• Donate

Type donation amount in box below.

IMPORTANT! If you donate via PayPal using an e-mail address different than the one you are currently using on USMF and would like a 2022 Donor Icon added to your account, you MUST CONTACT vintageproductions or stratasfan and let them know what email address was used for the donation.

Thank you for supporting USMF.

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recent Posts

• bulldog06
      Was a ribbon bar with the narrow white stripe first ribbon issued with the first Navy Cross medals?   If so, was it 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" long? Pinback?   thank you Mike
    • UK Medal guy
      Beautiful medal, real early quality production. I have one of these too, and as you say, it is heavy – gilded bronze I think. I particularly like the finish on these earlier medals, crisp and fine details on the designs.
    • lamarhooten
      Has there been any award or authorization of the Arrowhead device for any 'assault or landing' after Vietnam? The AB landing and beach landing in Grenada? Or any of the landings/AB drops in Panama?
    • lamarhooten
      I would put money on the possibility it is just that.  
    • patches
      Here's a couple of original OD ones.   A Tan-ish OD (Sold by Forum Member) https://www.ebay.com/itm/355729120400?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AfmBOooZCfotBGrECruMqT7Zo32kdOr3h1-WDN-eU_QrEBl6XGTGvqIB2l4   A Dark OD https://www.ebay.com/itm/115495388422  
    • Bosley
      Thanks, Nooby416.  I guess that does make sense, considering I'm in the Chicago-land area.   @Forum Manager , would you be able to move this over to the M1917 subforum?  Sorry about that, and let me know if there is a preferred way I to request a move/edit like this.  Thank you!
    • doyler
      US troops in the back of a M3A1 Scout Car with an M2 .50 MG and two M1919 .30 MGs during training at Fort Huachuca, Arizona - 1943 Note the absence of ammunition belts During WW2, the 92nd and 93rd Infantry Divisions trained at Fort Huachuca. The Fort is still an active US Military Base despite a brief closure from 1947 to 1951. LIFE Magazine Archives - Charles Steinheimer Photographer WWP-PD  
    • Nooby416
      That is not a medic symbol, it's the insignia of the 33rd Division, there is a castle below it so the helmet was used by an engineer. There is a 1 before the 9.   Underneath the felt pad is an asbestos pad.
    • patches
      Also notice a JUNGLE EXPERT PP being worn, standing far left, since this photo is presumably in 1956-57, this would be the first time we're seeing it worn in the 50s.  
    • skylog6
      Very similar brooch. Wish I knew who the maker of my NSM was.   Here is my 1959 Department of the Army Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service. I find the planchet very heavy, maybe a little heavier than a Purple Heart.   My only other pre 1980s civilian medal is a Vietnam Civilian Service Medal that's probably from the 1970s.   From the Army Institute of Heraldry “The medal was approved as the Exceptional Civilian Service Award by the War Department on 29 December 1945. In November 2014, the Secretary of the Army approved a modification to the Department of the Army Civilian Service Medals in order to make their nomenclature more consistent with their military equivalents. At that time the award was renamed the Distinguished Civilian Service Medal and the inscription on the reverse was changed accordingly. This award consists of a regular size medal, miniature size medal, service ribbon, lapel button and certificate.”
  • * While this forum is partially supported by our advertisers, we make no claim nor endorsement of authenticity of the products which these advertisers sell. If you have an issue with any advertiser, please take it up with them and not with the owner or staff of this forum.