Type B-9 Parka

Keith

I have a parka with this notation on the tag: "Type B-9 Parka". In doing some research I looked at a couple of WW2, B-9 Parka's on this website and I see a difference in the cuffs. The ones pictured on this forum have the knit cuffs exposed, my B-9 has the knit cuffs up inside the sleeve out of view. I was told mine was from a Korea vet, is that why there is a difference; did the sleeve cuffs change between WW2 and Korea? Thanks.

Not sure about the cuffs but two ways I know to spot age is the lining and the hood. WWII were usually filled with goose down, had a "satin" lining and the hood was solid. Later ones were lined with the fake fur stuff whose name escapes me at this second and the hood had a zipper down the center.

Tom

Not sure about the cuffs but two ways I know to spot age is the lining and the hood. WWII were usually filled with goose down, had a "satin" lining and the hood was solid. Later ones were lined with the fake fur stuff whose name escapes me at this second and the hood had a zipper down the center.

Tom

Thanks SGT. No zipper on the hood, so I guess it is early. I'll have to research on those cuffs some more. Thanks.

Bob Hudson

There were commercial versions of these. If it has label then a look at that would give a pretty good idea of its origin.

There were commercial versions of these. If it has label then a look at that would give a pretty good idea of its origin.

I bet that is what it is as the label didn't "look" military to me. I have it packed at the moment. I'll check it out later. Thanks.

Be forewarned, however, some of the original WWII jackets had nothing more than a little tag label that said "B-9" and that was it. No maker's name, no contract number(s), nothing. Only time I have ever seen such.

If yours has a full tag, don't worry if it says "Eddie Bauer". Bauer made B-9's for the gov't and, in fact, are one of the preferred brands by collectors.

Tom

When you see "TYPE" on the label that usually indicates an item made for the commercial market and not true military issue.

Johan Willaert
When you see "TYPE" on the label that usually indicates an item made for the commercial market and not true military issue.

I would have to disagree with that when USAAF items are concerned...

I would have to disagree with that when USAAF items are concerned...

I agree with a little knowledge; I have a B-2 cap, WW2 and it says: "Type B-2" on the label. However, I am leaning toward a commercial version of the B-9 that I have. Regards.

vintageproductions

When it says Type B-2 it is military, when it says B-2 type it is civilian. I lean towards civilian on this jacket if the knits are exposed at the cuff. Remember these jackets and many other military types were made for many years after the war for the civilian market.

I lean towards civilian on this jacket if the knits are exposed at the cuff.

Thanks, this is what has me confused and maybe you mistyped what you meant. When I look on EBay and this forum I see B-9's with the knit cuff exposed. The coat I have has the knit cuffs up inside the sleeve and you can't see them without looking up the sleeve????

You are right about continued production after the War for civilians. The same estate also had the type parka with the wolf fur trim and when I looked at the label it said J.C. Penny! I didn't buy it....keith

• 1 year later...
Schmittyapolis

Hello All,

I am new here but I am interested in this thread because I have my father's B-9 Parka. He was in the Army from 47-53. The parka still has the QMD mark on it clearly dated as 1953.

I am a WW2 reenactor. I know there were two variants of this parka during the war, the first having a down lining and fur collar on the hood and the second having faux fur and a zipper splitting the hood. My question is while my father's jacket is clearly post WW2, is it possible that it is left over stock from WW2 production? Did the immediate post war B-9s differ from the second variant?

Mine has the internal elastic cuffs, faux fur and zipper hood but other than a different stitching pattern on the elastic waist band - looks identical to some B-9s that claim to be WW2 period correct I have seen on the internet. I can send pictures to anyone that can advise me. I would love to be able to wear this jacket during winter reenactor events but it has to be as authentic as possible to period correct B-9s.

Thanks for reading!

Schmittyapolis

Schmittyapolis

photo-5.JPGphoto-6.JPGphoto copy 2.JPG

photo copy 3.JPGphoto-4.jpgphoto-3.jpg

OK so here is:

1) close-up of the QMD tag

2) front of jacket

3) close-up of front pockets in relation to the buttons/zipper (the pockets seem to be much closer to the buttons on this jacket than what I have seen generally on other B-9s)

4) close-up of sleeve/cuff

5) faux fur hood with split zipper

6) close-up of elastic waist band stitching

Schmittyapolis

Sabrejet, so this jacket would have not been issued by the Army to my father? Perhaps he picked it up at the PX?

I am familiar with the second link as that is where I did some of my research on the jacket. They are claiming that one that looks identical to the one I have is a WW2 period B-9. See link below.

http://www.vintagetrends.com/military/itemdetails.asp?YZ=A09C9C9C888A92&RN=12&TR=20&SS=&MC=Military+Vintage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets%2FCoats&ST=WWII+Flight+Jackets

Also, bear in mind that the Army Air Force's B-9 parka was 100% down-filled. According to C.G. Sweeting's book (the "bible" in regard to WW2 aviation clothing) "...production (of the B-9) was discontinued in early 1944."