Armored Patches Worn On Chest

seanmc1114

I have in my collection a 10th Infantry Division Field Jacket with a plain Armored Triangle sewn on it. I know that there is a German made Armored Triangles with a number 62 in the triangle that was worn in the 10th Infantry Division when they were in Germany in the 1950's. The 62nd Tank Battalion. Also, every Infantry Battalion had a Tank Company assigned to that battalion which was organic to that unit. To me, that would explain the Armored Triangle with no number in the Apex.

IMG_0048.JPG

17 hours ago, m60a1d66 said:

I have in my collection a 10th Infantry Division Field Jacket with a plain Armored Triangle sewn on it. I know that there is a German made Armored Triangles with a number 62 in the triangle that was worn in the 10th Infantry Division when they were in Germany in the 1950's. The 62nd Tank Battalion. Also, every Infantry Battalion had a Tank Company assigned to that battalion which was organic to that unit. To me, that would explain the Armored Triangle with no number in the Apex.

IMG_0048.JPG

I think you mean every infantry regiment had a tank company attached to it. One battalion per division.

4 hours ago, tredhed2 said:

I think you mean every infantry regiment had a tank company attached to it. One battalion per division.

Yes, the correct answer is infantry regiment. When I was in 4th Battalion / 7th Infantry Regiment we would have a tank company attached to us from 4/66th Armor. When the field exercise was over they would go back to their parent unit. During the Gulf War it was some tank company from 1/35th Armor and when the war was over they went back to the 1st Armored Division. My question is during the 1950's the Infantry Regiment's tank company - did the tank company "attached or assigned" tanks come from the 62nd Tank Battalion? Or did that infantry regiment have there own tanks in their MTOE? I am referring to the 10th Infantry Division in Germany.

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

A Tanker (8).JPG

Late 40s late 50s Regimental Tank Companies were a organic component of the regiment, it was apart from the divisional tank battalion, the divisional tank battalion was a reinforcement on a need basis, as seen in the Korean War.

1 minute ago, patches said:

Late 40s late 50s Regimental Tank Companies were a organic component of the regiment, it was apart from the divisional tank battalion, the divisional tank battalion was a reinforcement on a need basis, as seen in the Korean War.

Thanks for the insight !

A mid to late 50s one for the 81st infantry Division, the 81st was active in the reserves as a combat division in the south then, Triangle on a M43 OD HBT, the use too of the WWII White on Black ranks, either Embroidered on Twill or the Rayon Woven type.

81st.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a shirt worn in the late 60s by a man of the 108th  Armored Cavalry Regiment of the Mississippi National Guard, he was a Mississippi boy in the Yankee Division, the 26th Division in WWII LOL, This unit, it's lineage is all over the road. it's one of those units you know what I mean LOL, it  also conflicts and is confused with other combat units titled 108, but it does have in it's lineage the old 750th Tank Battalion which used this unit crest first in the 50s, the unit receives a new unit crest in 1971. The organizational shoulder patch was worn was probably this one, which was approved on 21 August 1967, we can see slight ghosting of it on that side.

s-l500.jpg.6ac153ed16f7263cc05fba3a2c6622d8.jpg

A period  bulletin on the unit

https://ms.ng.mil/history/Documents/oxford/108_ACR-AAR.pdf

(Photos first posted by member Championhilz way back in 2009).

podd.jpgpos.jpg

pooo.jpgpooon.jpg

Members of Company F 34th Armor of the 2nd Infantry Brigade from a 1961 yearbook. The armored triangles don't appear to have any numbers on them.

2nd Infantry Brigade.1961 Yearbook.5.jpg

2nd Infantry Brigade.1961 Yearbook.6.jpg

2nd Infantry Brigade.1961 Yearbook.7.jpg

8 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Members of Company F 34th Armor of the 2nd Infantry Brigade from a 1961 yearbook. The armored triangles don't appear to have any numbers on them.

2nd Infantry Brigade.1961 Yearbook.5.jpg

2nd Infantry Brigade.1961 Yearbook.6.jpg

2nd Infantry Brigade.1961 Yearbook.7.jpg

Neither does the armor patch on the sign...but they do exist

ARMD RGT034.jpg

Here's a neat one; armored triangle with the "hell on wheels" tab and an unusual name tape. Most certainly from the Division's time in Germany in the 1950's. 

baker.jpg

• 1 month later...

A Tank Destroyer Patch on the Chest, 5th Army on the Shoulder, from one of the Tank Destroyer Battalions in Italy. GI unknown, and photo probably done in 1945.

download (1).png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Another 194th Tank Battalion on the chest , see post #193  in this topic for the other one. This was saved by me from a different topic that showed an example of a Glued on Patch, to show it was done on occasion by some men, I fogot though who originally posted it, so please forgive.

post-5665-0-62057800-1424304446.jpg

post-5665-0-74849000-1424304483.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Armored Patches NOT worn on the Chest, Two group photos, just didn't know where to post them LOL.

But it does give a good reference on which divisions didn't wear them on the chest, I think Sean did a summary earlier into this topic on which ones did and which one did not wear them on the chest.

So lets post then, The 49th Armored Division in the 60s.

1514644831_49tharmddiv.jpg.a47c465524fb55d1ac12e37f63154155.jpg

And the 40th Armored Division in the 60s

1965.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

40th Armd Div with GRIZZLY Tab, late 50s early 60s shirt. Notice the inconsistencies  here, posted one photo where it is NOT worn on the chest, then here it is worn

40th ad.jpg

40th add.jpg

A 628th Tank Battalion 28th Infantry Division shirt early 50s, shirt shows that this old pattern, the M41 continued to be worn here and there. 

(shirt originally posted by member Longbranch).

Longbranch.jpg

• 1 month later...

Probably for the 30th Armored Division of the Tennessee National Guard in the 50s into the 60s without the Volunteers Tab.

30th tank.PNG

30th ad.PNG

On 9/7/2021 at 10:16 AM, seanmc1114 said:

In his book Vietnam Order Of Battle, which was published in the 80's, Shelby L. Stanton showed both the 1st and 2nd Armored Division SSI as being worn in Vietnam by their respective detached units, the 1st and 2nd Squadrons of the 1st Cavalry. As noted above, those units were attached to the Americal (1st Squadron) and 4th Infantry Division (2nd Squadron). That never seemed realistic to me. However, over the years I have come across examples SSI for both divisions that are either the firsy issue subdued twill type made in the U.S. in the mid-1960's or theater made in Asia, suggesting they were made for wear in Vietnam. And I have found the attached photo showing a soldier wearing an example of that type of insignia for the 1st Armored Division on the left shoulder his jungles fatigues.

My thoughts about the picture you posted are that the soldier is probably wearing an OG-107 fatigue shirt he brought with him when the 2nd Squadron deployed from Fort Hood in 1967. As the 2nd Armored Division wore its SSI over the left breast pocket, he probably left it there and later added a 4th Infantry Division SSI once he arrived in Vietnam and the squadron was attached to the 4th ID.

9.JPG

10.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

1st Armored Division.Vietnam.jpg

Found anther one of those Subdued 1st Armd Div Twill patches

1st ad twill.PNG

• 5 weeks later...

A post 1953 by virtue of the Tapes, we guess the 718th Tank Battalion of the 104th Infantry Division, in 1959 the division is downgraded and thoroughly reorganized as a training division, thus loosing it's previous units for the most part.

1043.PNG

104.PNG

1045.PNG