Corsair pilot grouping on ebay

ww1collector

corsair.jpg

A couple of bidders also turned out to be surprised at how high it went and left their top bids in the dust:

corsairbid.jpg

Cobrahistorian

The major value obviously is the painted flight jacket, but I figured it'd go in the $2000-2500 range. $4450 is really high. I wish I could afford to spend that though!!! :D

Don't get me wrong.......it's a super cool lot, just a little suprised at the final price. There's no doubt that there can't be too many USMC groups like this out there.

JD

In a grouping like this the value is much more than the sum of it's parts. A Marine Corsair grouping is way cool.

Its a great group, however look at the bids. Two guys bid super high, and the 3rd highest bid is in the 1800-1900 range. I thought it would sell for 2000-2500. That solid 10K wing is probably a 300-500 wing too.

Kurt

Its a great group, however look at the bids. Two guys bid super high, and the 3rd highest bid is in the 1800-1900 range. I thought it would sell for 2000-2500. That solid 10K wing is probably a 300-500 wing too.

Kurt

Kurt,

I too was surprised at the final bid on this grouping. I have a large grouping from a pilot in the same Squadron including his log book which notes three confirmed kills and 3 probables. Also included are his rigger modified flight helmet, trunk, photo album, plus his log book and wings from before the US entered the war and he flew in the RCAF. The jacket is especially rare as the squadron was commanded by Ed Overend a former AVG squadron leader and the VMF insignia painted on the jacket was taken from the Hell's angels insignia from that unit. Also Kurt, I want to thank you for your effort in trying to locate the names on my Purple Heart and Bronze Star. The Bronze star is a WWII issue in a WWII box. Was this normal for a Viet Nam award? I still would like to find out about the WWI Purple Heart named to Albert J. DeLaurier. Anyway thanks for your kind reply to my inquiry.

Mike (navyair-ww2)

Kurt,

I too was surprised at the final bid on this grouping. I have a large grouping from a pilot in the same Squadron including his log book which notes three confirmed kills and 3 probables. Also included are his rigger modified flight helmet, trunk, photo album, plus his log book and wings from before the US entered the war and he flew in the RCAF. The jacket is especially rare as the squadron was commanded by Ed Overend a former AVG squadron leader and the VMF insignia painted on the jacket was taken from the Hell's angels insignia from that unit. Also Kurt, I want to thank you for your effort in trying to locate the names on my Purple Heart and Bronze Star. The Bronze star is a WWII issue in a WWII box. Was this normal for a Viet Nam award? I still would like to find out about the WWI Purple Heart named to Albert J. DeLaurier. Anyway thanks for your kind reply to my inquiry.

Mike (navyair-ww2)

Mike

No problem. WWII vintage Bronze Star medals were commonly issued up through the 60's and even into the 70's. They had a lot of them left over after WWII.

I have not found anything on the WWI guy yet,

Kurt

kriegsmodell
Its a great group, however look at the bids. Two guys bid super high, and the 3rd highest bid is in the 1800-1900 range. I thought it would sell for 2000-2500. That solid 10K wing is probably a 300-500 wing too. Kurt

Not my collecting interest but there is no denying that it is a great grouping. To tag on a bit to what Kurt said on the bids - Appears to me that you had the two bidders that both put a "I've got to have it Hail Mary bid" at the end. That's what I call the "this should win the auction but I really hope I don't have end up paying that much" bid. The person that won may be thinking wow, I didn't expect anyone else to go that high! Have seen this before on eBay and perhaps I've even done it myself!!

My thoughts only - Lance O. Adams ....

Kurt

Hey Kurt !

I agree ! Fantastic grouping but two seller's "wet dreams" have certainly made his day...no doubt in my mind on that one. Both the jacket and utilities are really nice but the big stuff IMHO (and from my perspective) for the grouping are missing.

Vic

I agree, the items that really make a grouping stellar, for me anyway, are missing for that kind of money, even with the current price of Gold factored in for the wings. It is, however, really cool to see an original piece of VMF-321 flight gear show up on the market. Additionally, there was a nice VMF-321 M-422a that just sold on eB** that was mis-listed as a Flying Tiger's flight jacket. Navyair, be prepared for PM's with offers to pry your grouping out of your collection! ;) .