Norman D. Landing

bilko1

This diagram was on display. I'm guessing you have seen this before, but what the heck, maybe not?

Just don't tell the Chief of Ordnance I am posting this here. As it says in the lower left, I could get in trouble.

post-2687-0-24575200-1565813117_thumb.jpg

Mikie

Sorry, Ken, but the other jeep has it's top and windshield up. But it makes up for it by sitting on some Marston matting and is next to a C-47.

post-2687-0-16794200-1565813371.jpg

post-2687-0-99874500-1565813414.jpg

Hope these help you feel a little better Ken.

Mikie

I think I remember that from my last visit, but somehow missed it this trip. We also didn't see the Space exhibit this time either. Another thing we missed was the display case with USS Arizona artifacts. I think we were both a bit groggy from walking around out there in that heat. Guess I'll need to schedule another trip out there.

Mikie

General Apathy

Ken,

awesome story about how you were able to help him get this uniform. This is one of the things I love about this forum. Someone in Normandy helps someone in the U.S. get a uniform. Great story.

I hope you are getting stronger every day. ...Kat

Hi Kat, it is good to see that the jacket has passed on from an older collection to a younger collection and that he is sharing information and images of the jacket with people interested in the subject.

Thank you, yes I am recovering and getting stronger each day both physically and visually . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 16 2019.

General Apathy

Made me get these out... A CCC cabin constructed in Yosemite before WW2... Pictures taken Summer 2017

Hi Johan, thanks for adding the photographs of the CCC cabin, good to see that some of their work has lasted so long. I expect you enjoyed the visit while you were there.

General Apathy

This diagram was on display. I'm guessing you have seen this before, but what the heck, maybe not?

Just don't tell the Chief of Ordnance I am posting this here. As it says in the lower left, I could get in trouble.

attachicon.gifJeep Diagram s.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for the shots of the Jeeps you added, and here's the reverse side of the servicing sheet that you added, this side shows the Jeep trailer servicing requirements. This servicing sheet ( board ) is kept in a metal holder attached to the underside of the engine hood as seen in your first photo shown in your #15150 post.

.post-344-0-77033200-1565954124_thumb.jpeg

Ken,

Is there anything about a jeep that you do not own or know about? Your knowledge amazes me.

I was glad to see you post on another thread. Since we have not heard from you in a few days, I started worrying about you.

Kat

General Apathy

Ken,

Is there anything about a jeep that you do not own or know about? Your knowledge amazes me.

I was glad to see you post on another thread. Since we have not heard from you in a few days, I started worrying about you.

Kat

Hi Kat, thank you no call for concern, just been very busy with household and garden chores . . . . . . . .

I recently found this image of US troops riding in a captured German Kettenkrad in Carentan, I wanted to visit the spot and make a comparison shot but haven't had the time due to recent events, so in the following post I have cropped a previous photo taken in this same street showing a US Army Priest tank.

The store front seen at the rear of this Kettenkrad is the true location for an event shown in the Band of Brothers series. The store was where Major Winters entered when he was wounded in the leg. Its also the place where Private Albert Blithe suffered a case of hysterical blindness ( Episode three ) Blithe was one of the original Camp Toccoa cadre.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 20 2019.

.post-344-0-37573100-1566324909.jpeg

General Apathy

Then & Now, Carentan . . . . . . . . . . .

I recently found the image in the previous post of US troops riding in a captured German Kettenkrad in Carentan, I wanted to visit the spot and make a comparison shot but haven't had the time due to recent events, so in the following post I have cropped a previous photo taken in this same street showing a US Army Priest tank.

The store front seen at the rear of this Kettenkrad is the true location for an event shown in the Band of Brothers series. The store was where Major Winters entered when he was wounded in the leg. Its also the place where Private Albert Blithe suffered a case of hysterical blindness ( Episode three ) Blithe was one of the original Camp Toccoa cadre.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 20 2019.

.post-344-0-27114900-1566325083.jpeg

Ken,

Great then and now shots!!

In the picture from WWII, it looks like the windows around the door have some kind of cement in them. They look more open in the current picture. How did they board up the windows during the war?

Kat

Thanks for the Then and Now shots, Ken.

Just in case anyone is wondering: I'm in the middle of preparing some Then and Nows with the upcoming 75th liberation festivities and events that occured in my neck of the woods in mind. Hopefully I can complete my 'mission' in the upcoming weeks. My plan is to post them at the appropriate dates.

And now for something that has me baffled:

post-169612-0-91312400-1566401634_thumb.jpg

According to the French text these bicycle tires (made of synthetic rubber) were intended to leave a swastika impression in the sand as one pedalled along.

