Ripstop camo M65

Spike

So maybe these have been discussed somewhere on this site but what is the deal with these. I have had this for about 20yrs and every now and then I find it. Are these strictly civilian? That would be my guess. I was told these were late VN era but the material looks RDF? What say ya'll?

post-532-0-50791400-1574064587_thumb.jpg

Looks like a high quality civilian copy judging from the label. Most assuredly not Marine Corps issue in the 1970's. We didn't get cammouflage field jackets until the late 1980's and by then they were the woodland pattern.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

"You will see photos of Marines, USAF Security Police & ARVN troops wearing these in the 70's."

If this is true I would love to see them. This isn't VN era material.

Owen, I tend to agree. Still, you don't see these that often and these are the only ripstop M65s that I have run across.

easterneagle87

Isn't this what they refer to as the: RDF - ERDL camo pattern. (Rapid Deployment Force)

Produced after the green - green ERDL's and before the mass produced 1980's woodland's. That's how I categorize them by date.

In my opinion, a much nicer and more durable uniform than those god awful Post Vietnam OG sateen crap they issued. The pants had cargo pockets. They were better color wise as well as they didn't fade to bluish gray when washed a billion times.

vintageproductions

"You will see photos of Marines, USAF Security Police & ARVN troops wearing these in the 70's."

If this is true I would love to see them. This isn't VN era material.

Owen, I tend to agree. Still, you don't see these that often and these are the only ripstop M65s that I have run across.

I showed you photos of these being worn in the warehouse when I bought that load from LJ.

milsurp_scout_14

Alpha Industries was a supplier of the M65 to the military for decades. That being said, every military Alpha Industries (or any company for that matter) M65 has a contract number. All the 'civilian' models have the RN number. They look exactly the same because they're made on the same equipment by the same supplier (at least they were...more modern Alpha stuff isn't quite the same anymore). As with anything, it is conceivable that this was bought private purchase by a service member and used. Brass Scovill zipper M65's usually date to the very late 1970s-mid 1980s. I'm not sure why any military specification would ever call for light ripstop on a cold weather jacket.