HD&S Trench Knife

MasonK

First, I want to say normally I have no issue researching values on items. Unfortunately, this is a banned item on EBay, so no way to get current market values. In addition, while this style of trench knife is reguarly offered on dealer sites, I've never come across an HD&S manufactured version. I know the LF&C versions can sell in the $300-$600 range depending on condition.

I also understand that value is in the eye of the beholder and considering this is one of the rarer versions, know that values may vary.

With that said, I have no intention of selling this blade and would just like to know the value for curiosity's sake.

Some background; A friend of mine gave me this trench knife as part of a grouping that belonged to his grandfather who served during WWI. His grandfather, at one time, also worked at the Henry Disston plant. It's been in my collection for about 5 years now.

So, "what's it worth"?! Thanks in advance, by the way, to anyone who contributes to this thread!

post-29885-0-86401900-1363012625.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

Ar SOS they were priced from 450 to 850 at the beginning of the show and most were still on the dealers tables at the end of the show all were in the same condition as pictured. You may want to check GUNS.COM but based on what I have seen most are overpriced. Just what I have seen.

John

Ar SOS they were priced from 450 to 850 at the beginning of the show and most were still on the dealers tables at the end of the show all were in the same condition as pictured. You may want to check GUNS.COM but based on what I have seen most are overpriced. Just what I have seen.

John

Thanks, John. Just to be clear, the ones priced at the SOS were manufactured by Henry Disston & Sons?

Lovely Rare 1917 trench knife. If I owned it I would place a value on it of 1500.00 to 2000.00

Ron Norman

BigJohn#3RD

John

A dah on my part did not take a close look at the fact you mentioned HD&S and I did not take a close look at them. They could have been AC & Co, with the same style duster's but I wasn't buying just looking at the prices, none I saw were as nice as the one you pictured. If someone believes the market price is 1.5 to 2K go for it, you can always go lower but not higher. But as I said I did not see them going off the tables at SOS.

Regards,

John

I was looking at the show as well. I think the most I saw one priced was $1,100 and it looked unissued, but again I didn't pay attention to the manufacture nor did I see anyone carrying one out. A nice piece indeed, just have to find the right collector for it. Unless you need the money, I would just keep it. It will probably never depreciate lower than it is worth now as long as you keep it protected.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen! Just to clarify, I own this piece and would never consider selling it as it was given to me by a good friend. I was just curious as to what the value may be.

Although, I mentioned the value to my wife and now she's looking at it a little differently....may have to hide it from her before it suddenly dissapears!

I checked on gunbroker before, but never came across one for sale; guess I should have looked again before posting here. Appears, however, that the one listed is missing it's scabbard. That aside, I find, for the most part, the prices of militaria listed on Gunbroker to be on the border of ridiculous and outlandish, so I rarely use it as a basis to value an item.

If it sells for that price, though, I'll certainly change my tune!

Too Much WW1 Militaria

A decent HD&S in (which this is) can go for $1000-$1500 depending on the market. If you collect trench knifes, and want to get all the makers, the extra diamond variety, etc, this can be one of the harder knifes to find. Most I've seen have been in good condition. This can be a hard knife to find though.

John

A decent HD&S in (which this is) can go for $1000-$1500 depending on the market. If you collect trench knifes, and want to get all the makers, the extra diamond variety, etc, this can be one of the harder knifes to find. Most I've seen have been in good condition. This can be a hard knife to find though.

John

Thanks for your assessment, John!