Medal of Honor uniform at the thrift store today!

robinb

I don't go to thrift stores very often but today I'm very glad that I did! USMC Col. H. H. Hanneken's uniform was found today. He joined the USMC in 1914. Won the MoH in Haiti in 1919 for assassinating resistance leader Charlemagne Péralte, his first Navy Cross a few months later, a second in 1929. Was stationed on the USS Harry Lee in 1940 ( see the label in the uniform. His address is listed as Harry Lee). Served in the 1st USMC Division on Guadalcanal where he won the Silver Star. A Legion of Merit on Peleliu, and a Bronze Star on Cape Gloucester.

You can see his initials, HHH, penned in one shoulder, and 2 diamond shaped patches shadows. Probably Ships Detachment and the 1st Marine Division.

MVC-036S.JPG

MVC-037S.JPG

MVC-038S.JPG

MVC-039S.JPG

Austin_Militaria

Makes you wonder how it got there? Who donated it? Is there more to still to be priced, or did the rest get tossed in the rag pile.

Captainofthe7th

Is this perhaps the 2017 find of the year?? What a staggering find, congratulations! Goes to show, always check the pockets and name tags. An otherwise common looking coat can really transform when dig just a little.

Rob

Just speechless! This one just begs to be restored. Can you legally cut out a paper representation of the MOH ribbon and put it on the ribbon bar?

BKW

Just speechless! This one just begs to be restored. Can you legally cut out a paper representation of the MOH ribbon and put it on the ribbon bar?

BKW

Yes, printouts are legal. I use a printout and cardboard MOH on my USMC MOH recipient mess dress

TheMinistryOfAviation

Thanks for all of the nice comments. Do I have to say that I've been walking on a cloud all day?

Shoooooot... I'm surprised you can walk at all!

I'm weak in the knees just thinking about it!

Well done!

-Jeremy