the theme of this thread so I'm including it. The only physical attachment the M-G seat has with 2nd Division is that they are attached to a 9th Regiment, M-G Bn patched uniform.

post-1107-1228061079.jpg

post-1107-1228061087.jpg

Here's another from the 2nd Division. Again, the insignia are paired but I'm only photographing one side. This one is for the 23rd Regiment and the uniform is so-patched. Both the crossed rifles and the US pins (barely visible) are quite large and both are pin-backed.

post-1107-1228061629.jpg

Moving on....here's one side of an 8th Infantry regiment, 4th Infantry Division insignia; again one side of a matched pair attached to the uniform.

Forgot to add...these are clutch-back.

post-1107-1228061806.jpg

Here's one side of a marched pair of 87th Regiment insignia. They are attached to the blouse of a virtually pristine officer's uniform made at the post tailor shop at Fort Dodge IA. The 87th was part of the 19th Division which trained in Iowa bur never made it overseas. Most of the men assigned to the 87th only served 4-6 mos in training before being mustered out. The insignia are a dark bronze color rather than the usual black painted and they match the US insignia on the collars exactly.

post-1107-1228062107.jpg

This one is from a Korean War vintage Lt's uniform, again one side of a matched pair of clutch-back insignia. The owner of this one had served in the 77th ID in WW-II and it has a 77th Div combat patch on the right sleeve.

post-1107-1228062331.jpg

This one is one side of a 184th Regiment of the 40th Division. It is attached to an early 1930s-dated officer's uniform and this pair are screw-back mounted.

post-1107-1228062498.jpg

I've posted a picture of this pair about a year ago in the uniform section when I was showcasing the entire uniform. This is one of a pair of 502nd PIR insignia.

post-1107-1228062626.jpg

This one depicts one side of a pair of A Company, 26th Infantry Regiment of the 1st Infantry Division, attached to a Captain's uniform. the uniform is dated 1938 so is from shortly before the war. I don't know if the actual insignia date from that period or not.

post-1107-1228062774.jpg

Next are a couple of loose sets (the 120th IR one is a singleton. All are screw-back and the 120th one has a rather unusual flower petal-shaped set of spinners.

post-1107-1228062954.jpg

post-1107-1228062976.jpg

Lastly for now, a pair of WW-I shirt-sized pin-back 7th Regiment Machine-gun Bn insignia. I don't think they were originally attached to the Luxenberg card and it was just used over the years to keep them together.

post-1107-1228063222.jpg