"Old Guard" Vietnam Tricorn hat

mvmhm

The past few days have been the absolute darkest of my life. My divorce was finalized after one looong year, and then Wed. night the woman I had been making pretty big plans with announced she had grown tired of waiting and had started dating someone else that very day. Then yesterday, my youngest (16) daughter attempted to take her life. So, while God has apparently abandoned me (and no, no commentary please because that IS how I feel), the Collecting Gods smiled upon me this morning. I had to drive to Bowling Green to get my other daughter and bring her home and stopped at my favorite antique mall hoping I might get an hour's respite from having to think about "stuff". I found this Tricorn for $80..it's the typical cowboy hat with minor modifications to sew the edges up, and with VN made patches. It's got a faint "58" size stamp inside, but unfortunately no name. There's some very minor rust on one of the snaps but otherwise in great shape - even the vinyl sweatband....

Mark sends

post-3423-0-10988600-1429908484.jpg

post-3423-0-06448300-1429908491.jpg

..detail of the side snaps, and the one added to the rear to fold up the back...the front part of the brim is sewn to the body.....

post-3423-0-21975300-1429908663.jpg

post-3423-0-03177900-1429908668.jpg

Very Nice Mark.First I have seen with the OLD GUARD tab.Fantastic piece.

hang in there,,...........when things seem darkest they will get better.

Rakkasan187

Great looking hat mark.. There is one pictured similar to that in Shelby Stanton's US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War.. The color guard are wearing them. I believe the unit is casing colors en route to Vietnam from Hawaii..

Hang in there my friend.. Prayers going out to you...

Leigh

GDMortarman

Redcatchers! Sorry to hear your hardships. Hang in there, He has not forgotten you. Scott

Unique item and in great shape.

Having said that, I think it is one of the weirdest things to come out of the Vietnam War. I can only imagine how the troops felt about wearing them.

Well, that hat was a nice find, but the hits just keep on comin'. Just got out of a 3-day hospital stay because of a severely infected gall bladder...I'm going back on Friday to have it removed. I can't recall when I've had this much fun.

Mark sends

• 1 month later...

What a price!!!! Awesome!

Very hard to find this 199th LIB piece. I takes to me ten years to found one!

post-9344-0-07105500-1433431633.jpg

439th Signal Battalion

The past few days have been the absolute darkest of my life. My divorce was finalized after one looong year, and then Wed. night the woman I had been making pretty big plans with announced she had grown tired of waiting and had started dating someone else that very day. Then yesterday, my youngest (16) daughter attempted to take her life. So, while God has apparently abandoned me (and no, no commentary please because that IS how I feel), the Collecting Gods smiled upon me this morning. I had to drive to Bowling Green to get my other daughter and bring her home and stopped at my favorite antique mall hoping I might get an hour's respite from having to think about "stuff". I found this Tricorn for $80..it's the typical cowboy hat with minor modifications to sew the edges up, and with VN made patches. It's got a faint "58" size stamp inside, but unfortunately no name. There's some very minor rust on one of the snaps but otherwise in great shape - even the vinyl sweatband....

Mark sends

A truly sensational find! Thank you for sharing and I do pray that circumstances improve for you quickly.

Hey, OP sorry to hear all about that.

Anyways nice find with the hat, it looks really unique and it stands out.

blitzkrieg gsd

Nice hat sometimes Bowlingreen is good for something lol. Listen my friend take this to heart that things will prove for you. You have to stay positive and not get to down on yourself. There is power in positive thinking just like negative thinking will bring you down I promise this is true. Find a way to put the stress behind you or it will kill you that's the truth it got my mom. Stress will kill you as dead as a bullet but it's slower and more painfully. Immerse yourself in the hobby for a while or find something else you enjoy to take your mind off your troubles. Only cure for these kinds of problems is time and remember the best way to get over one woman is to get with a new one. And take my word there are plenty of them out there just keep on looking and you will find you one.