M1902 US Air Corps EM Dress Blue Tunic and Cap - Help complete

rathbonemuseum.com

rathbonemuseum.com

Hello,

Today I am posting a one of a kind uniform. It is a model 1902 full dress blue tunic for enlisted with colored piping for the aviation branch of service. This was ultimately replaced by the 1936 and then 1938 pattern full dress uniforms and caps. But until then, this was the only model full dress uniform available. Note that the enlisted wore officer brass when wearing these full dress blue uniforms as shown in the picture of the cavalry sergeant.

As of now it is incomplete. It still needs:

- 1902 pattern aiguillettes in the air corps colors.

- Air corps colored sergeant stripes.

- A black leather enlisted garrison belt.

Also, I am not sure what difference there was between the 1902 pattern and 1936/38 pattern dress blue EM pants. Would love more info on that as well.

I figure this uniform is pretty rare as only a very few EMs in the Air Service/Air Corps would ever have had to wear them. As in the example of the cavalry gent, it would have been in a fairly high level official capacity like working for the Chief of Staff in Washington DC.

Please do contact me if you have more information or reference!

em_blues_30s.jpg

I have two questions slash observations-with my limited knowledge here. How do you know it is a model 1902 (since the air service/AAF did not come about until several years later)? This is for my own knowledge because that is one stunning dress uniform!!!!!! To me it looks more like a late 30's uniform. Just from the style and type of material, the cut and way it is put together. Just my two cents.

Mike

rathbonemuseum.com

Yes, it is true the Air service did not come into being until 1913 but the 1902 pattern EM full dress was the regulation pattern from 1902 until 1936. So even though it was really rare to see them worn between the wars, that was the regulation pattern. Refer to the picture I included. The cavalry sergeant is wearing a 1902 pattern EM full dress uniform in an image from 1931.

I saw pix of one of these some years back -- perhaps it was published in AAMUC FOOTLOCKER early on when I was the Editor. As I remember, the uniform was authorized as is described above, but the example I recall had been made for the opening AAF soldiers who helped on a Hollywood movie about the WW! Air Service in the '20's (perhaps it was 'Wings") -- I think they wore them at the premier.

Now, no one has commented on the dress blue overseas cap shown here! AAF EMs were authorized the o/s cap in the 20's and 30's because neither the visor nor campaign hat were practical in aircraft. This blue o/s cap with AAF piping is beyond outstanding!

G

Yes, I had no idea that a dress blue overseas cap would ever have existed, but as Gil says it makes sense because that was part of the Air Corps identity in those days. Amazing. Thanks for the pics!

Justin B.

Awesome Tod! I have one with chevrons (in Air Corps branch colors) and another that has only crests on the epaulettes and the collar brass. Both with standing collars. It's been speculated the one with crests on the epaulettes was worn by an Air cadet since the crests are Technical training command but maybe it was someone participating in the movie premiere?? I wonder, what kind of belt was worn with it? Black leather as you suggest, with an open face brass buckle as worn on the standard garrison belt of the era, or something more interesting? Thanks for sharing - wonderful!

A friend of mine has one of these uniforms which I believe is complete. I haven't seen it in a while, but I'll ask him if I can take pictures.

Cool uniform to be sure and rare too.

That is a work of art and simply stunning.

Mike

You got that right! That's just about the best looking uniform I've ever seen. Simply beautifull and that includes the overseas cap! Wish I had one in my collection.

The things you see on this forum.

Incredible jacket and hat.

The lines and piping color set it out as one handsome uniform.

All the best in completing your form.

Where do you find aiguillettes for such a rarity ?

I wonder, what kind of belt was worn with it? Black leather as you suggest, with an open face brass buckle as worn on the standard garrison belt of the era, or something more interesting?

Standard brown leather garrison belt.

Standard brown leather garrison belt.

I'm wondering as I do have a Dress Blue Visor cap with Air Crops branch piping and the bill is black, as is the case with officer's dress blue Visor caps of the era. I'm leaning towards a black belt due to the visor color as well as the color of the leather on the officer's dress blue brocade belts. I can't document this though. I would think the buckle would be something different too?

rathbonemuseum.com

That is cool John. That is the 1936 pattern EM visor hat. Replaced in 1938 with the large BOS color band vs. the piping. Lovely. Please post pics if you have them. And send all extras to me!

rathbonemuseum.com

Here are the tags for the tunic. It is named to E. G. Thornton and was tailored in Tampa, FL. Don't know what that means as far as the movie premiere story. Have not been able to find an E. G. Thornton on Ancestry or Web yet though records for enlisted between the wars are thin in publicly accessible online databases. Jack Pendola's was a very big men's clothier and would have served MacDill and later smaller air corps fields. If you know more, please contribute!

ThorntonTag.jpg