Found this info:

Social Security Death Index

about Fred W. Brandt

Name: Fred W. Brandt

SSN: 318-09-3760

Last Residence: 60060 Mundelein, Lake, Illinois, United States of America

Born: 26 Aug 1919

Died: 20 Jun 1999

State (Year) SSN issued: Illinois (Before 1951)

This matches the 1930 census record which listed his mother as Pearl S. Brandt. Also, the name on the dogtag.

Thank you pathfinder505! This is one little more item for me to follow up on, my deepest appreciation! thumbsup.gif

101combatvet had asked about the overseas bars on the sleeve. So, here's a couple photo's of these very unique bullion bars.

Captain_Fred_Brandt_82nd_AB_029.jpg

Captain_Fred_Brandt_82nd_AB_030.jpg

Brian Dentino
Found this info:

Social Security Death Index

about Fred W. Brandt

Name: Fred W. Brandt

SSN: 318-09-3760

Last Residence: 60060 Mundelein, Lake, Illinois, United States of America

Born: 26 Aug 1919

Died: 20 Jun 1999

State (Year) SSN issued: Illinois (Before 1951)

This matches the 1930 census record which listed his mother as Pearl S. Brandt. Also, the name on the dogtag.

One other option that may work: try contacting the local library for any information that they may have on him. Also, another useful option would be to request that the library send you his obituary from the time of his death. This would possibly list any surviving members of his family (kids, wife, etc) and maybe even their residence at that time. You could then MAYBE track down one of his relatives and find out a little more going that route. Just a thought....sometimes this works if you can find someone in the family, explain what you have, what you do, and your interest/reason for contacting them. It has worked for me before.

Just trying to throw anything out there that may work for you as I am very interested in what you find out as well! thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...
BigJohn#3RD
It was pretty much a combat Infantry badge... hence the name. Although, I have known a mechanic and a forward observer that was awarded them during WW2.... go figure.

The regulations stated and I am paraphrasing that Officer that are not Infantry Officer are authorized the award of the CIB if the command an infantry or ranger platoon or SF element in combat for the minimum required days (30 days of combat, this was in effect from WWII through Vietnam) or are wounded while serving in that duty if less then 30 days. I would imagine that as a forward observer he may have taken charge of a platoon if its officer was incapacitated.

Strength and Honor

John