2d MarDiv Purple Heart Uniform

American Heritage

American Heritage

Hi guys, just got this one in Pennsylvania and don't know anything about it other than it came as received with these 2 ribbon bars already on it! Any help will be appreciated in tracking down this Marine: Cpl E.J. Sarnacki.

post-10864-1330822865.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Edward J. Sarnacki, born in 1918 in Michigan. Got out of boot camp in Dec. 43, served with G-2-6th Regiment, wounded on Saipan and went on to Okinawa. Hope this helps.

Need a Fourragere now to complete your set. Nice group.

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Also, knew Japanese language and served as interpreter. Also went into occupation duty in Nagasaki with the rest of the Division and was fluent in Japanese, Polish and of course English.

Kurt

American Heritage
Edward J. Sarnacki, born in 1918 in Michigan. Got out of boot camp in Dec. 43, served with G-2-6th Regiment, wounded on Saipan and went on to Okinawa. Hope this helps.

Kurt Barickman

thanks Kurt. I appreciate the info and for taking the time to research it for me. I have ordered that 2nd mardiv history book as it looks like a good investment!

American Heritage
PM C.C.

Thanks again Robin. Thanks to you I now have the card and today have requested his file from NPRC via the US mail. I will post the results as soon as they arrive - hopefully they can locate his record there!

American Heritage

Kurt Barickman

Oh forgot....Kurt, I have placed what I think is a ww2 era fourragere on the uniform and it looks great. I had some spare modern ones around from when I was with 2/5, but they looked too new.

Thanks again.

Kurt Barickman

Glad I can help. I can usually help if these guys joined the 2nd MARDIV Association or contributed to those Turner Publishing books compilied via the association. Actually, the 2nd Association put together TWO of these books. Post a picture with the fourragere :thumbsup:

Kurt Barickman

American Heritage
Glad I can help. I can usually help if these guys joined the 2nd MARDIV Association or contributed to those Turner Publishing books compilied via the association. Actually, the 2nd Association put together TWO of these books. Post a picture with the fourragere :thumbsup:

Kurt Barickman

Here it is!!

American Heritage

Kurt Barickman

Here it is!!

post-10864-1331171177.jpg

• 2 months later...
American Heritage

UPDATE: Received the personnel file from NPRC and it confirms everything I have learned about this uniform in the meantime.

Here is the text of the 2nd MarDiv alumni book in his own words:

Edward J. Sarnacki: Born 1918 in Hamtramck MI, son of Stanley and Kate, Polish immigrants. Went to work for city of Detroit as bus driver in 1942.

Enlisted for 4 years, Sept. 1, 1943. After boot camp in San Diego had no leave and went to Camp Pendleton. Had about one month advance training and shipped out as 38th replacement battalion. Joined 2-G-6 Dec. 1943. Saw action and was wounded on Saipan two inches above my heart. Recuperated in Tulagi and Pearl Harbor. Rejoined 2-G-6 and went on to Okinawa.

After Okinawa went to Nagasaki for occupation duty for 6 months. Knew Japanese language and was interpreter on Saipan, Oki, and Japan. Had charge of destroying all Japanese military equipment.

Came back stateside, had 30 day leave and reported to Parris Island as a DI to finish my hitch. Was discharged Feb. 27, 1946.

Married my beloved wife Stella and raised 4 girls, all married now. Have 4 grandchildren. Palm Sunday 1987 celebrated 40 years married bliss. Retired from the city bus company 1974 and have not worked since. Just fishing and working around the house. i still read and speak Japanese and Polish.

American Heritage

Purple Heart awarded for wounds received in action against the enemy in the Marianas Area on 28 June 1944. The records confirm "WIA GSW Lt. Chest" (Gun Shot Wound Left Chest)

post-10864-1336613255.jpg