Midway Silver Star

gdk

Hi everyone,

It's been ages since I've had time to post here - graduated, new job, moved cities, etc. - but I'm pleased to finally have time to post about a Silver Star I dug up in the last year. This medal led me on a long chase to get the story behind the name engraved on the back (Charles R. Crowell), and I'd like to share it with all of you. (I'm going to do it in several posts so please be patient.)

Before I begin, I'd also like to note that this wouldn't have ever even got off the ground without the crucial assistance of some well known members of the forum, Tom Nier and Kurt Stauffer. I am also indebted to Col. J.A. (Bill) Saavedra, USAF AFHSO, Dave Sleeper, and Doug Sterner for research help.

The story begins with an auction in Freeport IL, where I picked up a cased, slot-brooch Silver Star with an Air Corps bracelet for not too much money. The Silver Star is hand-engraved "Charles R. Crowell", and the bracelet is also hand engraved "C.R. Crowell", in script.

post-451-1344224860.jpg

post-451-1344224874.jpg

- Gdk.

As usual, my first port of call is wwiimemorial.com, which, sure, enough, proves a good starting point for information on Lt. Crowell, and confirms the Silver Star and hometown of Freeport IL:

http://wwiimemorial.com/registry/mia/searc...=7&tcount=7

http://wwiimemorial.com/registry/wardept/p...=4&tcount=7

http://wwiimemorial.com/registry/search/pf...=2&tcount=7

The listing by Mrs. Donald H. Crowell was immediately intriguing, as it suggested an early Silver Star award, possibly for Midway. At the same time, the two entries list conflicting information as to his loss (her entry that he was missing on June 2nd 1942, and declared dead December 6th 1942; the ABMC indicating that he died January 7th 1946 (??), and NARA indicating an FOD).

At the same time, this makes me nervous: the Silver Star is a late-war slot brooch example, not one issued circa 1942. So I fire off a message to Kurt, who is able to confirm that the Silver Star engraving is fine (if not common), especially in conjunction with the bracelet, but is definitely a later issue. This could fit with a later-war FOD. I also ask Tom, who messages me back very politely to tell me that Crowell is listed in Mingos (pg. 22) as having been awarded his Silver Star for Pearl Harbor.

Now I've owned a copy of Mingos for upwards of five years now, but had never before actually owned a gallantry award made to the AC prior to 1943, so it did not occur to me at all to look there. Silly me!

Given this information, my first priority was to establish whether the Silver Star was for Pearl Harbor, Midway, or something else entirely; then, to obtain the details of the mission on which Lt. Crowell was lost.

The first clue showed that Lt. Crowell was at Hickam Field a few months after Pearl Harbor:

http://www.questmasters.us/64th_Bomb_Squad..._R_Crowell.html

... but I was also able to confirm via Footnote that he was involved in a mission during Midway:

post-451-1344226525.jpg

The back of this photo is annotated "Lt. Jack Whidden (left) of Van Nuys, California, and Lt. Charles Crowell were pilot and co-pilot, respectively, who sank a Japanese destroyer at Midway".

Then from the following forum:

http://forum.armyairforces.com/5th-BG-m56465.aspx

B17E 41-2428 "Ole" 'Shasta' 23BS 5Bg Hawaii

4 Jun 42 - Damaged by Flack at Midway - Ret to Hawaii (Lt. Whidden)

Midway Experience:

P - 1st Lt. Jack D. Whidden

CP - 2Lt Charles R. Crowell

Takeoff: 12:30

Date 6/4/42

Bombs dropped: 4

Remarks: Target given and attack made enroute Midway. Flew No 2 in second element, Captain Whitaker leading. Dropped 4 bombs at 3700 feet. 1 hit on destroyer. 1 "O" fighter shot down in flames.

Damage in left wing by exploding shell. No 1 engine missing badly. Ship not in combat condition, returned to Oahu next day.

Finally, the Hall of Valor provides a GO: Headquarters, VII Bomber Command, General Orders No. 62 (1942). So my task became to get a copy of that GO.

Unfortunately, NARA, the NA, and the AFHSO all do not have a copy of that GO. However, the since Crowell is listed in Gleim's list of Silver Star winners (thanks to Doug Sterner for this information), a copy must have existed when he compiled his list. Fortunately, Col. Saavedra at the AFHSO sent me two important pieces of information.

First, he sent me copies of an AF reel (#25239) that contains a bio of Lt. Crowell and an interview with him and Lt. Whidden:

SECOND LIEUT. CHARLES ROBERT CROWELL

Second Lieut. Charles Robert Crowell, Air Reserve, was born in Carbondale, Ill., on December 24th, 1919. He attended Grinnell College from September 1938 to June, 1940. His prior schooling was in Freeport, Ill., he having graduated from grammar school in 1932, from Junior High School in 1934 and from Senior High School in 1938.

Qualifying for appointment as an Aviation Cadet, Lieut. Crowell received his primary flying training at Parks Air College, East St. Louis, Ill., from September 11 to November 22, 1940; his basic flying training at Gunter Field, Montgomery, Ala., and his advanced flying training at Maxwell Field, Montogomery, Ala., from which he graduated on April 25, 1941, on which date he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Air Reserve, rated as "Pilot", and assigned to extended active duty.

Lieut. Crowell was transferred to the Hawaiian Department on May 17, 1941, and assigned to duty with the 23rd Bombardment Squadron.

--

Lieut. Crowell, as co-pilot of a "Flying Fortress", participated in the Battle of Midway in June 1942. According to a press dispatch from Hawaii, June 11, 1942, this bombed was hit by an explosive anti-aircraft shell, but despite this the crew pressed home their attack, hit and probably sank a Japanese destroyer.

