The loop inside of the musette bag

I think bheskett has nailed it spot on. It makes perfect sense - a place to put the strap when it wasn't needed. It wouldn't surprise me if they left the factory like that packed in boxes.

Steve

That, makes the most sense thus far.

It does make sense, and could be the answer; however, finding one strap in one musette bag is not conclusive. I have found all my musette bag straps stored in the side pocket

I agree one example does not solve the mystery, just another fly in th ointment. I think the only way we are going to find out for sure is to find a manual or QM drawing that has it labelled as "strap for such and such"

I agree one example does not solve the mystery, just another fly in th ointment. I think the only way we are going to find out for sure is to find a manual or QM drawing that has it labelled as "strap for such and such"

That's what I started thinking fairly soon after this thread began...

i was going to say the same--- side pocket was best suited for the strap and it was mentioned once before.

Yes, the side pocket is suited for the strap, and a plethora of other equipment. That's just like saying the bag itself will take the strap, so, therefore, discount other thoughts. The "loop": though is different, as it, apart from some suggestions here, like tent poles, doesn't seem to have any real value except for the strap. Sure, you can shove a beer can or whatever in there, but there is no logic to that. The strap, an integral part of the bag, fits perfectly

Not to ignore the suggestions of some other members who have said a QM book will settle this. I agree. So, in the meantime, absent that (and good luck, since this has not surfaced in the last 70 years), we need to think logically.

Steve

• 2 years later...
JadedHesher

Hi everyone !

I always thought the small loop inside was to hold a couple fountain pens. Back then they were really popular still, even though ball point pens were available. Ballpoint pens would leak. Both styles had clip models. A couple fountain pens are the right thickness and length to fit into the little horizontal loop. I use a musette bag daily and the little loop holds my ball point pens perfectly. 

A pen can get lost in a bag pretty easy I just wanna add. It's nice to have a couple pens handy right there as soon as I open it.

I also use my musette bag when I go shooting. I clip it to my LBE "Y" suspenders and it becomes apart of my web gear. When I need to grab something from it, I pull the bag over my head so it's hanging in front of me, and that way I can pull ammo out and transfer it to my butt pack or my dump pouch while I'm walking.

When the bag is in front of me, I can easily access my pen and pull out my notebook and write down stuff while walking.

that's what I use it for, and I just always assumed that's what it was for. I randomly stumbled onto this thread and it was really cool to read the replies here. I could also see that loop maybe being for something along the lines of hygiene. A razer perhaps ? Does anyone know any WWII vets ? I say we ask them !

Has anyone suggested fastening purposes? 

Imagine this hanging off the back of a truck, a tank or a jeep, you'd want this kind of loop to pull a rope through or something. 

Bluehawk

I think all that the QM book and schematic told us is that the thing is a "loop"

Very helpful :P

phantomfixer
On 5/10/2021 at 4:43 AM, ken88 said:

Has anyone suggested fastening purposes? 

Imagine this hanging off the back of a truck, a tank or a jeep, you'd want this kind of loop to pull a rope through or something. 

Way back I suggested it was for a bunk/rack / barrack bag...slip a pole/rope through attach to bunk or locker etc...for in the field, flap is open easy to grab gear etc flap can be closed if raining etc...one of the great mysteries...or is it?  LOL