RESTORING A M1 HELMET UPDATE

BILL THE PATCH

I'm don't mean to rain on any parades but I would get some opinions before putting a helmet in the family oven.

I've read in other threads about possible flame ups and also leaving a paint smell in the oven. I think somewhere

on At The Fronts website it's discussed and if not there it's around somewhere because I remember reading it and

they were discussing that a regular oven is not made for attaining the heat that needs to be applied to a steel helmet.

I hear what you say and I suppose it's a valid point worthy of consideration. The whole paint-cork-bake process is the technique advocated by the supplier of the materials I used. I had no problems of the type you describe. I suppose it's up to the individual whether to go down that road or not. Safety first!

Sabrejet

I hear what you say and I suppose it's a valid point worthy of consideration. The whole paint-cork-bake process is the technique advocated by the supplier of the materials I used. I had no problems of the type you describe. I suppose it's up to the individual whether to go down that road or not. Safety first!

Sabrejet

Safety first!? :think: There's no fun in that! :lol:;)

BILL THE PATCH

if i was to put this helmet in my WIFE'S oven, i'm going to need a helmet for protection. that's a definate ask your wife first thing. but i will ask anyhow, i'll just tell her i'm preserving history :D i'llpost new pic's tommorow of the touch i gave the helmet. with or without the oven

I USE CORK BOUGHT RIGHT FROM J MURRAY INC, THEY SPECIALIZE IN RESTORING WW2 HELMETS. I DID NOT USE SAND PAPER AS OF YET CAN YOU SHOOT ME A PIC OF A WW2 ORIGINAL PAINT JOB WITH CLOSEUP'S. THAT WOULD BE A GREAT HELP.

Saberjet posted a good pic. Maybe it is just the shadows being cast from the cork. The best I can do are cell phone pics.

This is an original McCord front seam. The paint is original, but the MP markings are not.

post-641-1286846223.jpg

This is my first helmet attempt. I need to strip and do this one over, but it shows the cork I used.

post-641-1286846234.jpg

sorry for the bad photos

Hey Bill,

Do what I did, go to Wal-Mart, in housewares get a cheese gratter that has the small holes,then right around there

close by should be a small plastic package with 6,I think called, wine bottle corks,then hunt up the salt shakers and grab one of those. Then go over to hardware and get a can of the Krylon Camo green. All of this together might

cost you $20 bucks. When you get it home start gratting the corks over a piece of newspaper. You'll be surprised

just how much cork will be produced from just one of those corks. Put the cork in the shaker, spray the helmet

and start sprinkling the cork. By going this route you won't have to worry about using up all your J Murray cork

and you can really start putting it on thick. You'll need it on thick account some will come off when you do the

sanding. I used a fine grit, I can't remember just how fine and I don't have any left that I can go and check. Others

might have some ideas but this worked for me.

+1

Have a look at other member's reproduction paint jobs :thumbsup:

Link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...rs+reproduction

Link:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ed,and,restored

BILL THE PATCH
What did you use to strip the white paint of the liner down to the green paint? That is what you did? Right??

Regards

John

yes the liner was white also. it's called rinse off # 5 it's a paint remover i bought at ace ( is the place).

• 5 years later...

Bill, how did yours turn out????

So digging this up.. I came across three rusty, crusty, helmets. Two totally trashed, rusted, pin holes etc....the third is a Schlueter 290C...this will be my second Schlueter helmet that needs a resto...the first is the bright green helmet, posted a while ago....

was wondering how saw dust from a table saw will look Vs ground cork? and I read the cork should be mixed with the paint, then brushed on... I have a gallon of WWII vintage OD paint (yep original) from jeep restos, and don't want to mix cork in the paint even if I use a mixing cup, I would have excess etc...anyway...

has anyone tried spraying helmet with 3m spray glue, applying the cork then painting?...or maybe spraying with walmart camo, applying cork, then brushing the WWII OD???

My end result goal is to have two 36th ID T patched helmets

150-200 I think....baste lightly every 3 minutes!

Sabrejet ;)

How would effect the cloth chin straps if they are WWII bar tacks, fire, burning, if ever slight??