Lightning Strikes Twice – 1st Model WW2 Kabar

Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig

Last week I picked up a 2nd pattern USMC canteen with an enamel canteen on eBay for a bargain. Today I could barely keep my hands from shaking long enough to hit “Buy it Now” button on my smart phone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Military-KA-BAR-Fixed-Blade-Knife-USMC-Olean-NY-with-Sheath-/281285382284?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=dSzTe73Ub6qL5sNAzhfe%252B0Gxb%252BQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

post-12393-0-88460900-1394759920.jpg

post-12393-0-07390100-1394759932.jpg

post-12393-0-56579600-1394759940.jpg

I love it when you see a bargain on ebay with BIN. You keep asking yourself, should I do it? There must be something I'm missing. If its real someone else would have bought it... aw what the heck I'll do it, aw cr** I hope it is what it is...when it arrives...

thanks for sharing..

Lol ccyooper. Or there's when you go back and forth and decide to buy, ah crap someone bought it literally 2 seconds before you pushed buy now.

Catfishcraig

I honestly did not practice my due diligence with this one. I just hit BIN as fast as I could. It was afterward i got a little nervous and looked at the sellers rating, what kind of other stuff they sell, and the other usual protocols I take. I got lucky this guy is a good seller and sipped it That same day ?

Well, it's a very nice knife ... and it has a very special spacer next to the guard, very similar to wat you find on Robeson and PAL knives B)

You did great indeed !!

Catfishcraig

I received the knife on Saturday. It looks like the its the variation with the welded and ground pummel that Greg Robinson spoke of in his post. Pics as promised.

post-12393-0-67231300-1395114839.jpg

post-12393-0-35534800-1395114859.jpg

Catfishcraig

Can you make out a first initial? There were only a few Hoys in the Marines in WWII.

I've looked closely on both the handle and the sheath and there is no 1st initial. If you look closely at the sheath the are three lines and an arrow pointing down just below his name. I'm not sure what that means.

I poked around on ancestry and found a few Marines by that name but I cannot pin it to any of them.

Thanks

Craig

The skull and crossbones was used by Marine recon units: during the Korean War there were two Hoys in recon units that I have found so far (haven't found any yet from WWII): Walter and Chew.

Walter is from California, where the knife came from. ?

Catfishcraig

Thank you Bob for the research! It sounds probable that Walter Hoy is the Marine I'm looking for. How probable is it that the knife could have been used in both WWII and Korea? Did they reissue Kabar's?

Still-A-Marine

Thank you Bob for the research! It sounds probable that Walter Hoy is the Marine I'm looking for. How probable is it that the knife could have been used in both WWII and Korea? Did they reissue Kabar's?

All the Ka-Bars used in Korea were WWII leftovers.