Near Complete Jungle First Aid Kits

mach1derful

I found some really good reference photos online. I was never clear on the contents of the jungle first aid kits, so on a whim I started going through my med stuff and small items that I’ve had packed away and a couple loose items online -  and I have a what I think is a pretty nice example of a complete M-2 jungle first aid kit, and most of the contents for the earlier roll up kit (I am missing iodine and foot powder I think and the roll up kit itself which I never owned one). Any critiques? I’m going to try to frame these up in a couple 2” thick riker cases.

6F7B8830-84DF-4D3B-A7B0-5D0A2DCF11F8.jpeg

6090CCBD-F7A4-4EB1-A196-D668B46BA3E2.jpeg

I appreciate you posting the contents of a jungle first aide kit.  I pulled out the one I purchased from an estate sale and based upon the the contents…I’m missing Atabrine & Halazone.  

Are these components available on the market?  Thank you

• 3 months later...

Found this most recent post on the M2 Jungle first aid kits and thought to add one I just received. The case is marked "US" and is inked AVERY 1945 inside. The pocket under the flap has a sewn-in band (to hold bandages?). It appears most of the original contents are still in place... insect repellent, water purification tablets, Frazer's Solution and tall iodine bottle (empty but see no evidence any was ever in the bottle). There is one more partitioned slot which is empty and from the previous posts would likely be the Atabrine bottle. Am thankful to have stumbled onto a fairly complete M2 kit at last!

JFAK 1.JPG

JFAK 2.JPG

JFAK 3.JPG

JFAK 4.JPG

Thanks for the extra snaps of the M2 contents. I do not know when, but likely sometime shortly after WW2 ended, Atabrine was removed from the M2 kits (and other drugs as well). The later kits seem to have been outfitted with extra plastic bottles... likely to hold medicines which might be necessary for servicemen in certain environments (or possibly illness treatment for a individual). This would have been by direction of the unit's medical staff. Found a really good history about malaria, the discovery of quinine and issues which arose during WW2:

https://armyhistory.org/the-other-foe-the-u-s-armys-fight-against-malaria-in-the-pacific-theater-1942-45/

Well worth reading. Also is a link to WW2 Supply, whom make a number of fairly accurate reproductions of items for the M2 Jungle first aid kits:

https://wwiisupply.com/

Some of what you are seeing in these first aid kits are the kit bashed first aid kits like I bought from a surplus store back in the 70's when I was a Boy Scout. Much of what I find at swap meets is 40's issue 50's surplus bought for camping.

The wound tablets in the original post look like they are the training version and not the correct sulfa tablets.  If you look closely you can barely see the red overprint that these are for training.    Also there are plenty of pictures of correct kits on this site.  There are some accurate posts that show the correct contents of both the M-1 and M-2 jungle FA kits.  In addition member Dustin has a topic that shows in detail the different versions of the kits that evolved during the war.  Just have to look a little bit to find them.

Yes, some time ago I used the search engine for this forum and there was quite a bit of excellent info and photos regarding the M2 kits...