The Soochow Creek Medal - 1932 & 1937

bobgee

Here is the Soochow Creek miniature that belonged to Brig. General Clayton O. Totman. I guess he had it made to wear at Veterans social gatherings. The red, white and blue ribbon seems to be from a British 1914-1915 Star medal.

post-9487-1315512955.jpg

• 1 month later...

That medal would be fun to have in any collection. If one of us got it, I would like to hear more about it.

I've got to start paying more attention to Ebay. :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Dooley made it to China at the very tail end of 1932. But he also had previous service with the 4th Marines from 1929 to early 1931.

post-10651-1332546273.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
This one sold last weekend at the Napredak show in San Jose.

VERY interesting "local" engraving! Thx for posting!

Here's another example of rather crude naming on a 1932 example with a gilt finish. Because the gilt is in the engraving grooves it appears that this finish was applied after the medal was named. "R. K. Ford" was Pvt. Richard K. Ford of Company F (and later HQ Co.), 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines.

post-10651-1332617552.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great thread!

My great grandfather was Captain of the USS Cuyama in '37. I just finished reading a book called "An American in China" a great read. It's awesome to see all these medals for this period. Thanks a million for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw 3 shortly before I deployed, saved the photos but my PC crashed during my deployment and I lost the images.

Plenty of repros on there though :thumbdown:

• 4 weeks later...

Did everyone notice all his other medals being sold in separate auctions including his 2nd Nic and GCM? Looks like a nice group being split to the high winds. Unless someone is willing to pay more than retail, this group will be lost to history.

The certificate is nice. I have no reason to think the Soochow is fake either,

His officer's commission just got listed too.

Kurt

I'm more familiar with the bronze finish pieces, I'd normally say I'd like to see a better shot of the honey pot lid, head, and 'C' in Shanghai...but the provenance with this piece seems enough to give it a :thumbsup:

teufelhunde.ret
Did everyone notice all his other medals being sold in separate auctions including his 2nd Nic and GCM? Looks like a nice group being split to the high winds. Unless someone is willing to pay more than retail, this group will be lost to history.

Hopefully, one of our medal collectors will preserve?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/toppet/m.html?hash...sid=p4340.l2562

breakup.jpg