The Soochow Creek Medal - 1932 & 1937

bobgee

• 2 months later...

Here's one I recently acquired named to a sailor who left the Navy with a bad conduct discharge in 1937!

I like the look and age of the engraving, but the detail on the medal is not crisp.

IMG_9238.PNG

IMG_9237.PNG

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Welcoming a engraved Type V to the family as part of a much larger Shanghai centric grouping to include his numbered and confirmed China Service Medal.....but found this interesting shot in his album as well: a armed Marine in uniform along the Soochow wearing what appears to be his Soochow Creek medal.

IMG_6923.jpg

IMG_6940.JPG

• 3 months later...

A ratty 32....Dicks 32 example shown earlier is a much cleaner then this strike....this is more

similar to the first 32 shown....

5E766EFC8B79464DB9A2F472B0D3D158.png

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Dirk said:

Kevin a fellow collector knew I wanted one and picked it up last year and held it for me. He has an impressive collection of them as well 

Well you did very well my friend, couldn’t end up in a better place. That finish is fantastic!

• 8 months later...

Hi there, an interloper from the UK here. A friend of mine has been sorting through some family memorabilia and contacted me to say he had found a medal awarded to his late fathers uncle for ‘bravery and valour’ during his time in Shanghai with the Royal Welch Fusiliers, my old regiment. Interested to find out exactly what medal it was I asked him for some photos and he subsequently sent those attached. A little bit of research brought me to this site. As there seems to be more knowledge about the medal here than anywhere else, I’d love to know how it came into his great uncles possession. I know that a contingent of Royal Welch Fusiliers were sent to reinforce the IS Marines at the Creek so I’m wondering if it might have been a friendly exchange amongst brothers in arms? Alternatively, would they have been freely available at the shop in Shanghai where they were made or were they made exclusively for the US Marines? Thanks in anticipation for any information. 

IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_0002.jpeg

10 hours ago, Mark Tee Jay said:

Hi there, an interloper from the UK here. A friend of mine has been sorting through some family memorabilia and contacted me to say he had found a medal awarded to his late fathers uncle for ‘bravery and valour’ during his time in Shanghai with the Royal Welch Fusiliers, my old regiment. Interested to find out exactly what medal it was I asked him for some photos and he subsequently sent those attached. A little bit of research brought me to this site. As there seems to be more knowledge about the medal here than anywhere else, I’d love to know how it came into his great uncles possession. I know that a contingent of Royal Welch Fusiliers were sent to reinforce the IS Marines at the Creek so I’m wondering if it might have been a friendly exchange amongst brothers in arms? Alternatively, would they have been freely available at the shop in Shanghai where they were made or were they made exclusively for the US Marines? Thanks in anticipation for any information. 

IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_0002.jpeg

Certainly an original medal. Quite interesting to find one named to a soldier "across the pond". I'll let @Dirk chime in, as he has lapped me as our resident expert on these.