Ebay help question

captaxe

I used Auctiva software to list an auction of 8th Air Force stuff. I know on ebay when I list directly through them I have the option to restrict bidding from certain countries, but don't recall having this option when I did it on Auctiva (I have only used Auctiva a couple of times previously).

Anyway, as part of the auction description I stated US/UK/Canada sales only. Some jimboney from France won the auction. Am I obligated to ship to him because I didn't specifically exclude France or am I OK because I put the disclaimer in the description? It was around $700 worth of stuff-- just closed. Thanks.

Just a guess, but I would think you would be o.k. not accepting his winning bid. To me it is no different then someone saying postage is $10 no matter what if you win. If the postage is to much, but you win the bid, you still have to pay.

You will need his permission to cancel the sale and get back the ebay fees charged to you: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-tra...on-process.html

Forum Support-

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a bit of a time consuming endeavor. I'm tempted to just go through with the sale and avoid the hassle as long as he pays via paypal. I've heard horror stories about shipping to France (although once I successfully sent a uniform grouping to Henri-Paul Enjames in France-- the only time I've shipped there) -- anything to watch out for? I plan to send with full insurance if I do decide to send.

Ship it fully trackable! Too many great items have been "lost" to thieves in customs or to the buyer that claims "it never arrived".

Forum Support-

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a bit of a time consuming endeavor. I'm tempted to just go through with the sale and avoid the hassle as long as he pays via paypal. I've heard horror stories about shipping to France (although once I successfully sent a uniform grouping to Henri-Paul Enjames in France-- the only time I've shipped there) -- anything to watch out for? I plan to send with full insurance if I do decide to send.

I ship to Europe, Asia and other non-USA destinations all the time and in hundreds of shipments I had one package go astray and that was a shortwave radio I sold to someone in Brazil. Apparently it's not good idea to write "shortwave radio" on the customs form for all to see enroute to the destination.

Sorry to belabor this topic guys, but your advice is appreciated.

Here is what the buyer wrote back when I told him I would calculate shipping costs

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your confidence. As I have 100% of positive feedbacks and I use Paypal for payments I thought it wouldn't be a problem for you to ship overseas.

You can get a tracking number and a delivery with signature.

According Christmas time, please declare and insure the packet for a value of 300$ or less. I don't want french postmen to be curious and open the packet to steal something inside or half of its contain.

I am waiting for you invoice and will pay immediatly.

I'm not comfortable insuring for less than the actual value. Appreciate your thoughts.

If you want to discourage him, tell him you will only fill out the customs forms in a truthful manor.

That you will not under value it in case it is lost, you want to recover the full amount of the value of the item.

Sorry to belabor this topic guys, but your advice is appreciated.

Here is what the buyer wrote back when I told him I would calculate shipping costs

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your confidence. As I have 100% of positive feedbacks and I use Paypal for payments I thought it wouldn't be a problem for you to ship overseas.

You can get a tracking number and a delivery with signature.

According Christmas time, please declare and insure the packet for a value of 300$ or less. I don't want french postmen to be curious and open the packet to steal something inside or half of its contain.

I am waiting for you invoice and will pay immediatly.

I'm not comfortable insuring for less than the actual value. Appreciate your thoughts.

E-mail him back and tell him how you feel about it, that you'd feel better about insuring for the full amount.

teufelhunde.ret

DON'T EVEN think about forging customs forms!

normaninvasion

I couldn't agree more with the above. I know European customs has unfair fees and taxes, but that is the buyers responsibility. I am happy to do buisness overseas, but always make sure I cover my rear by using Priority w/ tracking and fully insured. I have had some headaches and bs because a buyer didn't want to pay customs but ebay sided with me since the package was there and waiting to be picked up.

I agree with the above posters, declaring false values on customs forms is illegal. Also, if the package is lost, the buyer will get all of his money back through PayPal, and you'll only be able to make a claim for the declared value. If you stated in your listing that you do not ship internationally, then I believe it falls under eBay's unwelcome bidding policy, and you shouldn't need for him to agree to cancel the transaction. From eBay's website:

If your listing clearly said that you don't accept international bids, but an international bidder wins anyway, you can either:

- Decline the bid and use the Unpaid Item process to get a Final Value Fee credit.

I dont see what the major issue is with shipping overseas. It is after all a global economy these days! I dont want to come off as having a go, but its not hard to ship internationally.

Its the same post office to ship it to Arizona as to Australia. You only need to spend a little extra time and effort filling in the custons form. Which by the way should never be forged. Always have them pay via Paypal and always ship insured and you will not have a problem :thumbsup: In the unlikely event of something going missing, the buyer has paypal as their back up and you have the shipping insurance :thumbsup:

In well over six hundred ebay transactions most from the US, I have only had one go missing. To be sure it was a big one, but I also know the seller never sent the item anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

To chime in as well and mirror what some others have said, do not falsify customs forms. I have received numerous requests and refuse to do so. I gladly refund their money and terminate the sale if they continue to push the issue. If they want the item bad enough though, they will agree to the terms. With that being said though, I have had a large number of pleasant transactions with collectors all over the world.

Johan Willaert

Paypal refunds your entire payment sum, not what you write on the customs form...

Paypal does not even know if you put some kind of form on the package....

I have hundreds of Transatlantic buys in 10 years.... Not once has a parcel gone lost..

This is all great and topical information, since I just got a request [from France] about shipping an ebay item. I have never shipped anything abroad. I am wondering who is your preferred shipper of choice. USPS, Fed-X, UPS? I'm all ears. Thanks.

I am going ask what difference does it make it you mark something as a gift if it is going overseas? :think:

The person that receives it dosen't have to pay customs duties when it gets to him.If I read all this correctly.