509th Radio Research Grrroup

robinb

Picked this grouping up today from the Vet. He was in the 509th Radio Research Group. I like the beer can DI and how the word GRRROUP is spelled. There is a tiger depicted next to the Viet Nam image. Not what I collect, but I thought it was neat.

MVC_042S.JPG

MVC_043S.JPG

Nice group Robin.

I know the RR groups are not well know.We had a local guy that was with one.Wouldnt say what he really did.I do know he saw some combat and commented on loosing some teeth on an operation.(I dont think it was in a bar either :lol: )

RD

This is a nice little grouping. The pocket hanger version of the beercan DI was sold on eBay a couple weeks ago.

This guy wouldn't tell me what he did either. He thought long and hard for a way to put it without giving anything away. He just said they listened to radio traffic, both ours and thiers.

316th FS 324th FG
This guy wouldn't tell me what he did either. He thought long and hard for a way to put it without giving anything away. He just said they listened to radio traffic, both ours and thiers.

Nice Pick up Robin. His description is right on. We took the oral history of one RR vet, abotu 2 hours on tape, and while there is a lot there, at its core what they did was listen to, and translate, intel over the airwaves.

If you ever want to part with this grouping, let me know thumbsup.gif

Nice group

D

Radio Research was a misnomer for Army Security Agency. They had a nickname of "Buddy- F----ers because one of their jobs was to listen in on Allied Communications and report security violations.

When I took my R&R to Bangkok in 1968, I went to the embassy to try to call my brother who was stationed at Udorn AFB. I managed to get all the way to the base operator who asked what unit my brother was assigned to. When I replied that I didn't know, but he was Army and in the ASA, the phone went dead. I attempted to call several more times without success.

That night I was visited at my hotel by two MI Agents, who asked me if I was the one who violated National Security on the phone from the Embassy that afternoon.

It seems that whenever someone was assigned outside of the U.S. and West Germany it was classified that they were ASA. They threatened my security clearance.

I laughed at them and produced a news clipping from my hometown rag stating that my brother had completed his ASA training and was going to be assigned to Thailand.

I begged them to revoke my clearance because my assignments were classified "TOP SECRET" and I wouldn't be able to go on missions without a clearance. thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...
III Corp Mechondo 16

F50LRRP has it right. The agency personell were NEVER there. Radio Research was a cover for the units stationed in areas of concern. As you are aware spying on the enemy is against the Geneva convention. A little researchwill let you know that th e govenment is finally acknowleging the existence of these units and the role they played. On a side note the first and last soldiers killed in Nam were RR.

Much history is becoming available at the National Security Agency website.

Said enough for now. ASA 71-74