M2 Ammo in Crate 1040 Rounds

otter42

So long as you don't see any deterioration in the cartridge, eg oxidation to a concerning degree, it should be fine. 

Whether it will shoot depends on how it was stored over the years.  If it were in too hot of weather the primers may not go off and you will have a lot of dud rounds to deal with.

I have shot ammunition that was older without any issues.

That's pretty cheap for 30-06. If I needed it I'd buy it for that. The can that's sealed so almost certainly good, if the ammo in the bottom of the opened can looks like the round shown your probably good. It's not that old and should be none corrosive. After shooting tens of thousands of surplus rounds I've scrounged at flea markets and the like in very humid and sometimes tropical areas I've never had a problem with post WW2 factory ammo that looked that clean. As already stated just look out for corroded ammo and in my experience it has to be bright green or blue around the neck or primer before you typically have real issues. Sometimes tarnished ammo will miss fire and once in a blue moon you'll find bright brass that's gotten moisture in it and won't work but as I recall by this point US military ammo had sealer around the primers and crimped around the neck. So very hard for moisture to enter. Sometimes people take stuff out or improperly store stuff and it gets wet but dried quickly, at least at the top. So be sure to check the bottom boxes on the opened can. Anyway just my 2 cents worth.

About $0.50 a round is a good price, when I see it for $5-$12 a box (per 20rds) I typically buy it. A lot of 30-06 is going for $1-$2 a round retail right now. Being FMJ milsurp it's going to be at the lower end so probably around a $1 a round give or take a couple of cents. But that's retail and I try not to pay retail for ammo because well, I shoot it haha. It's really what you feel comfortable with when buying. Is the seller asking you to price it for them?

The unopened can has high collector value as it sits. It could bring a nice price from the right buyer. Either way, you got a great deal getting them both for $.50 a round. Congrats.