• Donate

Type donation amount in box below.

IMPORTANT! If you donate via PayPal using an e-mail address different than the one you are currently using on USMF and would like a 2022 Donor Icon added to your account, you MUST CONTACT vintageproductions or stratasfan and let them know what email address was used for the donation.

Thank you for supporting USMF.

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recent Posts

• FT.Monmouth1943
      Thank you for all that information! I really appreciate it. And yes, 3 of the 4 are like the one you show in the photo. Those ones are all in good condition, the last one is beat to hell and has a large chunk of wood missing, but I’m sure someone could salvage it. Is it normal for the receiver on the regular 1873s to not fit in the carbine stocks? They fit in the 1881 dated stock (same style as the one you posted a photo of) but not the other three. I’m pretty out of my elements when it comes to this stuff, but I’m thinking improper storage may have caused the wood to shrink a little on the other three stocks.
    • iron bender
      Love the new m43 pants over the wool pants. You can see his belt buckle sticking out the top. Plus the parachute scarf. Vest? Maybe British?
    • doyler
    • doyler
      To me it looks like you may have a couple of Trapdoor carbine sticks. The sticks that have the larger rear screw oval look like the style for the bar the saddle ring carbine has. I know they can be pretty sought after as far as stocks go if in useable or repairable condition.      
    • doyler
      I know there are various methods for rust removal and depending on how heavy the rust is may also factor in. Some use the product Kroil to to soak the heavy rust then remove Have seen where the old gun smiths here soak in diesel fuel or a combination of transmission fluid and Acetone. There are variations of the mix and mist can be found on line.    For scraping some use an old copper penny as it isnt supposed to scratch the metal or effect the bluing or finish thats left. I heard of brass wool as well works. One product I have used and works well is the Big 45 scrub pads found at gun shows and also on line. I dont use anything else for years. One gun smith I have know for 45 + years sells them and uses them. I recall Scheels has them for sale also. Mainly just go slow and tale your time. Try a small spot first to test how the removal is going. Also you can re-blue the barrels with a cold blue one sold by Brownells works well called Oxpho Blue. It can be ordered or found at Cabellas. 
    • Ranger-1972
      His son-in-law, Major Thomas Taylor Galloway (USMA '42), was a fighter pilot (in the 436th Fighter Squadron) who was also killed in Europe (France) during WWII (24 Jul 1944). Maj. Thomas Taylor “Tom” Galloway (1919-1944) - Find a Grave Memorial   General Almond died in San Antonio, Texas in 1979.   VMI still awards the Lieutenant General Edward Mallory Almond '15 Award annually to the First Classman (senior) for academic, athletic, and military excellence.  There is also a portrait of the general in the VMI library (showing him wearing the X Corps SSI).  It is on the same floor as the portrait of then-General George C. Marshall, VMI '01, when he was serving as the Army Chief of Staff during WWII.    
    • patches
      This is Staff Sergeant Tommy Miles earlier in like 1966, seems to have already served a tour by virtue of his Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.
    • Collector .45
      Really truly spectacular group Kurt. Thanks for posting this.    - Henry
    • John4022
      Maybe this one?   https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675054317_USS-Wasp_enlisted-men_official-insignia_752-Tank-Battalion
    • doyler
      Nice Aussie cover and desirable for someone wanting to do a Aussie Vietnam gear display/impression  
  • * While this forum is partially supported by our advertisers, we make no claim nor endorsement of authenticity of the products which these advertisers sell. If you have an issue with any advertiser, please take it up with them and not with the owner or staff of this forum.