Unknown Marine

tarbridge

A marine with a 2nd division patch on his shoulder?

Yes, the 5th and 6th Marines were in the AEF as part of the 2nd Division, I thought everyone knew that :w00t:

The WW1 Vic is a give a way and the VFW.

Wow, is that a Victoria Cross mini!!!???

Which one will be the VFW medal ?

LuftStalg1
Which one will be the VFW medal ?

There is a "Rifle" marksman type badge then the VFW membership type badge, then the WWI Victory medal with stars and bars. Below the Marksman badge is an unknown medal, I am guessing state or local. Then there is what looks like a miniature of the British Victoria Cross. I have not been able to figure out, based on the Brit VC whom he is yet. :think: And it looks like he has a Marine EGA on his hat but cant tell for certian.

SEABEEBRIAN
Yes, the 5th and 6th Marines were in the AEF as part of the 2nd Division, I thought everyone knew that :w00t:

I know marines were part of the AEF but was it in the marine regulations to wear army insignia?

vicjoy1945

That "Victoria Cross" mini looks more like a Span Am U.S. Navy West Indies Meritorious Service campaign medal to me. It would seem to fit with his other service medals and service stripes.

Looks like a Philippine Campaign ribbon on the bottom row too...

I know marines were part of the AEF but was it in the marine regulations to wear army insignia?

Only the Divisional Shoulder patch of the U.S. 2nd Division.

post-34986-1341862034.jpg

Only five Americans have received the Victoria Cross and it looks like none of them became US Marines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Victo..._by_nationality

These would be American born men serving in British service, 1 in Her Majesty's Royal Navy in the 1860s, 4 of them in Great War in His Majesty's Forces in the Canadian Army . Plus the one given postumously to the U.S. Unknown Soldier after the Great War. Is there a medal that resembles the Victoria Cross ?

The U.S. Navy West Indies Meritorious Service campaign medal and the Victoria Cross minuture. I dunno It certainly looks like the VC he's wearing, noye the lower Bands above the cross, both on the uniform and in the image of the VC Mini.

post-34986-1341862911.jpg

post-34986-1341862998.jpg

vicjoy1945
The U.S. Navy West Indies Meritorious Service campaign medal and the Victoria Cross minuture. I dunno It certainly looks like the VC he's wearing, noye the lower Bands above the cross, both on the uniform and in the image of the VC Mini.

Good point !!

LuftStalg1
That "Victoria Cross" mini looks more like a Span Am U.S. Navy West Indies Meritorious Service campaign medal to me. It would seem to fit with his other service medals and service stripes.

No way that is an MSM, I think it is obvious that it is a VC mini. I think this guy just added it on his own, it just dosn't fit.

Is it just me or is that a Marine emblem on his hat AND collar now that I look at it again!?

The shoulder coard looks like a French or Belgium CDG and he wears it on the outside of his arm, which on those cords with the extra loops means I WAS THERE and not just a member of the unit that was cited.

So the shoulder patch is wrong as well!?

Maybe this guy just made up his uniform, like some of the A-holes you see on the news these days?

Common Robert, give us a hint!!!!

LuftStalg1

PVT EJ.BULLIS ~ US Marine Corps (WWI) medal grouping.

Same CDG shoulder cord and shield style arm patch.

AND 5 bar Vic medal!

post-15093-1341866320.jpg

Post # 12 shows the SSIs that USMC subordinate units of the 2nd Div wore. In those days, the color of the background and its shape were specific to certain units of the Div. It was only postwar that one one version -- black shield -- was customary.

In the picture he is apparently wearing the black shield-shaped version. This would be -- in 1918 -- for the Div HEADQUARTERS. He is also wearing a summer khaki uniform. Ergo something tells me that the photo was taken on a postwar dress-up occasion, such as a parade or a veterans' (VFW?) meeting.

I do not know when the VFW was created, but it was after the American Legion.

Good point J, that could be a good possibilty, but were there Marines serving in Division on Staff or as Staff assistants ? While where looking, does anyone know what the star is above the overseas chevrons is ?

LuftStalg1
Good point J, that could be a good possibilty, but were there Marines serving in Division on Staff or as Staff assistants ? While where looking, does anyone know what the star is above the overseas chevrons is ?

The star indicates that he was one of the first 100,000 US troops to enter the AEF

Hi Robert!

I personally really like the campaign stars between each one of the clasps on his WW I Victory Medal, quite unique (at least to me).

An impressive photo, especially if it turns out to be a VC!

Best wishes,

Joe

The star indicates that he was one of the first 100,000 US troops to enter the AEF

Would that be, ARRIVED in France among the first 100,000 troops of the AEF ?