Sherman in Combat...

Jim Baker

A rather current photo of a long ago destroyed Sherman, a Sherman of the 1st Marine Tank Battalion, 1st Marine Division Peleliu.

A great photo patches, but an incorrect identification. The USMC never operated the late production, composite hull M4 as shown in the photo. It actually belonged to the Army's 710th Tank Battalion, which initially landed in support of the 81st Infantry Division. Here's some detailed info on this particular tank: http://www.pacificwrecks.com/tank/sherman/peleliu.html

A great photo patches, but an incorrect identification. The USMC never operated the late production, composite hull M4 as shown in the photo. It actually belonged to the Army's 710th Tank Battalion, which initially landed in support of the 81st Infantry Division. Here's some detailed info on this particular tank: http://www.pacificwrecks.com/tank/sherman/peleliu.html

Pacific Wrecks that's quite a site, thank's for sharing this, the caption I found with the foto was obviously wrong then. Yes it's a little known fact that the Army was also on Peleliu, and also seen hard combat.

"Classy Peg" was with 716th Tank Bn. I own a uniform to a Sherman driver in that Bn, but I believe this vehicle was is a different company. The decals for this tank used to be included in the old Tamiya M4A3 kit of the early 1990's.

Another shot of "Classy Peg" for you.

post-78-0-15113200-1395596074.jpg

Wow I was unaware the British used the Sherman over in India and Burma, thought they only used Grants/Lees and Stuarts the whole time out there.

Here's two Shermans of the Indian Army in Burma.

Probyn's Horse (5th King Edward VII's Own Lancers) 255th Indian Armored Brigade 1945

post-34986-0-23270500-1395623985.jpg

9th Royal Deccan Horse 1944, the 9th Royal Deccan Horse was also a part of the 255th Indian Armored Brigade

post-34986-0-55245300-1395623999.jpg

Wow I was unaware the British used the Sherman over in India and Burma, thought they only used Grants/Lees and Stuarts the whole time out there.

Here's two Shermans of the Indian Army in Burma.

Probyn's Horse (5th King Edward VII's Own Lancers) 255th Indian Armored Brigade 1945

attachicon.gif29294.jpg

9th Royal Deccan Horse 1944, the 9th Royal Deccan Horse was also a part of the 255th Indian Armored Brigade

attachicon.gif74694.jpg

Check out the Imperial War Museum site. LOTS of great photos there from this theater.

Thanks for the second picture of Classy Peg! I believe she is a C Company Vehicle -hence the C Name.

A rather current photo of a long ago destroyed Sherman, a Sherman of the 1st Marine Tank Battalion, 1st Marine Division Peleliu.

attachicon.gif1st Tk Bn.jpg

This tank is actually from Co A 710th Tank Bn, US Army. The Army did have quite a few units in action on Peleiu.

More info about the crew of this tank and fate:

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/tank/sherman/peleliu.html

Wanted to add this picture of a Sherman from Co A 754th Tank Bn on Bougainville - a pretty famous photo seen often. I have the fortune of being good friends with a Silver Star recipient from 754th during this campaign. I asked him about Lucky Legs - which I assumed was a sex reference. Not at all, this crew had thrown 4 tracks in two days and named the tank this to kill the bad luck - it worked!

bougainville.jpg

@ Baron, why Lucky Legs II? That's what is at the end right, a Roman numeral 2, was there a Lucky Legs before this, and this is their second mount?