The Soochow Creek Medal - 1932 & 1937

bobgee

No, mine was a safety bid hoping others would pass on it.

you got me on that pair of EGAs last month, I got you on this. the balance is there :lol: Didn't think you were the medal type?

teufelhunde.ret
you got me on that pair of EGAs last month, I got you on this. the balance is there :lol: Didn't think you were the medal type?

... bargain hunting ;)

here it is...much nicer than the auction made it seem. The ribbon is tattered and hanging by threads, but appears to be muli-construction (stripe sewn on). Very nice piece, I'm thrilled to add it to the collection

Soochow_Creek_Front.JPG

Soochow_Creek_Front_Closeup.JPG

That’s a really nice medal Brig. Congratulations! I suppose that you already know why the yellow and brown colors were picked for the ribbon, but for anyone else reading this that doesn’t, they symbolized the colors of Soochow Creek. When I see one of these medals I’m always surprised that any still exist. The memories that go with the medal would be haunting. The Marines standing guard at any of the Soochow Creek posts had to watch Chinese bodies floating in the creek. There were so many that the River Police had given up retrieving them. I have in my collection a 1937 newspaper article where this was front page news. Anyway, neat addition to your collection. Best wishes, Jim

Nice piece Tim! I agree.....much better than the auction pictured it. Ribbon is rare - preserve it!

Semper Fi......Bob

thanks guys, I'm extremely happy with it. one of those expensive purchases that you never think twice about after. now to hunt down the varients ;)

• 2 weeks later...

were these all C hooks? this one is roll and the gilt finished ones tend to throw off the originality judgement call it is named, though...

_BVrBE__CGk___KGrHgoOKjkEjlLm_yt_BKTq92W5i____12.jpg

_BVrBF9__mk___KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmY4pPBKTq98JEJg___12.jpg

never got a response and took a gamble, won this one, too... the J G Moore in the records for the 1932 timeframe was a 1stSgt... what do you guys think? legit? the roll clasp throws me off...

_BVrBE__CGk___KGrHgoOKjkEjlLm_yt_BKTq92W5i____12.jpg

_BVrBF9__mk___KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmY4pPBKTq98JEJg___12.jpg

_BVrBFmw_Wk___KGrHgoOKjMEjlLmRfcUBKTq95uggQ___12.jpg

_BVrBGq__2k___KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmYLs0BKTq__DhpQ___12.jpg

I took the gamble because from the pics, the planchet looks much like my '37, not the smooth worn versions of the repops that show on eBay. the ribbon looks pretty good, and the engraving looks much like the scratchy engravings shown on models depicted here. just the roll clasp throws me off a bit. was surprised it went as low as it did

usmcaviator

Brig,

Was that J.G. Moore ever in China? I looked briefly and thought he never served in China. I figured it for a Navy issue. I think the engraving looks fine, but then again, I am in no way a medal guru.

S/F,

Mike

couldn't see, I need to update my card to maintain my subscription...luckily there's a 7 day inspection period

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

here's one in a group that sold on eBay, top bar states US Marines 1937 version. It was originally seperated, all parts, but a few messages and, though I lowered my bid last minute and lost, at least the group stayed together.

_BYQjehQB2k___KGrHgoOKj8EjlLmWyi9BKgjO_JIgQ___12.jpg

• 4 months later...

Dirk, wonderful addition. A simple glance at the crisp border hashes and the not bloated Chinese man sure look good. The ribbon appears to be in great shape, and the top bar is a plus. I think the price you paid was fair for those factors. We both know how high collectors are willing to go for these non-regulation medals. Congrats on a great example of China Marine history, it found a great owner

Me and Darrell recently discussed mine when he got the opportunity to examine it in person, and we came up with the theory that by its construction, it may have come from a coin maker. Any thoughts?

Brig: Thanks for your kind words.....it does seem to have all the bells and whistles (Marine brooch...named etc).....As I told you, I went to our Medal oracle for advice prior ;) ....I do note the rim is very similar to yours up through the hook that the ribbon wraps around....also noted the one sided cross hatched ribbon...I sent some scans to Bob. But have not mastered the close up photography like you have. I really don't have the expertise to know who made it a part from the OMSA guide.....I am sure Wolfe or one of his friends must have known a business that could roll these out.....I think the answer will some day be found either in Walla Walla or some archives.....The main building of the National Archives still has a vast amount of China Marine records that have not been touched.... I think there must have been enough little jewelery shops that were glad to produce these.

teufelhunde.ret

Dirk, its great to see it arrived safely! Next time I bid against you, I'll bring a gun not a pea shooter - you squashed my bid like road kill! :console: ... its all good! A wonderful example of the type 3 medal and so well preserved... worth every cent as I expect it would be very difficult to improve on this one... and a perfect example to use on your website. Dirk I think the clue to the maker may be the regular advertisements in the regimental newspaper by "Tuck Chang" their ad's where "Marine, get your jewelry and medals where they are made right"

Congrat's! s/f Darrell

Thanks Darrell! At some point I'll add it to the web site. Once I figure out how to display the artifacts page. Tuck Chang may be as good as anyone for the maker....but I would love to see something recorded in Club records or another source that might nail it down definitively.

• 4 months later...

Just added this one. Other than slight different metal patina, different strikes, it's practically identical to my other one. Perfect ticks on the edges, the cart and man match up, the 'C' looking 'G' in Shaghei. no pin, but the inner folds of the ribbon even match my other one. I feel 100% confident on this one

July_12_2009_044.jpg

July_12_2009_048.jpg