Grouping to Pvt 321st Glider Field Artillery

Baker502

Here is a grouping I picked up in January, it was the one that connected both my collecting fields, 101st Abn. and WW1 USAS. The 101st troopers father in law was in the 24th Aero squadron.

Here is the 321st grouping, and photo's of the man during the war. He participated in all the campaigns of the 101st. He came in by boat to Utah Beach June 6th 1944, by glider into Holland on Sept. 18th 1944, and by truck to Bastogne Dec. 1944. he served in a forward observation team. The grouping consists of his Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals which are not named, the Good Conduct is named. English made 101st patch, ribbon bar, Bronze Star citation, original discharge and original 321st unit history.

post-512-1238365166.jpg

Here he is in Bastogne going up on the line..he is on the front right

post-512-1238365411.jpg

B Battery somewhere in Holland

post-512-1238365455.jpg

Photo's courtesy of Jay Stone B/321st

Kurt Barickman

Paul,

Very nice as always, thumbsup.gif have you told Gary D. that you have recently picked up a nice documented 321st group?

Kurt Barickman

Thanks Kurt,

Thought a grouping with some significance would get more than one comment. I must be on the "Shunned List" of people who post. I see what Bank Vault meant by being under appreciated, I don't even know why I bother to post anything. I guess its all just over rated Airborne stuff. Sorry to bore all you high speed advanced collectors with this trival bit of history..Paul

Thanks Kurt,

Thought a grouping with some significance would get more than one comment. I must be on the "Shunned List" of people who post. I see what Bank Vault meant by being under appreciated, I don't even know why I bother to post anything. I guess its all just over rated Airborne stuff. Sorry to bore all you high speed advanced collectors with this trival bit of history..Paul

Highly overrated! :)

Paul you know where you can send this GREAT Grouping anytime.

Very Nice!

Jake Powers

Paul,

I think it's your avatar freaking people out, how could some ugly hippy brothers be hanging out with Katy Holmes....

..... We eatin' German Friday ??

Jumpin Jack

Paul, I find your reaction to what you percieve to a lack of interest to be rather petulent. I, for one, had every intent to respond to your most interesting posting, but needed a bit of time to do a bit of homework regarding Warrant Officer Flight Officers. I have two glider pilot groupings (named), and would dearly love to post photos, but simply don't know how. Please don't confuse my ignornance with a lack of interest. In addition to the groupings, I have a rather large collection of glider-related material (characteristics, etc., photos, etc.)

I would like to respond to the question of FO wearing commissioned officer insignia. There appeared to be three conditions that existed regarding the commissioning sleeve strip (a) no sleeve stripe at all (B) prescribed black stripe for Warrant Officers and © olive brown commissioning stripe. The latter was prescribed by regulations for all Warrant Officers who previously served honorably as a commissioned officer during WWI. I still have a bit of searching to do, but my memory cells tell me that at some point in time during WWII, Warrant Officers fell into two categories--commissioned (thus having the right to wear the commissioning stipes) and non-commissioned (no sleeve stripes.)

Jack Angolia

Kurt Barickman

Paul,

I know exactly what you mean, look at my Iwo Jima flag raiser grouping, 600 and some hits???? think.gif

Kurt

Thanks Kurt,

Hey, don't be distressed, I think it's an awesome grouping! I just saw this today and I'm very impressed and would be proud if it were in my collection. Thanks for posting a very nice and photographically provenanced grouping!!!! By the way, what does a "high speed advanced collector" look like, I want to avoid them, they sound like a disease. :lol:

Very nice grouping! Don't take the lack of comments as a insult....think of it as they are to stunned to figure out what to say... w00t.gif

P.S. I know of a nice shelf I could dust off that those items would fit just right on.

Troy

Thanks for the replies. It gets frustrating that some post get a million responses and others get one or two. Paul

See Paul, it's like this, you aren't showing the forum another variation of late Vietnam War webgear. If you were, it would recieve at least 20 posts and 1000 views. But, you chose to show something of true historical significance. w00t.gif

Paul,

Thats a fine group.The 101st patch alone is a screamer let alone the the pic from Bastogne.I dont think pics like this are fully appreciated.To say the least that in the conditions the men endured and having time to snap a random and candid shot and to have the film survive to have a print made....is short of a small miricle. thumbsup.gif

RD

Paul: I think it's very cool. I sort of understand tho. I posted what I thought was a nice historical grouping on Colonel LaGarde, one of the pioneers of the medical field, which I'd researched for months. I got some nice feedback but nowhere near the responses I thought I would. Nevertheless, I am in the process of working up another posting on a Sailor who went down with his ship in a hurricane in 1944.

Your soldier was a gliderman, but landed at Utah by boat? I guess I'm not up on the history enough but I thought that was kinda different.

One last thing, there are groups and things posted on here that I don't comment on, because quite frankly they are so far out of my puny league that commenting (other than a gaping mouth icon which I don't have) seems rather redundant. Perhaps that's the way it is with some folks regarding these groups. It sure doesn't mean that I, for one, don't appreciate them.

Brian Dentino

Paul, a very sweet grouping to be sure! Dont take lack of comments as a sign of disinterest/appreciation...not the case at all. Again, a super grouping many would love to have in their own collection.

Jason, correct. There were quite a few glider riders who instead became ship riders for several reasons. The main one is that there were not enouogh gliders, or it was easier to land the engineer units and their equipment without taking up valuable glider space. Just like in Sicily, the glidermen of the 82nd landed by ship and not glider because of lack of tow planes. (The US Navy shot down too many! crying.gif )

pathfinder505
Paul, a very sweet grouping to be sure! Dont take lack of comments as a sign of disinterest/appreciation...not the case at all. Again, a super grouping many would love to have in their own collection.

Jason, correct. There were quite a few glider riders who instead became ship riders for several reasons. The main one is that there were not enouogh gliders, or it was easier to land the engineer units and their equipment without taking up valuable glider space. Just like in Sicily, the glidermen of the 82nd landed by ship and not glider because of lack of tow planes. (The US Navy shot down too many! crying.gif )

Actually part of the 321st was on the ship Susan B. Anthony and it hit a mine and they were picked up by numerous ships and scattered all over the beach.

Paul,

I think it's your avatar freaking people out, how could some ugly hippy brothers be hanging out with Katy Holmes....

..... We eatin' German Friday ??

Good call Bob seeing that Katie in the photo is quite a dish!

Kyle

currahee506
Thanks for the replies. It gets frustrating that some post get a million responses and others get one or two. Paul

Nice grouping Paul.

How about the vintage clothing item you found made out of the controversial 'squiggly eyes' 101st AB patches?

Rich

• 3 weeks later...