First Aid Kit 9-221-200 unissued with all original contents.

rambob

I bought this vehicular WWII 9-221-200 first aid kit, gem at the Max show in Pittsburgh many years ago. The oustide of the kit is a bit rough, but the inside contents are all original, unissued and by the same maker. Take a look a the content list and compare the list to all of the stock numbers on the boxes and even the safety pins. They all match!! You go up to EBay and some other sites and look for a kit like this and they claim all original contents, but they turn out to be a hodge podge inside. Notice this kit still even has the corrugated cardboard on the inside to cushion the contents. It really is a little time capsule that wasn't messed around with. I don't know how many of these kits survived complete like this.

Bob

post-299-1273370905.jpg

craig_pickrall

Bob that really is an exceptional FA kit. I don't recall ever seeing one so correct and complete.

The last box with the TOURNIQUET, SCISSORS AND FORCEPS KIT is of interest too. I don't recall ever seeing a box like this. Are the items available to be photographed or are they sealed in foil?

Craig, The boxes contents are not sealed in foil and I will try to photgraph the contents for you.

Bob

craig_pickrall

Thank you for the extra detail photos. In the last photo is the TOURNIQUET the type that has a metal buckle? I have that style SCISSOR in other kits and is what I was expecting to see. The FORCEPS is the main thing I was curious about. I wasn't expecting to see tweezers but wondered what sort of forceps would fit in such a small box. Now I know another name for tweezers is forcep.

Thanks!!

Craig, the Tourniquet is purely a piece of black, rubber stripping, with no buckle. It looks like it was designed to be wrapped around the limb and tied in a knot. Then I guess it could be tightened with a stick or something by twisting.

Bob

ww2reproductions

Fantastic find

I am working on an article to be able to identify all the Kit, First-Aid, Motor Vehicle, (12 Unit) and their contents.

Love the addition photos of the contents. Is there any chance of photos of the back and sides of the boxes.

Many thanks Leo

p.s. if you are thinkong of selling the kit I am interested :):rolleyes:

That is a kit from the Korean War era. Post WW2. The rubber Tourniquet is standard for that era. They are very long and I think all you have to do is tightly wrap it continously around itself snugly and it will remain in place....

The sound you hear is my bubble being burst. Survival is correct according to my reference books as far as the kit being post 1947, but the jury is still out if all the way to the Korean war. In 1947, the 7 digit stock number format with two dashes was standardized for the armed forces. A 5 digit stock number on the components would date them to 1944 or before and 7 digits without the dashes would date them between 1944 and 1947. Notice the color of the tourniquet box is different from the rest, so I wonder if that componenet was upgraded later for Korea, by the same kit maker.

Even with that being said, I still think it's a kick butt, complete kit.

Bob

Actually I think this is Korean War era well into the 1950s. When they initially changed over to this stock number the initial kits appeared to be depot reworks of WW2 kits. The stenciling is a little rough and the instruction sheet under the cover is actually a copy of a type written sheet not a printed sheet like this example. The stencil is one color and lacks the caudicus and cross. Contents are usually a mix of different companies. Another version of what I believe is an earlier kit has a stencil similar to your kit but a single color. I believe they used your kit well into the 1950s when it was replaced by the aluminum kits with the eleven digit stock number prior to Vietnam. Green and Halperin Companies seemed to be the only two Companies that assembled these Korean War era kits that I'm aware of. Some of the components in the boxes do have WW2 stock numbers but thats pretty common. I have no proof or documentation to support my thoughts on this though. Just collecting experience. You are correct that the kit can't be much improved upon.

ww2reproductions

Thank you for the great photos....You are the Man!

Is there any markings on the side of the boxes?

I will be busy doing some reproductions of this post war set and this will also form part of a big article I am working on about 12 unit kits..Opp's Kit, First-Aid, Motor Vehicle, 12 unit !

Leo

Leo, I posted a photo of the sides, along with the backs and bottoms. You may have jumped past it. Take a look again. Here is a better view of the tops. The other one was a little small.

Bob

post-299-1274099867.jpg

• 12 years later...
On 5/12/2010 at 2:41 AM, ww2reproductions said:

"I am working on an article to be able to identify all the Kit, First-Aid, Motor Vehicle, (12 Unit) and their contents". Many thanks Leo

Leo, Since I am searching for more information on the 12 Unit First Aid Kits, Korean War era stock number 9-221-200 (1947-1953) and the  post-Korean War thru Vietnam era stock number 6545-922-1200 kits in the metal cases (1954-1968), how can I access and read this article?