Rene

General Apathy

Ken,

Great then and now shots!!

In the picture from WWII, it looks like the windows around the door have some kind of cement in them. They look more open in the current picture. How did they board up the windows during the war?

Kat

Hi Kat, most of the old French houses have stone surrounds to the windows and wooden shutters that close over the windows, in the wartime shot the shutters have been closed across the windows thereby saving a lot of the damaged windows that occurred on other buildings.

I have shutters across my windows which I close at night thereby theres little need for curtains ( drapes ), also they insulate the glass against the cold and winds.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 21 2019.

General Apathy

Ken! And Then and Nows! What happiness is about!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, pleased you like the Then & Now shots, this is a Then shot, I cant add a Now shot as you will know through this thread my collection has been sold. This was a set up I made at the UK Beltring show several years ago, sadly I didn't take or cant find any shots of all the mannequins I set up at this time.

This is an early USMC para-marine ensemble, the container is made from compressed paper-pulp / fibre for lightness, theres a non crushable pad at the landing end, the wheels and folding axle are packed inside the lid seen at the bottom in this photo, there was a pointed cover which fitted at this end containing the chute for landing it.

I was amused to see one of these drop containers in a scene in ' The Longest Day ' it's when they blow up a track to prevent the train using it. I have seen no evidence that this type of container was ever used in Europe during WWII, I think the Americans used British metal containers to drop supplies to the French underground and partisans. If anyone has photographic evidence I would love to see it, thanks.

.post-344-0-90426800-1566414520_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, pleased you like the Then & Now shots, this is a Then shot, I cant add a Now shot as you will know through this thread my collection has been sold. This was a set up I made at the UK Beltring show several years ago, sadly I didn't take or cant find any shots of all the mannequins I set up at this time.

My only other shot taken at this show ( ?? ) ski troop mannequin and equipment.

.post-344-0-14732600-1566414697_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Would have loved to see your display. How many mannequins did you have set up there?

Hi Mikie, I added a reply to your ' hand-grenade' ( Pine Cone ) thread if you haven't seen it . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

I had about eight or ten mannequins this particular year at the show, after assembling and dressing all of them there was a lot of conversation with collectors and visitors and possibly distracted from photographing all of them.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 22 2019.

General Apathy

St. Lo yesterday . . . . . . . . . . .

yesterday Jane and myself joined friends for lunch in St. Lo, after parking and walking to the restaurant I spotted this new monument to the 75th anniversary of D-Day. It is about two to three times real life-size of the helmet and a tubular representation of a Carbine supporting it. I thought it rather appealing and captured it to add to this thread.

.post-344-0-60322400-1566462510_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Thanks for the Then and Now shots, Ken.

Just in case anyone is wondering: I'm in the middle of preparing some Then and Nows with the upcoming 75th liberation festivities and events that occured in my neck of the woods in mind. Hopefully I can complete my 'mission' in the upcoming weeks. My plan is to post them at the appropriate dates.

And now for something that has me baffled:

attachicon.giftire.jpg

According to the French text these bicycle tires (made of synthetic rubber) were intended to leave a swastika impression in the sand as one pedalled along.

Rene

Hi Rene, look forward to the posts you will be adding at the appropriate time, thanks in anticipation .

regarding the tyre ( tire ) with the swastikas this may well have been produced on the Indian sub-continent where it is an Indian symbol of good luck and well being. Take a look at this link showing swastikas in use on building in the Uk mainly prior to WWII and use by the Nazis party, most or some of which dates back to the days when India was part of the British Commonwealth

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-26369329

Below is a photograph of the WWI monument to the dead of Swansea, South Wales, the swastika was not in use by German armed forces at that time

.post-344-0-02243600-1566470870.jpg

Ken,

Very interesting info about the tires! As I said yesterday, your vast knowledge just amazes me! I love the little trivia that you add to this thread.

I also like the USMC mannequin you posted. People tend to forget that Marines also served in the European Theater.

Kat

General Apathy

Just appeared for sale . . . . . . Focke-Wolfe 190.

we often post about items found or recovered over here in Europe this evening an advert appeared on Milweb for a Focke-Wolfe 190 fighter aircraft recovered from a European lake . . . . . . . . . a shot of the tailplane bearing the remains of a large swastika.

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=38

.post-344-0-54194000-1566493729_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Kammo-man ( Owen ), as you like camouflage uniforms heres my daughter back in the day in the camo room on Band of Brothers . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 23 2019.

.post-344-0-04293100-1566513868_thumb.jpeg