Schottzie's finds

CNY Militaria

It is from the 159th.

Thanks,

Justin

Very nice! Here is a brief history of the 159th IVI. It is found at http://www.spanamwar.com/159Ind.htm

The 159th Indiana Volunteer Infantry was formed from the 1st Regiment, Indiana National Guard. The redesignated unit was mustered for service at Camp Mount in Indianapolis on April 28, 1898. The unit was mustered into the federal service on May 12, 1898. When mustered in, the 159th consisted of fifty officers and 976 enlisted men.

On May 15, the 159th (in conjunction with many of the other Indiana units) was ordered to Camp Thomas, Georgia. This camp was located on the former Civil War battlefield of Chickamuaga. The unit stayed at Camp Thomas for only a brief time, being ordered to Port Tampa, Florida, on June 1. The 159th arrived at Port Tampa on June 3.

Though the unit was close to the embarkation point where troops were being loaded for service in Cuba, at Port Tampa the unit's advance came to a halt. The 159th would remain in Port Tampa until August 30, when the was ordered back to Camp Mount at Indianapolis. An armistice had been agreed to on August 12, effectively ending the war's fighting.

The unit was given a month's furlough, from September 10 to October 10, 1898. On November 4, the unit was mustered out of service. At this time, the unit consisted of fifty officers and 1,223 enlisted men. The war would not officially end, however, until December 10, 1898 with the signing of the Treaty of Paris.

During its term of service, the 159th Indiana Volunteer Infantry lost ten enlisted men to disiease and had three enlisted men desert. Additionally, eighteen men were discharged for reasons of disability.

• 1 month later...
CNY Militaria

Just got back from the first public day of SOS. I met Gil Sanow, Andrewt, Allan H, Navyair-WW2, and a few others as well! I noticed a LOT of German militaria at the show, to the point where it was frustrating (Seemed like there were at least 2 dozen German General uniforms...). Prices were high overall, some deals to be had, but nothing "spectacular" that I heard of while I was there. I also noticed many items from last year that never sold, or items previously sold on ebay with the prices marked way up. I did see a lot of people buying WWII uniforms, whioch I found to be interesting. I also noticed many USMC related items, mostly EGA's, Uniforms and Visors. I saw several DSC groups, as well as many great uniforms (some very nice, original, and high priced, and many more were clearly put-together, claimed to be original, and high priced!) I did find people very willing to deal there as opposed to last year where they would knock only a little off the prices, this year dealers were overall pretty liberal in their pricing. I bought a lot as usual, I will go through once more tomorrow in the main hall, and then venture to the gun show next door to see what I can find there.

Highlights of what I personally bought (still researching many names)-

-Theater made CBI LTC Bush Jacket with all theatermade, direct embroidered insignia.

-Tank Destroyer Ike and unit photo from the 807th TD Bn, named to Fook N. Woo, a Chinese-American. He is shown in the unit photo.

-USPHS Captain's uniform named to John E. Manire, an enlisted army soldier in WWII and Bronze Star recipient, still looking for more info on his USPHS career.

-CBI Signal Corps uniform with near mint Bullion patch.

-Seventh Army infantry ike jacket with Bullion patch.

-5th ID Combat infantryman ike with theater made patch.

-Second Army Engineer Major's uniorm with sewn ribbons and a BSM with V device- Fred E. Sorady

-Fatigue Shirt from BG Porter of the 87th ID.

-23rd ID Vietnam uniform and cap with theater-made ribbon bar (I had to...it was on a $5 table!)

-Named WIA PH/GCM Group to Harold W. Loyal. Includes #'d PH- #135360. Named GCM, Ribbon bar with many stars and an invasion arrowhead, and several civilian medals and pins.

-Several MP/UP Brassards

-6 Signed General Officer portrait photos

Hoping for more tomorrow...we will see!

i_055.jpg

i_056.jpg

i_057.jpg

CNY Militaria

I wasn't really looking last year, but I noticed a lot this year. If I were to guess, I would say I took note of about 50 named PH's,and I am sure there were more.

Good stuff, I couldn't go ths year.

I see a year book type book there, I have a uniform with DI's of that unit. Does it have photo's and names?

BKW

CNY Militaria
Good stuff, I couldn't go ths year.

I see a year book type book there, I have a uniform with DI's of that unit. Does it have photo's and names?

BKW

The yearbook is for the Ordnance Replacement Trainign Center from 1952, it does have names, photos, etc on there. When is your uniform from? Is it named?

CNY Militaria
any money left for tomorrow? leave some for everyone else :lol:

Don't worry, the others and I already bought the good stuff! Anything else lest will be at the gun show, haha!

The yearbook is for the Ordnance Replacement Trainign Center from 1952, it does have names, photos, etc on there. When is your uniform from? Is it named?

Yes, but it is from WW II,

Thanks for the reply,

BKW