Post your military armbands.

Sabrejet

McDermut99

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Approx. 15" long by 5" wide, with some type of lamination/plastic coating on the backside. Nylon with white printed design and merrowed edges. I don't know exactly when this type was used, but an educated guess would be from the 1980's to 2000's, maybe into the 2010's.

E8A8A0D5-86BF-43F0-8A3F-AFD0C2C62302_1_105_c.jpeg.5da8372242656c916c335565543a789a.jpeg561393BF-CEBC-4DAF-904B-69B362707E8A_1_105_c.jpeg.84f43376d345abaff4d2becffcbf4a99.jpeg39F8E32C-B1CF-4476-B7DA-C4358FCD5D8A_1_105_c.jpeg.f6c77378cde30034ae5b28b90e7b7c88.jpeg351F1EA8-788F-468D-997A-58F5BC58AAA8_1_105_c.jpeg.d45bbcdc9166359c034e70e5e4acb153.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210710/2041fcc3234e4bba9c6d6424c8073109.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210710/7709fe941425b600000a019ef4598783.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

On 13 September 2020, Patches posted a picture of a solder wearing the Super Jock armband, which appears to made on leatherette.  Last year I was able to win such an armband on Ebay but no one had bided against me.  My armband is made on regular material.  Does anyone know if the armband is still being awarded for those who max the PT test?

Fort Leonard Wood, Cbt Eng, Super Jock, Arm Band--F.jpg

Fort Leonard Wood, Cbt Eng, Super Jock, Arm Band--R.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

image.jpeg

That's a most unusual Army Ground Forces/Continental Army Command patch, doesn't look like a standard patch for this unit, looks almost like it directly embroidered on, or at least the border. Can you show it close up?

Your standard patch for this unit,

s-l500.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Well, patches, here’s the back of the armband:

image.jpeg

Hum, don’t know why it posted upside down, and here’s the front:

image.jpeg

Salvage Sailor
1 hour ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

image.jpeg

US Coast Guard Shore Patrol - Very Groovy

Salvage Sailor

Staying with the unusual Nautical Armbands.... a repost

TRANSPORT SURGEON

1292357624_USNTransportSurgeon004.jpg.b9772bd9369445465c72b29867862c62.jpg

Aloha Everyone,

I've had this Transport Surgeon armband in my collection for decades and have never seen another like it. Due to the construction of the armband I've always identified this as "Navy" not Army, even though the Transport Surgeon position is typically an Army Doctor who's staffing requirements are supplemented by USN shipboard medical personnel. I have seen Transport Surgeon armbands which were late WWII issue (1945) for APA/AKA troop transports but these were with black lettering on a yellow armband, not green.

I've identified this as "Navy" due to

The Green Armband (USN Medical Department color)

The Block Lettering typical to all USN armbands

The Felt Material typical to all WWI/WWII USN armbands

The fancy Safety Pins, also typical to USN armbands

1201901912_USNTransportSurgeon006.jpg.f9e80746785f48cd9f6b7e31fa1f2a23.jpg

I know that the Army Transport Surgeon was an appointed medical officer who was responsible for the overall medical inspection of all Army troops embarked on WWI & WWII transport vessels.

So, do any of you have another example of this armband in any color?

DOCUMENTS

Excerpt from "The Army Medical Department 1917-1941"

2028619781_TransportSurgeon01.jpg.71b8e7969543e2cdfcd0a4be2724bc5f.jpg

2045273845_TransportSurgeon02.jpg.2a3be982a2c662a27472b37dd8d96ef2.jpg

1422152964_TransportSurgeon03.jpg.2f1187e2fc90eff1c20e49e37896ba72.jpg

WWII Operation Torch 1st Infantry Division order from Terry Allen, 1942

RE:  MEDICAL - TROOP SURGEON/TRANSPORT SURGEON

By authority of
CG, 1st Inf Div.
Initials _______

HEADQUARTERS 1ST INFANTRY DIVISION
APO # 1, United States Army

MEDICAL

9 October 1942

APPENDIX # 2 ) : TO ADM O # 1 )
VOYAGE

The senior medical officer on each personnel ship will be designated as Troop Surgeon and will co-operate with the Transport Surgeon to the fullest extent.

Sick call will be held daily, and, at all tines, a medical officer will be present in the dispensary or on immediate call for dispensary duty.

The usual disposition of hospital cases is to the ship hospital. This is under control of the Navy and an informal transfer is required to transfer a patient. The emergency Medical Tag (I/D Form No. 52 ) will be used for this purpose and will be prepared in duplicate. Original will accompany patient and duplicate will be kept for dispensary file.

Trained Army medical personnel to assist in the sick bay will be provided at the Transport Surgeon's request.

Because of the necessity of close quarters aboard ship, constant close supervision is necessary, particularly in the following spheres:

Mess: Aboard ship, the mess will be inspected at each meal time by a medical officer. This inspection will be complete and will cover:

Shortage of food

Preparation of meals.

Serving

Washing of mess gear.

Disposal of garbage.

Sufficient kitchen help (cooks & K.P.'s). Limited eating space frequently necessitates prolonged mess hours and laxity may result if kitchen help is overworked.

Food handlers will be examined daily, and, in the event of a tropical voyage, will be changed twice daily. Salt tablets will be taken as indicated.

Quarters:

Cleanliness of quarters and latrines must be rigidly enforced. Daily inspection will be held and deficiency reports submitted to the Troop Commander.

Bedding will be aired above decks twice weekly for a two hour period as the weather permits.

Shower facilities vary, and water control may dictate rationing.

Clothing: Humidity will be high aboard ship, and profuse perspiration frequently causes severe heat rash. All possible attempts will be made for the men to have dry, clean changes available.

Supplies: Unit surgeons will check medical supplies and insure that sufficient quantity is available.

Vaccines and serums will be available for completion of injections from the Division Medical Supply. Insofar as is possible, inoculations will be completed before debarkation.

UNIT SURGEONS WILL MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF INFECTIOUS AND CONTAGIOUS DISEASES.

DEBARKATION.

All personnel will have a special inspection twenty-four (24) hours prior to debarkation, special emphasis to be paid to skin diseases, parasitic diseases, contagious, and infectious diseases.

All cases held for hospitalization will be disposed of through the Troop Surgeon and Transport Surgeon. All enlisted men's records and personal effects will accompany the men.

Prior to debarkation, unit Surgeons will assure themselves by personal inspection that individual medical equipment and supplies are complete and are carried ashore by the individual. He will confer with the Ship TQM relative to priority of unloading organizational equipment and will know its whereabouts and probable disposition.

ALLEN
Maj Gen

OFFICIAL:

EYMER
G-4.

Cobra 6 Actual

Salvage Sailor, I believe I have one of those armbands, too. Mine has the same colors as yours as I recall.  It will probably take me several days to actually ‘lay hands’ on it, but I don’t recall that there was any clarity from the seller about which service it was from.

Meanwhile, on to other things: 

image.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Referring back to Post #254, that is another armband from the same unit:

image.jpeg.704f0dd7399257bb3f16b0fe8a33e0f9.jpeg

I believe that “A/DACG” means “Arrival/Departure Airfield Control Group”.

Cobra 6 Actual
7 hours ago, jmd62 said:

I hope it doesn't glow in the dark.. ;D  Very cool armband! :)

So far, no glow … but I’ll keep a Geiger counter handy just in case, jmd62. Here’s an Army aviation instructor armband:

image.jpeg