H&H M37 Pinback Dress Emblem

Brig

So what you are telling me is H&H made this as a sweetheart pin.Then someone took it and added the rope?I don't think so.Just my two cents.I'm not trying to talk you down sorry.

As stated, the first one posted comes from H&H with a rope applied; OR made in one piece w/ ropes and even in a variety with Rhinestones! though I've not seen this piece worn on Dress Blues. I have one and and will post a pic when I find it. These are Sweethearts. Pure & simple. All rights BTW - ever seen a lefty? Nope!

I must admit I used to think they were Epaulette birds but then I joined the Forum and learned a few things about EGAs. Check out the EGA Reference Section; lots to see.

Semper Fi......Bobgee

Well, whatever they were made for,I have seen H&H pinbacks on a uniform at Bolognese's shop in 1995.Yes, lefts are hard to find.Just like the EM tin emblem.You show me proof that H&H made these for sweethearts and I will be proven wrong.Ever seen 30's droopy shoulder knots?Doesn't mean some Marine didn't make them for himself.I have been studying EGA's for a long time.I still see new stuff all the time.I'm sure we can all share stuff without the scare of someone writing a book with our material.Thanks.Not trying to be a meany.

EGA-GOD........welcome to the forum. I hope you find the forum rewarding as it has been to me. Just a little advice..... humility will go a long way. All the gentlemen that have posted and a few that have not are pretty much the guros on EGA's. Between all of them we are talking about a couple of hundred years of experience and expertise and some collections that will blow you away. No one is out to prove you wrong so don't get defensive, if you have an EGA or photos that will prove the gentlemen wrong, I am sure that they would welcome and appreciate the discussion. My 2 cents, once again welcome to the forum.....Check out the EGA section and some of your questions might be answered.

Semper Fi,

Enrique

shrapneldude

I'm by no means an expert or "advanced collector" of anything, but have heard / read several places now, including more than once before on this forum, of ropes having been added to EGAs.

To me, it doesn't make sense, and doesn't seem very logical at all that a Marine, or much less a Marine's sweetheart, would take an unfould EGA and go pay a jeweler to put ropes onto it.

Was this a common practice? Is it a tool only used by fakers? Do any of the expert gurus have documentation or period photos of people having done this?

I'm by no means an expert or "advanced collector" of anything, but have heard / read several places now, including more than once before on this forum, of ropes having been added to EGAs.

To me, it doesn't make sense, and doesn't seem very logical at all that a Marine, or much less a Marine's sweetheart, would take an unfould EGA and go pay a jeweler to put ropes onto it.

Was this a common practice? Is it a tool only used by fakers? Do any of the expert gurus have documentation or period photos of people having done this?

Dan,

Forum member EGA-GOD added just such a photo of the officer in dress blues. It was an uncommon practice to add flare, just like trenching the wings or stippling the globe. Most chains that I have seen added are probably not done by a jeweler as it requires just a glob of solder to get the job done.

EGA-GOD, the burden of proof is on you my friend! By the way, judging from your posts, I think we have had conversations before on E-bay. They went the same way, very hard to tell you anything. The FORUM doesnt know everything, and it can be told things with acceptance, but the piece you show, is pretty well known for being a sweetheart piece. New stuff and contradictions do pop up all the time. I am always preaching that EGAs dont follow the regs and rules all the time. Digging down to use old man Bolognese as a reference though? That's kinda digging. Most people dont know who he was or who his ancestors were. He had a bunch of junk in his uniform shop that most Marines that went through Quantico are familiar with. He had the stories too. I think he had my poncho, a canteen, some MRE wrappers, and a gallon of my sweat and blood I left out in one of training areas during OCS and TBS!

Welcome to the forum, we are looking forward to more deep discussions into this wonderful world of EGA collecting!

Maj M

teufelhunde.ret
To me, it doesn't make sense, and doesn't seem very logical at all that a Marine, or much less a Marine's sweetheart, would take an unfould EGA and go pay a jeweler to put ropes onto it. Was this a common practice? Is it a tool only used by fakers? Do any of the expert gurus have documentation or period photos of people having done this?

Hi Dan - the practice of "up-fitting" older emblems with the rope post after 1962 was not all that uncommon. I saw it on occasion in that era. Another reason for this was tradition, as many of us received our fathers or brothers or cousins emblems upon entering the Corps... its about the tradition :thumbsup:

As Mike aptly points out the outfitters along the streets of Quantico Town had a captive audience and their hands in your pockets so in that era, it was really not all that expensive to have a silversmith add the ropes. The ones pictures on 2ndLt Terry Graves (MoH recipient pictured above) may have been his fathers (Les) or another family member... it only makes sense. We had another pair similar in nature with ropes added, posted here a few weeks ago -

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=62094

s/f Darrell

post_5081_1261334883.jpg

FYI- Here is the Rhinestone edition of the H&H Sterling Sweetheart with applied wire which I mentioned above.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

SH_H_H_1_PB_Rhinestones_OBV.JPG

SH_H_H_1_PB_Rhinestones_Rev.JPG

EGA-God...

First welcome to the forum. As has been stated by others, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'd like to say as well, that humility will go a long way. We've all studied EGAs a long time, check the actual reference section and you will see not only premier emblems, but also photographic proof and the research to back up most of the common beliefs.

I've been to the Raleigh Show in the past, probably have bought from your father, as well. I also know how that show can get...cut throat. USMC collectors are often compared to Third Reich collectors as 'the SS collectors of US Militaria'. For the most part, we've been able to keep this place friendly, civil, and enjoyable. You seem more like you're confronting someone who claims he knows more, not having a healthy discussion. Probably from dealing with the darker side collectors, I suggest you kick your feet up, crack open a beer and relish the fact you're part of a venue where you don't have to pull your hair out.

As stated, the forum doesn't know everything. But we are willing to learn and accept things when presented with enough evidence. I have emblems in my own collection I won't even place in the case, as I order them chronologically and we haven't agreed on an actual era due to lack of photographic documentation.

Welcome aboard, I look forward to seeing your collection examples, and the first round's on me

Last night I was reading a long thread about H&H sweetheart EGAs almost identical to this one and today on the way home from work I found this in a little junk shop, that usually has nothing. It's not a big deal but I like it.

Is there a thread about hitting the lottery that I can read tonight?

Dennis

post-2843-1263256230.jpg

Nice one! You can see the addition of the anchor chain with the solder and abrubt end to the chain. Thanks for posting and congrats on your nice little score!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...