WWII Glider Pilot grouping

TBMflyer

Croix de Guerre
Just got this grouping which I have been chasing for 15+ years.

The veteran was Joliet native F.O. Bob McDonough, a glider pilot with the 87th TCS, 438th TCG.

He flew on D-Day, Southern France, Market-Garden and Varsity assaults!

The grouping has the following; Cut down 'Ike' jacket with FO bars, bullion on blue Glider pilot wing, sewn ribbon bar, felt 9th.

The second uniform is his 4-pocket with same set up except for a metal AECo Glider wing.

Also in the group was the 'crusher' style hat with WO insignia, Wrap brooch Air Medal and 2 other campaigns, 2 extra ribbon bars, several photos, khaki o/s hat, British formation marks, bracelet, and a newspaper article about his wartime service.

First up is the Ike

Enjoy, Mark

post-527-1237130310.jpg

post-527-1237130317.jpg

post-527-1237130327.jpg

Man! Ya gotta love those wings! thumbsup.gif

• 5 years later...

Just got this grouping which I have been chasing for 15+ years.

The veteran was Joliet native F.O. Bob McDonough, a glider pilot with the 87th TCS, 438th TCG.

He flew on D-Day, Southern France, Market-Garden and Varsity assaults!

The grouping has the following; Cut down 'Ike' jacket with FO bars, bullion on blue Glider pilot wing, sewn ribbon bar, felt 9th.

The second uniform is his 4-pocket with same set up except for a metal AECo Glider wing.

Also in the group was the 'crusher' style hat with WO insignia, Wrap brooch Air Medal and 2 other campaigns, 2 extra ribbon bars, several photos, khaki o/s hat, British formation marks, bracelet, and a newspaper article about his wartime service.

First up is the Ike

Enjoy, Mark

attachicon.gifMVC_001S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC_002S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC_003S.JPG

Mark,

That is a group well worth waiting for! Thanks for bringing this thread back.

• 1 year later...
RedStateRanger

Very nice Grouping! I recently came across another 9th AAF Glider Pilot Grouping and the uniform has the British Formation Mark, just like the one in your grouping. Do you know what that mark may actually signify or represent?

RSR, I have heard two stories on the formation mark, the first was that it was given out to the USAAF GP's who trained and flew the Horsa's, since the color of the mark is red/blue that makes sense. This vet did fly on D-day in a Horsa. The second is that the formation mark was given out to US GP's who trained at some point with British Commando's on infantry tactics. I believe that it might be a combination of the two, that while training to fly the Horsa's, they were given some infantry training, possibly by the guys in the Glider Pilot Regiment. However, without some sort of written proof, this is just a WAG. I do know that the formation marks were worn by vet's of the 441st TCG and 438th TCG's.

I have seen your post and that is an OUTSTANDING grouping, good luck. Hope this helps,

Mark

• 3 years later...

Bringing Bob's uniforms and grouping back up for the 75th Anniversary of D-Day. Bob flew the Elmira mission in the evening (landed at 21:20) and his 438th Troop Carrier Group's CG-4's and Horsas brought in elements of the 82nd Recon, 82nd Signal, HQ and 307th Medical.

The 'G' really did stand for guts!!

Mark

Fantastic grouping Mark and I still reserve my place as first in line for the day you decide to part with it (if that day ever comes).

Allan