• Donate

Type donation amount in box below.

IMPORTANT! If you donate via PayPal using an e-mail address different than the one you are currently using on USMF and would like a 2022 Donor Icon added to your account, you MUST CONTACT vintageproductions or stratasfan and let them know what email address was used for the donation.

Thank you for supporting USMF.

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recent Posts

• Connor1941
    • knifeguy
      Oh great. Glad I didn't hop on them. I will have to be sure to learn how to detect these and stay away from
    • AustinO
      Both are Pakistani reproductions.
    • patches
      Lets add one more Green Stripe one. What's this Branch called again, don't feel like digging out my books LOL.    
    • knifeguy
      Are these authentic? Unfamiliar with these particular types. I am currently searching for similar examples here to learn from Any help is appreciated 
    • ocsfollowme
      Large canvas patch from Buick Keep'em Flying
    • USMCHisoryBuff
      Thinking about your question more, I am almost certain that the buttons from the auction site predates the 1820's. Peasley obtained a large amount of business in his day, to the point where the absence of numbers and other examples of numbers 1, 3, and 4 indicate that he did not make Navy buttons after 1820. He did make a great deal of Maine militia buttons post 1820 due to Maine becoming a state that year. He also has the most variation to backmarks made for the Marine Corps. Bruce Bazelon and William Leigh's book showcase 4 which are:   MC-1: "A.M. Peasley Boston" MC-3: "Ne Plus Ultra - Treble Gilt Stand Col", "C. Newman Tailor Boston", "Extra Rich Orange"   Not in the book are two other backmarks of: MC-1: "C. Newman Tailor Boston" MC-3: "Clapp and Nichols Tailor Boston Mass - A.M.P - D.S.   These buttons were essentially made from the same front die, with little to no variation be sides die ware.   One problem I am running into with this research is the variations of dates, I can get pretty close but that's about it. I do know that Peasley made the Corps' insignia before the 1820 uniform regulations because of the Clapp and Nichols backmark, which would be between 1810-1816. So the quote of "Regulations follow practice" is very true in this case, but it is frustrating. As well example of Marine buttons possess the "No 5" on the backmark, indicating there was an amendment to this uniform regulation.  
    • doyler
      US Nurse on Guadalcanal uses her helmet shell for washing in early 1943 LIFE Magazine Archives - Ralph Morse Photographer    
    • Kiwiman
      Hi Bob,   Glad that you liked it! I'm planning to move on some of my wings that I've had for almost 25 years, including this one if there is sufficient interest.   Cheers   Ray
    • patches
      And to show what we're talking about in regards to the 28th Infantry's French Rope.   A 1943 Stateside shot of a 28th Infantry Tech 5 with the unit Rope, note the 8th Infantry Division patch there.
  • * While this forum is partially supported by our advertisers, we make no claim nor endorsement of authenticity of the products which these advertisers sell. If you have an issue with any advertiser, please take it up with them and not with the owner or staff of this forum.