SUHWEEET Cricket!

JR KENMARK

Just found this on Ebay. Wish the tax refund was here or this one would be mine!

LINK DELETED AND THIS ACCOUNT BANNED

Looks to be a good one!

Oh Yeah........the New old authentic cricket.

Made by the original company, on the original machinery......just 65 years later. :lol:

Wanted to add this post from Sabrejet!

Proceed with caution! These Acme crickets are now being re-made in the UK for collectors using the original WW2 tooling and are sold in their little cartons of issue. They can be found on ebay/UK. Also, "distressed" versions are available...but these are NOT listed as originals. They look just like the example pictured here...or vice-versa.

Sabrejet

You pay your money, and you make your choice !

Oh Yeah........the New old authentic cricket.

Made by the original company, on the original machinery......just 65 years later. :lol:

Wanted to add this post from Sabrejet!

You pay your money, and you make your choice !

Uh, guess you didn't take the time to take a good look at the auction did you. If you did, you could clearly see that the one offered fro sale is different than the modern day ones. See, its cracks just like that that end up bringing doubt onto good items. I have seen it here and elsewhere MANY times.

Evaluate the item, not the story. This cricket is exactly the same as the one owned by collector Mark Bando and also collector Michelle de Trez. From what I understand, Bando has seen the offered cricket in hand and it matches the Lage example......................................perfectly.

SIR,

I read the "story" completely!...........And as I said, "pay your money, and take your choice"!

Also, I didn't makes any "cracks"........I stated my opinion!

SIR,

I read the "story" completely!...........And as I said, "pay your money, and take your choice"!

Also, I didn't makes any "cracks"........I stated my opinion!

Jack, what is your opinion based on? Knowledge of crickets?

Not trying to cause a fight here just posted what looks to be, in my highly educated opinion on crickets, what sure looks to be a real one. I just think people need to be careful when condemning items off hand and making light of other people's auctions on websites such as this one. I have seen it happen MANY times in which real, original items were slammed by many who had very little knowledge or experience on said items.

No provenance - no buy. Looks can be deceiving and with such a rare object and so few who can say for sure, unless directly from a vet, I would avoid it. Looks too new to me, even if sitting in a box for 65 yrs.

JMO,

Dave

Johan Willaert

Well, it looks OK to me.

A full box of these surfaced in the UK nearly 10 years ago and some of our members got one...

One member had the entire box and sold off most of the crickets inside.

Well, it looks OK to me.

A full box of these surfaced in the UK nearly 10 years ago and some of our members got one...

One member had the entire box and sold off most of the crickets inside.

That's exactly where this one came from Johan! It came from a guy named Mike I believe? I think the guy that found the box in the UK was Gary Howard if I am not mistaken.

Sure, provenance is a great thing to have but when you come across something that matches absolutely perfect to a real item, it is probably real. By the way, how many items in all our collections have rock hard provenance? 5%? Maybe? Does this stop you from collecting? Haven't seen it happen yet! This is the case here. Absolutely, no question, hands down perfect match. The Chrome/Nickle plated versions hold up extremely well. George "Doc" Lage carried his on the D-Day jump and throughout his time in Normandy and his looks better than this one. Mr. Bando has brought this one over to Europe on several occasions around his neck on a dog tag chain. They don't really get age on them like the brass models do.

Like I said, if my tax return was here, this one would be long gone!

Just found this on Ebay. Wish the tax refund was here or this one would be mine!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Chrome-type-N...1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks to be a good one!

Perhaps someone can add the pics here from the auction? It is beyond my basic computer knowledge. Plus it would serve well as a reference on an original Chrome/Nickle plated cricket!

No provenance - no buy. Looks can be deceiving and with such a rare object and so few who can say for sure, unless directly from a vet, I would avoid it. Looks too new to me, even if sitting in a box for 65 yrs.

JMO,

Dave

So Dave, does everything you have bought for your collection have provenance? If so, you are a lucky man indeed! Even your very expensive and rare items? Or do you go off of the knowledge you have gained over the years of collecting, handling real and fake items alike, talking to other, more advanced collectors etc? Again, their are WAY too many so called "experts" here and on other forums who automatically and wrongfully diismiss many great items because they are rare, seldom seen, too "new" looking etc. Would a collector not buy a jump jacket because it is brand new, unused condition? No. They look at ALL the tell tale signs, such as manufacturers tags, snaps, zips, grommets, colors, manufacturers styles and known techniques. Hell, I even know a few guys that take it down to the thread used in the stitching! How about knife collectors? Do they not buy a knife because it looks brand new? No. They look for all of the known tell tale things in what they collect.

