51st Co Marine

Cpl. Punishment

Cpl. Punishment

Hello all,

I am not a WWI Marine collector, or even a dogtag collector either. I came across a 3 generation family grouping that I am getting directly from the WWI veteran’s grandson (a vietnam vet himself). 

In the group of items is a set of WWI Marine dogtags to a man who was 51st and 43rd Co Marines arriving in France in September 1918. I cannot pinpoint who he saw combat with as he shifts between multiple casual co’s. 

Any idea of the value of his dogtags? Also included is his American Legion items and his good conduct medal certificate.

thanks!

Cpl. Punishment

I will post some pictures as soon as I have it in hand.

thanks again!

Cpl. Punishment

this is an awful photo, but I do have these, good conduct letter, service certificate in the mailing tube, and some VA paperwork from the 1930’s. 
IMG_6554.jpeg.36b9a3ecfa26452e5a00959313e7c0f6.jpeg

It appears that he saw action during St. Mihel and Muse Argonne Campaigns so even though the tag look a little beat up it does show honest wear for a combat veteran. Although he was a Private not including the documents the tags should sell for $175 to $200 for the set, possibly more.

Can you post a photo of the Good Conduct Medal Certificate?

Thanks

Bill

Cpl. Punishment

I’ll post some photos tomorrow! This is him, but I think from after the war. I know he spent a long time in the hospital for influenza.IMG_6542.png.ae148b1d437d3cbc4e3cff139e240845.png

Great set of tags! Having nailed his wartime service as well as a photo in uniform, really strengthens the price! Kim

Cpl. Punishment

The weird thing is, he bounces around units constantly. He is generally listed in hospitals and then at one point, he seems to get lost and nobody knows what unit he’s supposed to be with. I think his combat time was in October. I’ll post screenshots of the rosters.

Bruce Linz

Very nice WWI Marine Corps group. The July 1919 Muster Roll titled Addenda Roll, AEF should help explain where this Marine was for most overseas service.  Appears he was sick with influenza and moved from hospital to hospital.  The Marine Corps probably lost contact with him briefly as these hospital were not under Marine Corps control.

I would be very interested in seeing a photo of his good conduct medal certificate.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Cpl. Punishment

I’ll get some pictures of it all when I get home. From what I could tell in the rosters, I think he was in Combat in October 1918 rather than a hospital. 

Cpl. Punishment

I believe in the October roll, it says he transferred to a casual company in February 1919. He would have been with the 51st Co. through October.