--

Nearest of kin: Mr. and Mrs. Charles Heber Crowell (parents), 843 West Lincoln Street, Freeport Ill.

The interview is as follows:

Shell Hit Flying Fortress

An explosive anti-aircraft shell hit a Flying Fortress piloted by Lt. Hack D. Whidden, 25, of Van Nuys, Calif., and Lt. Chuck R. Crowell, 22, Freeport, Ill., but they pressed home their attack, hit and probably sank a Japanese destroyer in the Battle of Midway.

Jack and Chuck told about it in these words:

"We saw our first action in the war the morning of June 4, when with our squadron we attacked the Japanese battle fleet 150 miles off Midway.

"We saw among other ships two heavy cruisers, and three carriers, one of them very large, with many destroyers weaving about. Actually we have to confess that the sight of the ships was a complete surprise to us."

Jack: "We were flying along following our squadron leader through the clouds. He ordered our plane to prepare to drop bombs. I thought that we were about to land or leastwise getting somewhere near bases and that the bombs were to be released to lighten the load so we could make it home okay. Our gasoline wasn't any too high at that point. Anyway we got ready to let the bombs go and just then we burst through the clouds and there were some 20 or 25 ships beneath us and all of them blazing away at us."

Too Mad To Be Scared

Chuck: "That ack-ack was plenty thick. In fact, very, very thick. We were down real low for planes of our type - Fortresses. I felt pretty scared."

Jack: "So did I feel scared for a few minutes. We saw the first burst of anti-aircraft shot off to the right and I threw up my right arm instinctively to cover my face as if boxing. Then I got mad. So did Chuck. And from then on we were too mad to be scared."

Chuck: "That is, until we got back home and began thinking the whole thing over."

Jack: "Anyway, this stuff was getting pretty thick. We were flying right through it. Then an explosive shell hit our left wing. It cut the main spar and wrecked the flaps and damaged the ailerons. The cockpit suddenly filled up with smoke. It smelled like firecrackers. We thought for a while that we were on fire. [some duplication here omitted.] That shell knocked down our rear gunner, but he got up again and told me over the phone that he could see a lot of holes in our left wing."

Chuck: "I remember the sound of that shell. It went 'ker-poom' and waves of hot air came up our legs."

Jack: "There was a destroyer directly [illegible] It was our target and believe me we were its target. That destroyer was really putting out. It must have thrown up 500 AA shells in 30 seconds. The sky was black with exploding shells."

Destroyer Squarely Hit

Chuck: "We kept going in and the bombardier laid one right on the stern of that destroyer. We could see the explosion and it was smoking badly as we pulled away."

Jack: "Then two Zeros got after us. The tail gunner got the first one, which went down in flames. The side and rear gunners knocked the hell out of the second Zero. Then we were more or less alone in the air as far as the enemy were concerned and had time to look over our situation."

Chuck: "Our situation wasn't any too good. Our flaps were shot away. The left wing was a little wobbly. One motor wasn't functioning right. It was heading for a strange field on a small island."

Jack: "I believe it was pure luck that got us back plus, of course, smart navigation and swell leadership by our group commander, Capt. Earnest Manniers (?) of Hartford, Conn. Our flight never broke formation and we landed okay."

Jack and Chuck: "Those B17s will win the war."

Both also would like to get back into action against the Japs and "don't expect any heavier fire than they have already have experienced."

Col. Saavedra also pointed me to ww1collector.com, which includes a medal group which mentions having a copy of the GO I was looking for. Dave Sleeper was very kind in providing me with a scanned copy of Headquarters, VII Bomber Command, General Orders No. 62 (1942), which confirms that Crowell's Silver Star is for Midway. It is a long list of names, including every other member of the crew except Whidden, who I assume was given a DSC:

CITATIONS FOR GALLANTRY IN ACTION: By direction of the President ... [skipped the usual] ... the following named Officers and enlisted men are cited for gallantry in action as combat crew members of airplanes in the Battle of Midway, between the 3rd and 7th of June 1942, and are entitled to wear the Silver Star decoration:

CHARLES R. CROWELL, O-411698, Second Lieutenant, 23d Bombardment Squadron, 5th Bombardment Group (H), Army Air Forces, United States Army. Entered the military service from Illinois.

This entire GO appears to be for Midway, rather than Pearl Harbor. I have not yet had time to check the names in it against those in Mingos, but I suspect that many of those in Mingos are listed under Pearl Harbor in error (as in Crowell's case). Unfortunately the GO is too large to upload here, so if you want it drop me a PM with your email address and I will email you a copy.

Finally, as to the question of Lt. Crowell's fate: a bit of creative Googling (using his serial number rather than name) came up this website, which completes the story:

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-17/41-2645.html

(It has his named listed as "Charles N. Crowell", but the serial numbers match.) Lt. Crowell was the pilot of B-17E "Miss Carriage" Serial Number 41-2645, which failed to return from. a reconnaisance mission over Buna and Gasmata on December 1st 1942. Extensive searches failed to locate the aircraft or its crew, and they were declared dead on January 7th 1946.

Alright, that's all I have. I have done my best to uncover the story of Lt. Crowell, with the help of several great friends on this fine forum. I hope you find it interesting.

In memory of a brave airman.

- Gdk.

Very nice work on the research! I am glad you are able to tell his story. I love it when it all falls into place,

Kurt

As has been said, great Silver Star and even better research! :thumbsup:

There are a great core group of guys here that really help out. I try my best to do the same in the flight jacket/AAF area.

JD

• 2 weeks later...

I found out about this one after the auction had happened wondered where it went. Glad it went to a good home even though I have to admit I am jealous. Good job on the research.

congrats,

Brandyn

Whoever bought this if you someday decide to sell it please let me know or have something you would specifically take in trade please let me know and then I could see what I could do.

thanks,

Brandyn