Today's Great Medal Haul

History Man

History Man

I havent had much luck finding things in my collecting interest the past few months but today that all changed. I was contacted by a local man whos relative collected/hoarded for 70 + years and passed his accumulation onto the family. If anyone can help ID the recipient of the medals, it would be appreciated.

The medals are all numbered: Indian Wars, Spanish American War Medal, Philippine Insurrection.

Philip

post-25965-0-02657900-1365217421.jpg

post-25965-0-02580400-1365217425.jpg

RustyCanteen

Congratulations on a nice find!

Good luck in your research, this should be interesting.

Congrats Phillip. You have made up for any dry spell you have been suffering.Robert

Philip, Congratulations on a fantastic find! All three medals trace to George A. Hein. The medals were issued to him in 1909 while he was serving with the 1st Company of the Coast Artillery. It will take some additional research to figure out the units he was serving with when he earned the medals. From a quick check on Ancestry.com it looks like he first enlisted in 1889 so the Indian Wars Medal is almost certainly for the Pine Ridge campaign.

History Man

Thank you for the kind responses, I was awestruck when I saw these at the bottom of the box of insignia and its even better to see that this is a grouping!

Thanks to help from a couple forumers I was able to get the following info:

Belonged to Pvt. George A. Heim (n was a spelling error)

Born: 1864 in Minnesota

Died: 1936 and buried in Dayton National Cemetery

Enlisted: 1889 in Santa Cruz, CA

Served: 1889 - 1909

Philip

Thanks to help from a couple forumers I was able to get the following info:

Belonged to Pvt. George A. Heim (n was a spelling error)

Born: 1864 in Minnesota

Died: 1936 and buried in Dayton National Cemetery

Enlisted: 1889 in Santa Cruz, CA

Served: 1889 - 1909

When doing further research be sure to check both spellings, Heim and Hein. I found a number of entries on Ancestry for Hein that I think are for your man. The headstone application on Ancestry (with DoD as 1936) clearly has the name spelled Hein, as do the Army Registers of Enlistments.

History Man

Thank you for the comments, it displays really well and I do plan on keeping the medals the way I found them.

It looks like in 1913 he transferred to the 1st Coast Artillery Band and was last assigned to the 25th Recruiting Co.

Also he served with the 21st Infantry in the Spanish American War.

Philip

The Army Enlistment records have him listed as George A. Hein

He served with the 17th Infantry in his first enlistment being discharge at Ft. Russell WY in 1894

He served with the 21st Infantry in his 2nd ending in 1897, and transferred out of the 21st in 1900 . he was then with the 16th infantry through 1903

He mostly served as a Musician in the Coast Artillery after that through 1913 . He was a Musician for most of his military career .

Kurt

Great find Phillip.

Each one is nice on its own but to have a Indian War numbered medal identified to a vet and his other medals as well dont get much better than this.

Javelin4life

First the load of boxed WWII medals and now this? I gotta start looking around in your area for killer finds!!!

But seriously, awesome haul and congratulations on being able to identify all the medals to one veteran :)

Alex