Pill vial, check out the label

collector

Got this from a very popular dealer, since Atabrine is misspelled I assume the label at least is a fake.

If so, that's two fakes out of three buys from this guy.

Posted in another thread too. Think the vial may be real, but the top won't screw on so am not even sure of that.

Any comments from medical equipment collectors are welcome.

David

post-1414-0-33077300-1407169149.jpg

Rakkasan187

Nothing wrong with this med. It is not misspelled. Atrabine was used in the South Pacific to treat malaria. It was also known as quinacrine

Leigh

Should be Atabrine. I think the label is suspicious at best. PM me the dealers E bay call sign. What was the other item that was bad?

Rakkasan187

I stand corrected, The medical journal I referred to had it spelled incorrectly as well. I guess they didn't have spell check in the 1940's....

Thank you for correcting my error.

Leigh

This one has been bothering me since collector first posted the bottle. I have a atabrine bottle so I thought, yep, misspelled label. But as I looked into it, I found a similar reference to the one Leigh found. Like atabrine, atrabine is the trade name for Quinacrine HCL. I don't know why the differences in the spelling. They are both trade names. Maybe the use of atrabine was a trade infraction (such as it was owned by a German firm) and the US switched to atabrine. A deeper dive into the subject would be necessary.

Here are two 1944 references to atrabine. If you google "Atrabine" and go past the first page of results, you'll start to see more medical references to "atrabine."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19440507&id=SFIsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-soEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5405,475621

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/11813639

Rakkasan187

Beast,

Thank you for the confirmation and supporting documents. I was pretty sure I was correct with my initial assessment and since I was getting information from a journal that was about Wingate and the Chindits in Burma it was mentioned numerous times in the journal and referenced as Atrabine.

Leigh

Tablet is misspelled as well....they have "table"

Nice catch! To get to the authenticity of this particular bottle, I would recommend contacting forum member med-dept. His website (med-dept.com) does have examples of this bottle and he would be one of the best resources to reach out to.

The correct spelling is ATABRINE but the wrong spelling ATRABINE is common on the web: but I checked dozens and dozens of references and it does boil down to ATABRINE being the correct version, even for the brand name. I think a lot of the problem comes from documents that were scanned and converted to text files, which often generates some sloppy results.

This fake bottle was sold by a well-known dealer so it shows you should always double check before you click thr PAY PAL button. I'd say just the use of "table" instead of "tablet" is more than enough cause to ask for a full refund including return shipping.

Hello,

here is a pic of an atabrine vial I bought not long ago ... clearly marked "atabrine" and with the term "tablet" in the text.

E

post-17306-0-31061800-1407261005.jpg

Garandomatic

Here's two more signs. These were in the area of the 110th Aerial Recon Squadron of the 5th Air Force.

***Edit, I guess the second picture is insect repellent, it is a pretty small photo in real life on the same album page as the other one, so I always assumed it was for Atabrine as well. Oh well, it isn't bad to look at!

post-9670-0-87569500-1407262584.jpg

post-9670-0-16183700-1407262586.jpg

I have about 8 of these Vials all by different makers and all spell Atabrine.

Here are two full bottles of tablets from my collection - different labels but both marked Atabrine.

Rich

post-1878-0-94275900-1407267053.jpg

Guess whoever made the label saw the misspelled sources too.

I missed the word 'table', and I thought I was born to proofread!

That's strike two, and the lack of keylines around the label, seen in all other examples, is strike three.

Love all the pictures and thanks for the input.