Just because an item is in new condition, doesn't make it a fake or reproduction. Each item should be scrutinized for and on its own merits.

I think everyone has different collecting tastes. Me personally, I like items I know were used and owned by a veteran, because I am not a "type" collector generally. As an example, all the WWII USN flight jackets I own have name tags and some wear to them..... except one. When a very rare example of an M-422 showed up in mint un-issued condition, I bought it because the price was right. If another example showed up with a squadron patch and a name tag on it with some wear, Id probably sell mine and buy that one.

I think the crickets are cool, but if I was spending $1800, I probably would rather have something I know " was there" rather than found new in a warehouse. I would rather have one of those dug ones from Normandy. Thats just my preference.

Kurt

I think everyone has different collecting tastes. Me personally, I like items I know were used and owned by a veteran, because I am not a "type" collector generally. As an example, all the WWII USN flight jackets I own but one have name tags and some wear to them..... except one. When a very rare example of an M-422 showed up in mint un-issued condition, I bought it because the price was right. If another example showed up with a squadron patch and a name tag on it with some wear, Id probably sell mine and buy that one.

I think the crickets are cool, but if I was spending $1800, I probably would rather have something I know " was there" rather than found new in a warehouse. I would rather have one of those dug ones from Normandy. Thats just my preference.

Kurt

Oh, absolutely! I know collectors that will only buy an item if it has been used and is beat up. I also know guys that only want the most mint examples only. It IS a preference thing. Sometimes when an item comes up and it's real, rare and you are looking for that item, in my experience you better jump on it. I have beat myself up over letting an item go because I think I will get one later or at a better price, more than a few times.

Sir,

Despite my anger over your gratuitous remakes to me, I don't believe we need a lecture about how we should do our collecting or express our opinions.

I an NOT missing your point, please don't "run over" mine. I did not liable the item in question, I expresses my opinion of it, and put it out here of others to consider. I have not "beaten" my point into every person who has commented.

You feel strongly about people only expressing similar opinions when you present. This noted, I will steer clear of your posts and threads as not to take away the "pied piper"act.

JS

Sir,

Despite my anger over your gratuitous remakes to me, I don't believe we need a lecture about how we should do our collecting or express our opinions.

I an NOT missing your point, please don't "run over" mine. I did not liable the item in question, I expresses my opinion of it, and put it out here of others to consider. I have not "beaten" my point into every person who has commented.

You feel strongly about people only expressing similar opinions when you present. This noted, I will steer clear of your posts and threads as not to take away the "pied piper"act.

JS

You are not being objective when you make uninformed comments about something in which you obviously no little about.

What is your point? That it must be bad because it looks new?

I made my point by stating facts about the item that you made disparaging comments on. All I am saying is, if you don't know about an item, why make uninformed comments about it? Would you like if I or someone else shadowed your posts and made negative comments about every item you present and stating that "it's just my opinion"?

These kind of "opinions" are expressed on here all too often. Yes, many times they can be right, but what about the other times they are wrong about an item? Collateral damage?

You are not being objective when you make uninformed comments about something in which you obviously no little about.

What is your point? That it must be bad because it looks new?

I made my point by stating facts about the item that you made disparaging comments on. All I am saying is, if you don't know about an item, why make uninformed comments about it? Would you like if I or someone else shadowed your posts and made negative comments about every item you present and stating that "it's just my opinion"?

These kind of "opinions" are expressed on here all too often. Yes, many times they can be right, but what about the other times they are wrong about an item? Collateral damage?

I note from your avatar that you're a recently joined member with a modest number of posts. We have a well-established, friendly community of experienced collectors on here which exists to share knowledge and enthusiasm about our common passion...ie collecting US militaria in all of its forms. Sometimes opinions differ, but it's usually expressed in a friendly and gentlemanly manner. I detect in a "hostile" tone in your responses which really isn't necessary. Jack's Son expressed an opinion which differs from yours. Simply agree to disagree. Period.

Sabrejet

You just don't know when to let things go.

"Being Right" and "Having the last word" are not good signs of "Objectivity".

If you want to impress others, move on and ignore me!!